1 UZ in a VH Commodore

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

VH 1UZ-FE

Hi all! This is the best forum I have ever seen. Keep it UP!

I am putting a 1 UZ-FE in a VH Commodore. I have only just started the project and was just wondering if there are any tricks for the youngsters I should look out for. I have just gotten then engine out of the half cut and it is now sitting in the VH. It fits very nice. I have drawn up a plate for the sump pan (i have to move it forward 100mm) and it is currently getting laser cut. I have some VH V8 engine mounts here and i will be fitting them up soon too. Thats where I am up to.

My main question for now is do any of you guys know if there is some sort of plans or generic wiring harness available just for the engine? The wiring job is a bit of a mess at the moment and this would be a huge help.
Also, one of you guys mentioned in one of your threads is that there are workshop manuals available on ebay. I can't find them. Does anyone wanna sell me one, or know where i can get one from.

Thanks.

Ahhh...The ol' VH...

I had one of these (a fully specced SL/E) some years back. Man, did I love that car! Had a 253 in it, and eventually I had extractors and a W58 5-speed put in it. (Wish I'd kept it for a 1UZ project).

Anyway, enough of my nostalgic bullshit.

As much as I've had some hassles with 'em, I'd suggest that you give Toyospares a call (Don't have the number - theyr'e Vic based - shouldn't be too hard to find). From the ads I've read for them, they apparently can make generic looms for import engines. I can't say for sure if they will do one for a 1U, but I know for a fact that they supplied and fitted a 1UZ and manual gearbox into a WB ute, so it's safe to say that they may be able to help...

Thanks!
I rang Toyota's head office in Vic, and in Brisbane, and they both couldn't help me. So I don't know. If I was to make one, and then do up a diagram of it, how many of you guys would be interested in it? I reckon if there was a wiring harness out there that would simply kick the engine over, then it would come in quite handy for us all. Let me know what you all think.

Hi VH 1UZ-FE, Iam putting a 1UZ into my VL Calais, how did u go with the brake booster?? From my measurements it looks like it will not clear the rocker cover and will need to be a) moved or b) the rocker cover scalloped a little.

Also what sump did u have - i have a 1UZ with a front sump and was hoping it would clear ok without having to get a new one made.

Hey MaxPower,
I got a toyota crown half cut, which is the mid bowl sump. I had to move the bowl forward 100mm to fit. Also, the brake booster was no problems. Its a tight fit, about 1-2 inch clearance down the bottom, but the engine has to come down a little more yet.
Send me an email, and i may be able to organise an adaptor kit for you if you are interested. E.g, engine mounts, tranny mounts, sump adaptor plate, etc.

[email protected]

Also, I should let u know that my bonnet will no longer fit. i am gonna have to make a scoop or power-bulge of some sort. Have you fitted your engine in yet?how does your bonnet fit? have you thought about this problem? keep in touch with your progress mate.
Thanks.

Cheers for the info. I have only just got my engine - a '93 front sump with an auto from another motor so i could get the slip yoke version. I will start working on wiring up the Delco over the weekend and also to start work on developing an auto trans computer to shift the box automatically - any help from Kdog would be great :)

I know two VL's over here in Perth that have done the conversion and as far as i know the bonnet fitted fine so i was never concerned about it. I would have thought the VH would have more clearence too. Also my measurements of the EFI 5Li have in the car now show the engine to be pretty close height wise to the 1UZ, the EFI motor just clears the bonnet though. hmmm maybe i will have to keep this in mind, hope not though :( didnt want a bonnet scoop/bulge.

Thanx for the offer on the conversion kit, i will email u later when i get closer to looking at fitting it, wont be for a month or two at this stage.

Toyospares are not the Toyota spare parts section They are a different company.
I dont think toyota would be able to help with a loom for VH commodore to 1UZ-FE
Try Quick fit motorsport Hornsby,
Castle Auto Electrics,
GMH spare parts, only kidding!

