Search results

1. L

Amplifier brand

So what did you get FastEgg? +1 on ^ , and an LS is quiet enough to actually enjoy the better SQ. JL amps are not in the same league as their much loved speakers. SoundStream still makes the Reference series, which is probably their last best performing amplifier still in production. A...
  2. L

Cutting OE springs '97 LS400

I'll have to Google Roll Center Adjusters. Gotta link? I got some coilover sleeves and intend to try the OE springs on the Bilsteins with new MCU bumpstops. The Bilsteins were made for the OE spring rate, allegedly. I wanted to firm up the ride just a bit but not as much as this combo...
  3. L

Cutting OE springs '97 LS400

I've got new Bilstein shocks and H&R springs, it's too firm, I wanna try the OE spring rate on the Bilsteins but want to keep the 1" lower ride height the H&R provide too. I can move the perch clip down on the shocks, they are all on the upper groove right now. How do the OE springs do with...
  4. L

Exhaust pipe sizing, sound vs. low end power?

So you had OE exhaust manifolds, 2.5" pipe from there with a short glass pack muffler on each side, merging into a 3" pipe. Diameter and length influence power and sound. Keeping the diameter the right size to start out with and stepping it up in size over the right lengths improves power...
  5. L

Bilstein on '97 LS400

Dear Diary, I let 4psi of pressure out of each tire so I'm at 36psi and the ride is much better. I'll stick with the H&R springs for now. I have just balanced tires and an alignment but get a vibration at speeds over 60mph. Wheel bearing? It did this before the new wheels, tires, lower ball...
  6. L

Bilstein on '97 LS400

I finally got the Bilsteins and H&R springs on and an alignment. I like the ride height but it's very firm, firmer than I wanted. Maybe Bilstein valved these with more compression damping to compensate for the lower spring perch groove and to give a firmer feel with just OE springs. I may...
  7. L

PipeMax header design software

Thank you very much and WOW! A GT40 kit car body? A replica of the original GT40 or more like the newer GT? Either way, that's gonna be awesome. We need pictures. You have the 1st generation engine which is suppose to have the super strong bottom end so a turbo is also possible. I'm...
  8. L

How far apart are the exhaust ports spaced from each other? I'm trying to figure out how much longer the front head pipe will be than the rear head pipe by the time they both clear the back of the engine. The front head pipe will have to take a direct route to the collector where as the rear...
  9. L

primary and secondary lengths for headers

I realize this thread is old and that JBrady has all but retired from the Exhaust Design business but my version of PipeMax, 3.8 came up with smaller and longer calculations I'm wondering what values I have that are different, and possibly incorrect, that could be causing the differing results.
  10. L

You are alot younger than I imagined. :D So Toyota does what Pipemax is suggesting. They make the port larger than it needs to be and then taper the headpipe down smaller than the exhaust port. I've got to give them some credit on the OE exhaust system though. The lengths that are...
  11. L

Thanks for your information
  12. L

What year is the engine? 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, UFC10, UFC20? I know sometimes we get different engines different years than the rest of the world. The data I have is for a UFC20. I think it has more compression than the UFC10. More compression makes the exhaust diameter get smaller believe it...
  13. L

Thanks for the info youngcnc. ~35mm round exhaust port is close to 1.375" diameter. The website for the PipeMax software suggests tapering the exhaust port size down to the calculated 1st segment diameter if the exhaust port is larger than what PipeMax suggests for the 1st segment. So port...
  14. L

Preliminary results look to be lots smaller than even JBrady calculated. Was he using PipeMax? This is what I came up with for a Tri-Y street header with mufflers, low to mid range torque and high rpm hp. 1st Y segment - 1.25" OD - 18" long 2nd Y segment, 1st step - 1.375" OD - 9" long...
  15. L

Modified LS400 header questions

Wow, that is pretty slick! What rpm do you use, low or WFO? I've perused many of JBrady's exhaust evolution posts and IIRC you need to run 2" between the headers/manifolds and the "Y" pipe. The most critical point seems to be when both banks merge into 1, the OE "Y" pipe seems to be...
  16. L

I guess you wanna know which specs. Volumetric Efficiency Bore Stroke Rod length C-C Peak HP rpm Compression ratio Intake- Valve head diameter Valve stem diameter Lift Duration at .050 Degreed Centerline Lobe separation angle Exhaust- Valve head diameter Valve stem diameter Lift Duration @...
  17. L

I just purchased the newest version 3.8 of this software. I have a few exhaust build projects I wanna do. It needs lots of engine specs to calculate everything and was wondering if y'all had a link to these or could fill in the blanks for a UFC20 1UZFE? Are they the same for the 1st...
  18. L

Cost effective Car Audio

Wow! Thread revival! I finally got an LS400, a dark green '97 Coach edition with 119,000 miles, don't think it's the Nakamichi system because it doesn't say so on the head unit. I'm going to try my hardest to leave the factory stereo alone as much as possible.....however.....I would like to...
  19. L

Bilstein on '97 LS400

Thanks for the info. LS400 race car. Awesome. What does it weigh in race form? If my alignment is good and I lower the car an inch front and rear, will I need to get it aligned again? Do y'all just go with the OEM alignment specs or are there some preferred numbers to hit? I also have a...
  20. L

Bilstein on '97 LS400

Well I finally got an LS, a dark green '97 , Coach Edition, 119,000 miles, dreamy. Brand new Firestone FR710 all season tires are not helping with my experience, a bit noisy and floaty. They will need to go but I also would like to firm up the ride and get rid of some wheel to fender gap...