Search results

1. J

DBW Throttle Issue

I'm doing a 3UZ transplant, and the donor had a funny issue. It runs, but if you stab the throttle it coughs and bogs. Engine is now running independently from the body loom, and having pulled the inlet snorkel off, it's apparent what the problem is. The engine will progressively rev, all the...
  2. J

What should the range for TPS be?

I'm reading TPS with Techstream. The lowest it seems to go, with the butterfly closed is 11%. The maximum is 86% - this is by manually pushing the butterfly too it's limits. Allowing the DBW to move the butterfly (and visually inspecting that it is indeed open / closed) give's readings of 14%...
  3. J

1UZ VVTi hits a "wall" at around 4.5krpm

Hello all, Engine has been in the car for a while now, and I've done a couple of track-days. Everything is going very well - sounds fantastic, still handles well, and goes like stink.... sort of.... Up to 4krpm it pulls like a train, but then by 4.5k it hits a wall and won't punch any...
  4. J

VVTi into MX5 (Miata)

Very nearly there now! After a mild panic that I wasn't getting any oil pressure, followed by bit of swearing, a lot of prayer, some identification of stupidity and quite a bit of patience and we're up with plenty of oil pressure.
  5. J

Deleting the stock oil pressure switch

Hello, Does thee ECU rely on the oil pressure switch signal for anything, other than to flash a light on the dash? I am not using the stock dash and will be running separate gauges. Besides this, I have ditched the stock gooseneck that the filter etc fits onto, and relocated the filter, so...
  6. J

Heater matrix hoses - which is which?

I'd like to use my heater in my transplant, but need to know which is which when it comes to the two coolant pipes which run to the matrix. The flow control is all inside the cabin of my car, so I just need to plumb the engine in and do away with the valves etc on the lexus engine. Which pipe...
  7. J

Fuel Pressure Regulator for VVTi

My 1998 engine has (had) the in tank regulator with no return to tank from the engine. It's all going into an MX5 (Miata for the Yanks), but has a walbro and uses a return to tank. What is the recommendation for FPR, without using the stuff from the original LS400 tank? I have an adjustable...
  8. J

How thick are the heads on ARP flywheel bolts?

I need to know how thick the head is on the ARP flywheel bolts - i.e. how proud do they sit from the flywheel? If anyone knows, it would be quite useful! Cheers Nick
  9. J

Running the flex plate AND a flywheel

I've dug up a few threads on this where people have talked about doing it, but then I've also not read any threads where the success or failure has been discussed. I guess no news is good news, and I didn't find the site littered with horror stories, so.... My plan is to run a flywheel to...
  10. J

Tundra header - sizes?

Hello, Purely from the perspective of packaging, do the typical ebay tundra headers reduce the over all width of the engine? Just trying to work out if they might be a cheap way to slim the engine down as well as being a better design than stock 1UZ
  11. J

Removing viscous fan pulley

Dumb question, possibly.... :) Engine is a 1998 VVTi 1UZ from a UCF20. Am I right in saying that the pulley for the viscous fan (on the serpentine belt) drives just the fan, and nothing else behind - e.g. the water pump? The water pump is independently driven by the timing belt, yes? Not...
  12. J

Any significant reasons to keep the stock gauges?

So, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Is there anything of specific use on the dash that might be useful? Speedo, fuel gauge, oil pressure and water temp I have covered in the car it's going in. Tacho should be fairly easy to pick up on the vehicle clocks. Is there anything...
  13. J

Reprogramming keys with just the ECM

When I got the donor, I reprogrammed a spare key for it, which involved opening and closing the door, pressing the pedals and putting the key in and out. Is this all still possible without a lot of the body loom? IIRC, the door opening bit was for the remote keyfob, which I don't need. I...
  14. J

Some OBDII and Data Link questions

So, I'm trying to get my OBDII port up and running. As I understand it, the OBD Port is Data Link Connector 3 Following the wiring diagrams, I see there should be 4 pins wired up on the plug: pin 7 - SIL (with a grounded shield) pin 16 - +12V pin 4 - CG (grounded) pin 5 - SG (grounded) I...
  15. J

Running without the fuel pump resistor

Does anyone get overfuelling issues on idle by running 12V to the pump all he time? As I understand it, the ECU should drop the pump rate on idle by running it through a resistor. Or does it not matter because it's running in closed loop and so the ECU will trim fuel?
  16. J

VVTi ECU - some wire colours are "wrong"

So, I've taken the plunge and cut off the three plugs (E11, E15 and E16) from my loom and will be wiring these from scratch. I have a pinout diagram for the ECU, and the plugs all match up, as do most of the colours. Was there ever any variation in the VVTi ECUs? Or is it just Toyota changing...
  17. J

White / black wires - are they all grounds?

Most of them seem to be, but then I have a load left that I can no longer trace to an earthing point (slight over exuberance when first cutting stuff out... :D ) Is it safe to assume that anything white with a black line is going to need to be grounded? Car is a 1998 LS400 with VVTi...
  18. J

1998 LS400 - How to power the front seats up?

Bit of a dumb ass move - I've removed most of the loom now, but haven't removed the seats :rolleyes: So, where does the power to the seats run? Is it on of the the looms that runs down the sides, or the one that goes down the centre? Any guesses as to which wire, if given 12v, will...
  19. J

What's the minimum I need for a running VVTi?

Am I right in saying that I just need ECU, engine (including sensors), key, immobiliser and ignition barrel, and then just add 12v and fuel? Is there anything else I need for a 1998 VVTi LS400? MPX?
  20. J

I really screwed this up - help please!!

OK - So I thought I was going about this the right way. My plan was to stip back the wiring loom in the car, tracing wires back until I had the bare minimum, and then get the engine out, the loom out, plug it all together on the workshop floor and fire it up, before getting things running...