Cheers

For the crown standard ecu Scott at Venom fabrication in queensland 0732083224 will do an exchange loom for the engine or engine and box depends on which box you are running. He strips it down to the essentials he has put masses of hours into developing a loom that then gives zero problems and keeps all of the nice factory feel. give him a call he can be realy helpfull.
it would be a realy good way to go. keeping stock managment will save a lot of cash. and run as smooth as a baby. If you are not wanting mods like cams, FI etc.

AS for things to look out for
Double your calculation of expected budget.
shop around but cheap is not always cheap in the long run.
The only one you can realy trust to do the job right is yourself.
Set a plan and stick to it, if you want FI aim at it from the start try to do just one build

Sounds like a nice streeter welcome to the forum.
How much room do you have between the engine and fire wall?

There is about 7 inches gap between the firewall and the engine, and about 5 inches gap between the front pulleys and the radiator. I am keeping the ECU off the crown and the transmission too. I am not changing a thing. I will give scott a call. He sounds good. Thanks for the tips everyone. I think i will end up having a crack at the loom myself, and see how it goes. You are all very helpful. Keep in touch!

P.S. I think i am gonna make some extractors. The exhaust that come off it looks like something i would see on my Corolla. It is pretty pathetic I reckon. The only problem is room. Does anyone have any tips?

VH 1UZ-FE said:
There is about 7 inches gap between the firewall and the engine, and about 5 inches gap between the front pulleys and the radiator. I am keeping the ECU off the crown and the transmission too. I am not changing a thing. I will give scott a call. He sounds good. Thanks for the tips everyone. I think i will end up having a crack at the loom myself, and see how it goes. You are all very helpful. Keep in touch!

P.S. I think i am gonna make some extractors. The exhaust that come off it looks like something i would see on my Corolla. It is pretty pathetic I reckon. The only problem is room. Does anyone have any tips?

If you can actually make the extractors yourself, I'd say go for it! I imagine it will bery tight in a VH (it's bloody tight in my Cressida)...

If, however, you are going to have to get someone else to fabricate them for you, I'd suggest that you'll be up for $$. (I will end up spending somewhere around the $3000 mark when I eventually get it done, primarily because I don't know anyone who can weld and bend piping who would do it for "mate's rates"...)

1uz-mx83 - could always buy mandrel bends off the shelf and then mig/tig them together (even get an exhaust shop to do this bit for ya - save a bit of money there)

vh 1uz-fe - 7 inches gap from the back of the motor to the firewall seems quite large - why did you mount it so far forward? is the trans bell causing issues in the VH's trans tunnel by chance?

with respect exhausts have a look at the following pic (http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-4-1076550971.jpg) - might give you some ideas of where to start...

hey grega
we sat it there because of the sump mainly. We have already moved the sump pan forward 110mm, and it is sitting f$%&*#g perfect!! It is a nice fit arouind the cross member. So that is the main reason why there is that much space. another reason is that the engine mounts are also sitting pretty close the the VH engine mounts. There is still heaps of room for the radiator and fans etc.

thanks for the reply. the exhaust looks awesome. But there is still no way in the world that would fit in my car. I think i am going to design my own.

vh did you use a front sump or a mid? i think you said somewhere you used a mid.

understand why now.

um, what gearbox are you going to run - manual or auto, and, how does the gearbox crossmember look like mounting up?

yes that is a cool pic, love that work there....indeed i don't think mine will be that elaborate (i just got back from picking my 1uz up) i'm thinking 2 lots of 2 into one each side then two pipes - gotta have a look at pacemakers idea for the 253 and 308s in the VH as an example...

i used a mid. and made a plate up that re-positions the sump forward and rotated 180 degrees. It fits bloody nice. I suprised myself. I am running the standard auto that came with the half cut. I am an engineering student, and I am going to design my extractors and exhaust etc for my thesis. Any help from anyone will be good.
Grega, what are u putting your engine in? i can't remember if u told me or not.

info

hey guys, im located in perth, was wondering if i could come round (if you live in perth) and check out ur 1uzfe conversion...... by the way,, did you have to modify the steering @ all, as to my calculations the steering will be smack bang right were the exhaust meets the exhaust manifold? any info would be great!!
cheers fellas
justin