Search results

1. N

87 4Runner 1UZ swap, get comfy

Daylight, under it's own power! 20200801_073307 by Numbchux, on Flickr 20200801_073315 by Numbchux, on Flickr Still a lot to be done before it can actually be driven....but engine runs, and sends power to the wheels!
  2. N

Yesterday I learned....the stock ECU/Fuel pump controller does not prime (at least, not always). Several times, after leaving the ECU disconnected, the fuel pump would not prime. Turned it over, and it came right on. Bolted down the ignitor, and it fired right up. Didn't take long under full...
  3. N

So, I stripped the wiring down to a standalone engine management harness more than a year ago. Ran it for awhile, then replaced ECU caps and a few other things. And ran it several more times as I modified the transmission, and tested the exhaust coating. Ran great every time. I was tinkering on...
  4. N

Food for thought

I don't think you'll get a high-enough-volume roots blower down there. I had an M62 for a previous project, and it was bigger than any modern A/C compressor I've seen, obviously an M90 is bigger still. At the very least, every M90 I've seen has had a long snout on it, that will push the blower...
  5. N

Finished editing some video that I took last week, showing how it all fits in there. Stayed up late last night and got a bunch of work done. Gas tank is back in, gas hard lines are snaked into place, although not fastened at all. I took the transfer case crossmember off again to clearance it...
  6. N

I bought an elocker axle the other night. Came with a few extra parts... 2020-07-01_11-29-42 by Numbchux, on Flickr
  7. N

Finished the transmission cooler lines, I think I'm going to change the RH exhaust manifold to go almost straight down, and cross under the oil pan. There's more room there, and it'll get the heat away from the cooler lines more quickly. I also built my fuel lines this weekend. Going to cross...
  8. N

No power to starter

Triple check all your contacts for that circuit. Main battery positive and ground cables, as well as the signal side (through the key and neutral switch). But the fact that it's drawing amperage makes me suspect the solenoid is activating, but the contacts are too dirty for the motor to turn...
  9. N

No power to starter

Part of the starter, would be included with a new one. Can be repaired/replaced separately, although I wouldn't do your first on a 1UZ.
  10. N

No power to starter

Sounds to me like worn contacts in the solenoid on the starter...
  11. N

My plan has always been to use a stock A340F floor shifter, I pulled one from a '98 4Runner in the junkyard with linkage. I bought a new shift shaft for the transmission to move the linkage to the other side of the trans. It was immediately apparent that the tcase shifter between the 4Runner and...
  12. N

No power to starter

On my '94 SC400 engine, the start circuit is very simple, ECU is not involved. Where are you reading 10v? Sounds like you've got a voltage drop. When you test that, move your ground reference right to the battery and see if the voltage jumps up, that'll isolate which side of the circuit is your...
  13. N

It's actually bolted to the frame. No wood blocks involved. Frame-side motor mount brackets built. These sit right onto the tabs on the stock pads on the frame, I put the 2 tabs at different angles to improve access to the rear mounting bolt (between the 2 tabs). Don't judge my ugly flux core...
  14. N

This was $40 for a whole new line with crush washers from AutoZone. I had a custom line made for the 4.3 setup, it was not cheaper than that.
  15. N

Thanks guys. I've been sneaking off to the garage for an hour or 2 every night once everyone else is asleep. I'm a zombie at work, but I'm making progress. I ordered a few parts earlier this week, and last night was just some test fitting. First, a couple weeks ago, I ordered a big batch of...
  16. N

Finally took a picture of the clean engine bay with the painted frame. Looks soooo much better. 20200516_072546 by Numbchux, on Flickr Finished swapping oil pans, resealed the oil pump, fixed the timing belt tensioner, resealed the rear cover, cleaned up the wiring, cut the flanges off the...
  17. N

Sack religious swap

Just that simple.....lol Yes, any engine is just an "adapter plate" away from being mounted to any transmission. I was in Graham Evans's (former Prodrive engineer) shop when he was building one of the first new Fiestas for high level US rally, he had a custom adapter plate to mate a Skoda...
  18. N

Sack religious swap

It's "sacrilegious" You won't see me defending any engine offered in a Charger. 1UZ everything! Looks like the hardest part on your list is this 8-speed Auto. Mating it to the 1UZ, and controlling it (in concert with the engine). Running a 1UZ on a standalone is easy, and pretty...
  19. N

Got the oil pump on, went to swap the rear main, and opened up my box of Lexus parts, to realize I don't have the correct rear main seal. It appears that Toyota (at least on Toyotapartsdeal.com, my go-to site to double check this stuff) supercedes the number to a Paseo cam seal (9031135040). So...
  20. N

Triumph TR7 3UZ swap. Classic waste of time, effort, space and Money

When I was a kid, my bus would go by a house that had a TR7 in the driveway every day. It had a huge impression on me (late '80s-early '90s, most of what was on the road in the US at the time was dreadfully dull). I also noticed that it never moved. That had an impression, too. Should be a...