1 UZFE into 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Lots of people watching this & pulling for you. Hang in there; this is a fantastic swap application, and we wish you much success with it.

Everybody loves Jeeps but can't stand their powertrains.

Okay so today I am alot happier than yesterday, as I figured out what the problem was.

So listen up anyone that wants to do this swap, ensure that the junction blocks located at the passenger foot area are inserted correctly and the bolts tightened, as the jeep will have no power to anything if this is not done.

Then I have another question.

The Jeep and I suppose the lexus as well has a park/ neutral sensor which ensures that it cannot be started in gear. So would that be what is causing the jeep not to do anything when I try to start it?

Because the gearbox is not installed yet. If so would I be able to connect the two wires together to see if the engine will turn?

Thanks

Okay so I have been reading through mountains of wiring diagrams, and found the jeep wire that must go to the park neatral switch, and decided to connect that directly to the battery positive and see if the engine cranks. But nothing.

So after reading through the rest of the diagrams, I am now convinced that I may have cut one of the wires that goes from the fuse box to the powertrain control module of the Jeep, as there is no power on the cable that runs to the solenoid, and also no power that runs to the voltage meter on the instrument cluster, so I will have to go and have a look at the wires that runs from the fuses to the power train control module, and see if I may have cut the wire by accident.

If that doesn't work and I don't find the problem, I will wire the solenoid wire directly from the relay and see if that helps.

So wish me luck as I brave the fearless jeep wiring.

Cheers

Okay so I have been a bit of an idiot to try and connect the park/neutral sensor to the battery positive as it must actually be connected to the battery negative.

Once I did that the engine cranked. But according to the management system installation guide it should have a green light flashing while the engine is cranking, and it doesn't. So I figured out that the green light is connected to the crank & TDC sensors, and tried to figure out which wires goes where, but it was a bit of a mission, so luckily with the help of cribbj I have the diagrams and was able to figure out which wires to connect to which, so now that, that is done I am waiting for my usb cable and then I can connect the engine to the map software and see what to set where, and then hopefully i can get the engine to start up.

Anyway thats all for now

Cheers

Okay so after a few hours of going through all the drawings, I finally figured out which wire from the sensors to connect to which wires from the EMU, and that is now done. But still no green light flashing, but I also saw in the installation guide that I need to first connect the emu to the laptop, and adjust a few settings before trying to start the engine, so I am now eagarly awaiting my cable to connect, then I will do the adjustments and try again,

But so far, it seems that my wires are connected correctly. Except that I forgot to connect the one new relay, so I corrected that quickly. So we shall see when the cable comes what the engine does.

ps. I will be posting some pictures soon, not much to see at this stage as the wiring doesn't really look all that different everytime I work on it.

Cheers

Hi guys, so I finally figured out the wiring and after a quick phone call to the guys at spitronics, I found out that the wiring was still wrong. Spitronics gives you a different crank gear for the pick up, and with that gear installed you don't need to connect the TDC sensors, so only the crank pick up had to be connected, so finally that is now sorted out.

But then while I had the engine stripped to change that gear, it dawned on me that I have no idea how many km's the engine has on it, so it would probably be alot better to change the timing belt, as it would be a shame to drive only a few km's and then having the engine seeze up because the timing belt broke. So I bought a few things and changed them:

-Timing belt
-Spark plugs
-Oilfilter
-Oil.

So now that, that is done I installed the engine. And I got the gearbox back with the adapter for the transfer case. So I will be installing that soon. I also finished the brackets for the radiator, as it was bolted to the intercooler and the intercooler bolted to the jeep, so that is all changed now.
I have also connected the engine to the laptop and everything shows the way it should, so that is good. And I managed to start making the wiring a bit neater.

So as promised here are a few photos.

