Search results

1. cribbj

best engine to convert to natural gas

Fred, I'm assuming you're wanting this for standby or emergency power, so you'll want a synchronous alternator and not something you'll be running in parallel with the local utility? So you'll need to decide if you're wanting to run the engine at 1200, 1800 or 3600 RPM which are the synchronous...
  2. cribbj

Compound system

JustenGT8 did a compound setup with a supercharger & a turbo IIRC, or it might've been twin turbos (memory fails me). But it didn't work out for whatever reason. Maybe too much boost for his engine?
  3. cribbj

Vendor supercharged manifolds for sale

Jordy's manifolds involved a lot of welding & labor. He was one of the firsts to do it, but better cast alternatives appeared soon after.
  4. cribbj

VALVES

The early 2UZ's had shim under bucket solid lifters, so the valve lash definitely needs checking/adjusting once in awhile. Something in the back of my head tells me the later 2UZ's (maybe the VVTi models?) had self adjusting hydraulic lifters but I could definitely be wrong on that....
  5. cribbj

Hey Blizz, I'm not aware that "any" of the old Lextreme parts that David Phan was selling are...

Hey Blizz, I'm not aware that "any" of the old Lextreme parts that David Phan was selling are still available. The site's new owner has been thinking "maybe" to get back into the parts business but so far has not made a decision, AFAIK.
  6. cribbj

Cooling system overhaul on a Lexus 1UZ engine

Hey Clint, welcome! The key words I picked up on in your post were "....electric fan." Most of us drank that Koolaid years ago that an electric fan was an upgrade, then later discovered it didn't cool as well as the mechanical. If I were you I'd do the following: 1. Flush the cooling system...
  7. cribbj

COP seal to plug tube.

Hey Doug, great solution! I remember this issue popping up when I was using bike coils for my 1UZ project, and I ignored it while we were on the dyno, but needed to find a solution once we were off the dyno.......
  8. cribbj

Triumph TR7 3UZ swap. Classic waste of time, effort, space and Money

Oh no, another one comes out of the closet...... LOL OK confession time: first car I owned was a dam P1800 Volvo. A brit car posing as Swedish. Used to enjoy watching the road passing through the rusted out floorboards. Finally put some plyboard down so I wouldn't forget and stick my foot...
  9. cribbj

Axis, you do realize your credibility is shot now with this claim? British cars are NEVER straight & rust free, LOL.
  10. cribbj

Sack religious swap

All good points, and the UZ's are somewhat similar as far as aftermarket support. There's "some" bolt-on stuff out there, but when it comes to turbos, there'll be a lot of fabrication involved. You may want to consider the 4.7 liter 2UZ engine in lieu of the 1UZ as you'll get the immediate...
  11. cribbj

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and reminding me how Triumph mgt completely lost the plot (and the company) after the TR6. It's amazing how many car companies come out with something like the 7, and it's an immediate "WTF were they thinking?" Some survive these blunders, others don't I...
  12. cribbj

HELP TO MODIFY 1992 SC400 ENGINE

Nitrous
  13. cribbj

Sack religious swap

Well we're all fans of the 1UZ here so I doubt you'll get much backlash here for doing it, but it seems to me you're gonna spend a ton of money doing the swap, and not see any return on it until you turbo the UZ, so the obvious question is "why don't you turbo or supercharge your existing motor"...
  14. cribbj

Most-bang-for-the-buck 1UZFE Mods

Hellyea, This is Gloverman in the flesh, LOL!!! One of the most knowledgeable, honest, and trustworthy 1UZ guys anywhere. Any evaluation and/or endorsement of a product by Kelvin is good enough for me....
  15. cribbj

2uz to 1urfe, gen 2

Craig, the UR's are huge compared to the UZ's, probably due to the chain drives on the cams vs the single toothed belt on the UZ. If your UZ installation was tight, my guess is that the UR will not fit. Haven't heard/read of anyone actually doing one, however.
  16. cribbj

UK tundra 2uzfe blown :( help please guys

Our member JustenGT8 once tried to convert a non-VVTi 1UZ block t/b a VVTi block so he could use some VVTi heads, etc. I recall that the big difference he found was an oil passage in the VVTi block that the non-VVTi block didn't have. This passage was to power the hydraulics in the VVTi system...
  17. cribbj

V12 in a Toyota Tacoma

Same with the BMW V12's. They were meant to power big, heavy luxobarges comfortably up to 150 mph without straining, but they weren't intended for high HP applications. Those (like me) who have tried to turn them into cheap Ferrari wannabe V12's have wound up spending more than the real thing...
  18. cribbj

1uz running better with AFM unplugged

Thanks for the update Jay! Good to hear you're still fooling with it and hope you get the knock sorted out! Changing the knock sensors would definitely be high on my To Do List. They can't be that expensive - or shoot, just try picking up some used ones from a junkyard pull and see what happens?
  19. cribbj

V12 in a Toyota Tacoma

Cool - I don't know if these GZ projects are jinxed or what, but quite a few people start them and don't finish. Good luck with yours!
  20. cribbj

3UZ supercharging overview & questions

Fantastic news - can't wait to see pics of both types! Hopefully they'll be of a modular construction with an add-on section for intercoolers. Great question - most who have started with low boost wanted more so they cranked it up and that's where the damage occurred. Also most have done this...