Search results

1. S

Facelift LS400 front sheet metal on early car?

Front end on my 90' LS getting rough, and I have access to a 97. Anybody try swapping the front end off a later car to an earlier one? Knowing how Toyota does things, I'm thinking the fenders and hood would bolt right up? (I can change the core support too if needed).
  2. S

98 VVTi transplant into 91 LS400 - Hitting rev limiter.

I think I may know the answer, but not the solution. I did a transplant and it runs and drives fine. I also swapped in the Ring and Pinion from a 98 SC300 (and a Supra Torsen LSD) to get a shorter final drive (3.26 to 4.27) and am running smaller diameter tires too, all to make the car quicker...
  3. S

UCF10 - More front camber?

Any easy/cheap solutions? Mine is lowered for performance, but not over-lowered for looks. I can only get -1.1L -1.6R out of the stock adjusters. I need more like -2.5 for racing purposes. I guess I could modify the cams and machine out the slots a bit, but looking for less annoying solution...
  4. S

LS400 bodywork - will late one front end bolt onto early gen 1?

I've got a 91' and popped somebody in my last race who suddenly braked mid-corner and surprised me. I found a decent price on a 95'. I know the front sheet metal is different, but doors still look the same? Since this was a minor model change (chassis still the same) I'm thinking the later sheet...
  5. S

Just to confirm - Stock ECU works ok still without the AT connected? (650E)

I know lots of folks have done manual conversions - What I'm not clear on is if the stock ECU has any issues with all the trans plugs disconnected? Looks like I have a line on getting a standalone TCU for the 650, but unclear if it will give me ECU issues without anything connected to the stock...
  6. S

A650e Trans controller... has ANYBODY successfully run one?

I did search, but didn't see much. factory programming blows on track, and that's even with a properly race built trans. Looking for options. Thanks!
  7. S

Transmission cooler lines broken. Replacements available?

Pulling the 1998 GS400 trans for rebuild, the cooler lines broke when trying to remove at the fitting. What's best way to repair? Get own fittings and soft aluminum line and bend up new, or are these still available? If I need to make my own, anybody know off hand the fitting and tubing size...
  8. S

A650e Improvements?

I road race my 91LS with a 98GS400 driveline. The shifts are slow and slurred which is great for grandpa, but not great for racing - only the 4-5 shift feels at all crisp. I know about shimming the valves, but was thinking a fresh upgraded trans would be nice. Is the stock converter ok or do...
  9. S

GS400 1998 Random no-start <solved>

This is a transplant. Car has been running great, instant start, runs smooth etc... Suddenly I'm getting no-starts randomly. It cranks fine, and starter spins over quickly, but doesn't catch or catches and dies right away. Seems to be totally random. Either it starts immediately or not at all...
  10. S

How to test ABS wiring?

Hi, I did a transplant using a 99GS400 braking system and not sure I got all the ABS sensors wired correctly. Is there any easy way to make sure I got the polarity right on each wheel sensor? My ABS isn't working, but brakes function fine otherwise.
  11. S

99GS400 VVTI engine running rich.... (Transplant)

I transplanted this engine in a 90LS400 using the original fuel tank and pump and converted to return less using the GS in tank regulator. Its a race car, and I have dual exhaust, side exit and not cats but stock exhaust manifolds. Ever since, its been running rich. I put a fuel gauge on it and...
  12. S

98' GS400, No cats, aftermarket intake - running very rich. Is this normal?

I swapped a 98' GS400 driveline into my old LS race car. I've got no cats, "straight pipe" exhaust and cone intake without the stock resonator. It seems to run fine, but its clearly rich and when I pull the plugs all 8 are sopping wet but look normal otherwise. Is this normal? I've got a race...
  13. S

GS400 Brake pedal soft.

Hi gang, did a full systems swap from a 99'GS into my 91LS. I'm having a problem with the brake pedal being soft. I've bled them 5 times now. Is there some trick with the hydro booster? It stops, but pedal travel is really long which is a confidence buster on the race track. I can't adjust the...
  14. S

Remedial wiring (99' GS400)

Did a motor swap in my 91' LS from a 99' GS, including complete engine, trans and most of the wiring harness, including the cluster, Immo, key, ECU etc. So I plugged everything in I could, and dash lights up, but not sure: 1. What are the symptoms of the Immo saying "no"? - When I turn the...
  15. S

99' GS400 Wiring

Got more or less the full engine, trans, brakes, ESC, Cluster, working Key Steering Column and wiring harness from a wrecked 99' GS 400 (VVT/5 speed) and put in my 91 LS body shell. I got all the mechanical bits sorted, and the full engine/trans harness is intact and in place. I'm trying to get...
  16. S

Help! Fried front hub, can't find replacement..

Any ideas? I'm racing my 1991 LS400, so don't want to use junkyard parts... Having trouble finding on online.
  17. S

Which is the pressure side of the trans pump?

I've got a 91LS400 (not running at the moment to 99 GS400 engine swap in progress) and looking down from the engine compartment, there are two trans cooler lines. One that comes straight forward and one that goes off at an angle. Which is the pressure side? Since I can't start it right now, I'm...
  18. S

1991LS vs 1998GS ABS?

So, I'm doing a 1998 GS400 driveline and wiring transplant into my 1991 LS400. Since it would take me forever to do otherwise, I'm swapping over most of the 1998 wiring harness, but not 100% sure if the ABS pickups (number of teeth) is the same between the old and the new. I'll be using the 1998...
  19. S

Timing belt tensioner.... Is it supposed to not move?

So, doing the timing belt replacement, I notice when I tighten down the allen head bolt on the timing belt tensioner pulley, it doesn't move. Shouldn't it be free to pivot? I left it a little lose, pulled the pin on the tensioner, cranked it around several times to make sure the timing was on...
  20. S

Remove water pump and thermostat housing

Doing new timing belt etc. and I can't get those damn things off! I broke off one of the pump lift ears already.. how do get these to loosen up and come off?