Cheers

Attachments

• Engine Stripped.jpg
    Engine Stripped.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Gearbox with adapter plate.jpg
    Gearbox with adapter plate.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Wiring neater.jpg
    Wiring neater.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Wiring neater 1.jpg
    Wiring neater 1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 71
Mnr Venter, Ek het n engine gekoop , een van hierdie ingevoerdes en die ding is so te se nog splinternuut. Ek het die motor uitmekaar gehaal en afmetings gemaak. 6/100 stes op die silinders en die res is nog baie goed. N nuwe "cam belt" is goeie asuransie in die geval. Voorspoed en geniet die Spitronics, goeie sisteempie..

mnr venter, ek het n engine gekoop , een van hierdie ingevoerdes en die ding is so te se nog splinternuut. Ek het die motor uitmekaar gehaal en afmetings gemaak. 6/100 stes op die silinders en die res is nog baie goed. N nuwe "cam belt" is goeie asuransie in die geval. Voorspoed en geniet die spitronics, goeie sisteempie..

???

Mr Venter, I bought an engine, one of the imported ones and the engine is almost brand new still.I stripped the engine and did some measuring . 6/100ths wear on the cylinders and the rest is as new.A new cambelt is good assurance in this case. Goodluck and enjoy the Spitronics,good little sytem...

Mnr Venter, Ek het n engine gekoop , een van hierdie ingevoerdes en die ding is so te se nog splinternuut. Ek het die motor uitmekaar gehaal en afmetings gemaak. 6/100 stes op die silinders en die res is nog baie goed. N nuwe "cam belt" is goeie asuransie in die geval. Voorspoed en geniet die Spitronics, goeie sisteempie..

Mr Venter, I bought an imported engine and it is more or less brand new. I took the motor apart and measured everything. 6/100th's on the cylinders and the rest is also very good. A new cambelt is good insurance. Good luck and enjot the Spitronics, its a good system....

Hey Guys

Sorry for the small amount of pics, but as I said not much difference when you do wiring, and believe me it takes alot of time.

But then again, if I just wanted the engine to run it would probably have taken me four hours to wire the engine. Thats how easy the spitronics system is, but I had to figure out which wires to keep for the jeep electronics to still function correctly, so that was a hell of a mission.

Bigkriss
I had a look at your swap on the ford and I must say it looks very good as well. En ja 'n nuwe "cam belt" is 'n moet want ek sou myself lelik gevloek het as ek die enjin na 'n paar kilos moes oordoen omdat ek net lui was. ( And yes a new cam belt is a must as I would have cursed myself if I had to take the engine apart after only a few kilometers because I was lazy.)

Anyway will try and post some more pics in the next week or so.

Cheers

Hi Guys

I know its been quite a while since my last post, but I only got back to working on the jeep this weekend.
I was battling to get the gearbox fitted with the engine already in the jeep, so I finaly gave up and decided to take out the engine and fit the gearbox on the ground. It took me about half an hour to take the engine out, and about one minute to fit the gearbox properly, if I knew it was going to be so easy to fit the gearbox on the ground I would have done it a long time ago, and besides it gave me a chance to close all the wiring properly, and extend the exhaust manifolds as well.

So now the engine and gearbox is back in the engine bay, but after all the extras were fitted, i.e. the manifolds and gearbox with adapter plate, I realised that my engine mountings are too far back, and are also too low, so I had to take them out again and I am now busy modifying them again, so once that is done, then I can finally fit everything and finish up the gearbox wiring, and then I can finally try to start the engine and get to the fine tunning of the management system.

Anyway thats all for now, but I will update this thread regularly again, and also post some pics of the jeeps interior.

Cheers for now.

I'm amazed at your patience with the wiring, if I do decide to go this route with my 2.7 Diesel Laredo I'll have to pick your brain a lot.
Can you post some pics on the mounts you made, and some pics of the match between the transfer case and gearbox once installed in the Jeep - how much did the engineering set you back for the adapter, and what did the other bits and pieces put you back sofar? Was the spline count on the outputshaft of the gearbox the same as on the original gearbox as well as the diameter or did you have to have it modified?

