1UZ + 1981 2WD Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

andrewzuku

Mostly because of a lack of money, it's taken me just over a year, but I'm nearly finished putting a 1UZ and auto gearbox into my 1981 Hilux. All that's got to go now is to wire the gauges and thermofans, and exhaust.

I'm going to stick to a fairly quiet exhaust system (2 x 2.25" through high flow cats, then into a Y-pipe and then a single 2.5" exhaust).

Enjoy the pics...

2008-01-03-02.jpg

New panels (fenders, bonnet, skirt, bumper) + 2pac paint job for $1200 AUD

2008-05-18-10.jpg

New switches for the auto transmission since I'm not using the original shifter.

2008-06-03-03.jpg

The new engine mounts - 6mm steel. they're missing some holes and big pits of polyurethane in this shot.

2008-06-08-02.jpg

The gearbox cross member is just the soarer top with a spacer made to bolt to the hilux bottom.

2008-06-09-06.jpg

The pieces of the custom sump. We had a 1UZ from a soarer which has the sump in the middle. We had to make our own sump to miss the steering. We also took out the sway bar. I'm yet to see if i need to have a custom sway bar bent up, or if it'll be ok without one.

2008-06-21-01.jpg

The oil pickup needed to be extended by 50mm.

2008-06-21-02.jpg

The new sump in place. We only lost 360ml of volume.

2008-06-22-02.jpg

The 75mm diameter by 50mm thick polyurethane engine mounts.

2008-08-15-01.jpg

Filling up with oil.

2008-09-14-01.jpg

Chrome trim rings plus center caps. I've tried to keep the ute looking stock, almost vintage.

2008-10-03-01.jpg

The shifter is a TCI Outlaw. It's not a ratchet shifter because I didn't like the fact that I'd have to ratchet twice for the space between Park and Reverse.

2008-11-01-01.jpg

New bucket seats, carpet, retrimmed (vacuum formed) dash, and generally things just chromed and painted black. The roof lining came up awesome and was just a few cans of vinyl paint.

2008-12-22-03.jpg

The surge tank and fuel pumps + filter inside the sneaky tool-box.

2009-03-05-03.jpg

Custom airbox made from PVC foam board. Photo taken in a studio light-box.

2009-03-28-01.jpg

The thermofans in place, and rubber seal on the top of the air box.

That's all for now. There's probably no need for more photos other than when I get the exhaust done anyway. Who knows how long that will be though. Gotta wait and see what money comes in before I can do more.

Andrew

2009-06-23-01.jpg

I realised I haven't taken a photo of what we did for the tailshaft...

I bought a one-piece tailshaft from a 4wd hilux since it has the slip-yoke.

We then took the flange from the soarer tailshaft and joined it to the flange from my original 2wd tailshaft at 140mm long to make a bolt-on extension.

This was done by a pro and balanced. We haven't used the rubber donut and cut the metal locators down so that the two soarer flanges would bolt straight together.

This probably isn't the strongest way to go, but the car's only gonna be a daily driver. If I ever decide to get silly with it and whack a supercharger on or something, I'll get a proper custom tailshaft.

My apologies for the blurry (depth of field) photo.

Well, it turns out that my tailshaft extension was a bad idea (surprise!!)...

I ended up putting some power down with the tailshaft vibrating, and cracked the extension housing on the transmission into 8 pieces.

Luckily I was able to buy another one with the output shaft attached from a gearbox wrecker in Rocklea called "Western Suburbs Gearboxes" for $120 AUD. I then had a custom one-piece tailshaft made and balanced professionally for $384 at "Gibbs Trucks" in Burleigh.

You can see the locating rings in the 3-bolt flange that I had cut down so that I didn't have to use the rubber donut (otherwise the front uni-joint would be all over the place).

Here's the photos of the new tailshaft.

2009-09-01-01.jpg

2009-09-01-02.jpg

2009-09-01-03.jpg

Thanks Sniper!

Here's some photos of the exhaust, just incase anyone out there want's to get ideas for their project.

I've gone with:
- 2.25" dual exuasts
- through a 2 into 1 catalytic converter
- then out as 2.5" through a muffler

It's all press-bent and mild steel (mostly due to budget), but also because I didn't want it to stand out. I'm all for sneakiness!

I got it done at Gold Coast Custom Exhausts in Labrador - (07) 5537 6388 and cost $750.

Here's the photos...

2010-02-01-01.jpg

They had to cut the flanges off and weld extensions onto the exhaust manifold to get it past the chassis, then from there it was easy.

2010-02-01-02.jpg

2 into 1 Cat

2010-02-01-03.jpg

You can see the one-piece drive-shaft and safety loop here too.

2009-07-19-01.jpg

This is how it looks now.

My plans from here are:
- Reconditioned Injectors
- New ignition rotors/cap/leads/plugs
- New tyres
- New Guages (still in-dash and stock looking though - of course)

And one day (maybe)...
- LSD diff
- Supercharger

That Hilux worth some good money here.
I believe that you have big traction problem with that tiers… right?​

Thanks mshawari1

Yeah, they're still light truck tyres (185/80R14). I pretty much have no choice with a commercial vehicle :(

The problem is that in Queensland Australia, the laws are so strick on what you can change to. It's all about load-rating. Unfortunately there's pretty much no tyre I can go to that will still be load rated to the same weight. There's also a bunch of restrictive rules about overall diameter and track width.

Even with a steel tray, the ute weighs 1280kg without me in it. The heaviest thing it'll ever carry is a couple of motorbikes (around 100kg each). So I'm tempted to just put 235/60R14s on the rear. "Bridgestone S340 Eagers" are load-rated to 710kg each.

An LSD would help alot too, since at the moment it's a "single-spinner" machine.

[FONT=&quot]I rank this swap in the TOP 10.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hey…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let’s do TOP 10 swap vote!![/FONT]

That's awesome! I think i'm going to have to do this.

Couple more questions:
- Did you go the GPS speed? Is it accurate? any other trouble etc?
- Did you have trouble with fuel guage level? I have a VN commodore fuel tank in my hilux which is very shallow and the standard guage barely works..