Search results

1. M

Flex-hone or pay the pros?

I usually encourage people who seem interested in DYI stuff--but this is one of those things that seems simple (and it sort of is), but is VERY easy to mess up. There are many ways this could go wrong--and you won't know for a few hundred or a thousand miles. I have done it a few times on a...
  2. M

DO NOT take cheap cross drilled rotors to the track!!

Yes, it is a rear. I have adjustable brake bias, and it was set with WAY too much rear bias. How hard are you on the brakes after a run? Because unless you are at the limit of traction EVERY time, and have wide sticky tires up front--then I wouldn't worry. It probably does, because my first...
  3. M

This is exactly what I have heard. When I was first putting the car together, I just wanted some cheap rotors--and found that cross drilled and slotted ones weren't much more than plain ones, plus they look cooler. No more drilled or slotted for me. When I saw how cracked the rotor was, the...
  4. M

Everyone should already know it, but... This happened at my last driving event at the Streets of Willow, on Aug. 16. I got these rotors off ebay years ago, and they lasted almost 5000 street miles and a couple of previous driving events with no issues. I was driving REALLY hard this time, and...
  5. M

Air resonator box: retain/delete?

I thought I saw a test several years ago where they found they LOST a few HP by deleting it. Something to do with resonant frequencies in the intake.
  6. M

what is a safe AFR?

Mine has lasted 5000 miles running these numbers at 10 lbs/6000RPM--and it spends a high percentage of its time at WOT.
  7. M

My car on The Smoking Tire

Those of you who have been here for a while may remember my posts while this car was being built a few years ago. I will say again that there is no way this car could have been built (let alone come out so well) without the input I got from this forum. If you want to see and hear it in action...
  8. M

Throttle Body The Right Way Up??

I am running a TB off a Ford F350 upside down with no problems. I needed to do this for linkage clearance. Mark
  9. M

Blow by

I am running an M112 supercharger, and I was also having PCV problems. I had done what Lex said NOT to do, namely plugging the passenger side vent and letting the PCV valve on the driver's side do all the work. When on boost, I was getting oil blowing past the valve cover gasket on the...
  10. M

1UZ into 89 240sx swap

Looks good. Can't wait to see it going sideways.
  11. M

Running the flex plate AND a flywheel

I don't have experience with your exact situation, but as someone who has cobbled together more stuff than most I will give my opinion. I am guessing you are trying to keep the flexplate for the ring gear, but want a particular clutch set up that is not the correct size for a 1UZ. I don't...
  12. M

Wanted WTB: Stock SC400 Exhaust Manifolds

I don't know how I missed this post. I hope you got them by now. Let me know if you didn't, I'll find the tracing info. Mark
  13. M

Newbie looking into 1UZ into a TE27 Corolla

I agree about the balance--it will be worse. TE27's are light, fairly nimble cars, but are already front heavy. Now if you are drag racing or drifting, then it will be a great set up. But there is definitely something to be said for low RPM torque: 250 HP from a V8 will be way more fun than...
  14. M

Sent it out Standard Post yesterday.
  15. M

I'll stop by the Post Office on the way home today.
  16. M

I guess you can't receive PM's, so here you go: I double checked the motor these came off of, and It is a rear sump--so I assume it was an SC400. I don't know if the LS exhausts are different. I boxed them up and UPS shipping to 96825 is $115 for ground or $135 for 2nd day air. USPS was...
  17. M

I think I have a set. I got the engine for free, so if I can find them, I'll let you have them for shipping plus $10. Mark
  18. M

My track day at California Speedway

I wanted a six speed, but a V160 would be WAY too much $$$--so I went T56. In hind sight, an R154 would probably have been fine. It definitely would have been easier, and my drivetrain would have been all Toyota. Although it is cool to be cruising at 80 and be turning less than 2000 rpm. Mark
  19. M

That's what is so awesome about the 1UZ: slap some forced induction on a junkyard motor and make 300-400 HP all day!!! And I am using a T56 trans. Mark
  20. M

yeah, mine's a '92. When I get it running halfway decent over 5000 RPM, I'll try to get it on a dyno and see what I get. When will you have your new set up running? Mark