Last edited:
Hi Guys

So I finally got the Jeep started this weekend, and let me tell you there is no better sound in the world, it was like christmas for me when she fired up.

Anyway, before I got to starting it, I battled a bit with getting the gearbox back on to the engine, with the engine installed. So finally I had to take the engine out, and install the gearbox on the floor. After all the work of unplugging all the wires and pipes and taking the engine out, it took a very little nudge to get the gearbox on. So after that was done I decided to extend the exhaust manifold while the engine was out, so once finished with welding on the extra pipe, I reinstalled the engine. And like the jeep has been through this entire project, I had to change the engine mounting brackets, as the engine would not fit again. So I had to lift the engine and move it forward a bit. So I finally finished that up, and reinstalled them, got all the wiring plugged in, and started to try and get the jeep started up.
It didn't want to fire, so I thought I would have to go and open up all the wiring again, to do some fault finding, but luckily I figured out that I had connected the 12V feed wires running to the relays, to the diesel's glow plug heater relay. So I quickly cut them and connected them directly to the battery, and about three or four turns and she fired up.
At that very moment I am sure I was the happiest man alive, it felt like winning the lottery.

Hey wynanddb
Yes the wiring was quite a struggle, but luckily I downloaded the wiring diagrams for the jeep from the internet, and alot of help with the forum members, it made life a little easier for me.
But yes I must say I have lost all faith in the Jeep Diesel Engine, I have heard about so many people that lost their engines a few times, it seems that they only know how to make a petrol engine. Anyway you can fire away with the questions, I am sure I will be able to help with them in some way.
And as for the gearbox and transfer case, I decided to make ('n boer maak n plan) adapter for it. As I took the end piece of the jeep shaft, and got the engineering shop to precisely line up the shaft with the shaft of the lexus gearbox. The guy then shrunk the piece over the shaft of the lexus, and welded it for extra strength and durability, he guaranteed me that I would rather break a drave shaft than, the shaft that he shrunk and welded. Then he made an adapter plate out of angle iron, and closed it with plate. Now on the original jeep the shaft running into the transfer case used to run in oil. But it will now run dry, so that is the only major change I have done to that part.

And as far as costs goes, I have spend about R 19 200-00 so far, with the breakdown as follows:

Engine and gearbox: R 5000
Spitronics management: R 6200
Engineering: R 4500
Tools & Equipment: R 4000

Then I still have to sort out the cooling system, which I will try and get done this week. Then I have to go back to the engineering shop to get spacers made up for between the shocks and the body, as I need to lift the jeep about 70 mm, because the space between the arms on top of the front diff and the engine mounts are too close for comfort, so the first time I get to a croos axle situation I am going to loose an engine mount.
Then once the height is correct I have to measure the spize of the drive shafts and get them done.

Then it is only small things like aircon left to do.

But I will post some pics again this week.

Cheers for now

I am busy with the same project as you.The motor,gearbox and spitronics system has been installed. So far so good. I am just struggling without a wiring diagram for the 3.1.

Could you please tell me where I can find a link to it on the net.

Thanks

Hey Guys

Just thought I would put up an update since I haven't been on the site for over four months.

During all the house renovations, and trying to run the business and still buying some properties I managed to finish what I can on the Jeep. It is now at a workshop where they will do the finishing touches for me so that I can drive it out of there in the next three weeks or so.
They will machine some spacers for me to lift the jeep, then the drive shafts needs to lenghtened and balanced. They also need to manufacture an exhaust pipe, and radiator hoses then put the last bits and pieces on and I have a drivable vehicle again.

Oh yes and then they will dyno it for me as well, I can't tell you how excited I am about taking her for the first spin around the block as I have been busy with this project since August 2010, so finally I am at a point where the end is so near that I can almost touch it.

And then once all this is said and done I can finally start on my other project, the 1934 Willys 77. That is going to be nice new project to tackle.

Anyway that's it for now, I will post some pics and maybe a video once its done.

Cheers