Recent content by gribley

1. G

1990 LS400 Brake upgrade

Job done A couple of points to note The disc centre hole is 62mm the spigot is 60mm so a spacer ring is needed. I cut a 5mm wide strip of 1mm shim steel, rolled it into a ring and pressed it in. (I will turn a solid ring when I can find some suitable material). The caliper bolts are too long...
  2. G

1990 LS400 Brake upgrade

Right Ive got my '95 - '00 4 pot calipers, discs and pads. Then went to lexus dealer for fitting kit and anti squeal shims. £70 I nearly fainted. I also bought the lower ball joints so I dont have to hack lumps of my calipers. While I was buying stuff I also bought a set of Goodridge brake...
  3. G

1990 LS400 Brake upgrade

As I said the cost difference is negligible. If I buy refurbished calipers, new discs, new bottom ball joints, new fitting kit and new shims it will cost be about £550. I can get a supra kit for £600. I may be tempted to buy the supra kit if its less messing. but i need to know if the calipers...
  4. G

1990 LS400 Brake upgrade

I am going to upgrade the front brakes to 4 pots. I have seen Supra kits advertised for £600. I have priced up 95-2000 LS 400 kit at about £450 + shims + pins. but then I believe a set of lower ball joints is needed, then it will need tracking so the price difference will be negligible. So which...
  5. G

Mk1 ls400 air-con

I thought I would pass on this information concerning Mk1 LS400's My 1990 ls400 wasnt anything like cold. The refrigerant gas is R12 which is now banned. I read about getting a R134a retrofit but it seems that there are problems with this conversion, far from ideal. I then spoke to Air...
  6. G

Tyre size

I am looking towards putting 17" wheels on my Mk1 LS400 With the std well worn tyres my speedo is reading about 8% fast. New tyres would be about 1.5% better ie 6.5% fast If I fit 225/50/17 (+1.4%) speedo would be 5% fast If I fit 225/55/17 (+5%) speedo would be 1.5% fast If I fit 235/50/17...
  7. G

ls 400 4 pot caliper depth?

Hi all Can anyone tell me the depth from the outside of the front disc to the outside of the caliper on post '95 ls400 with 4 pot calipers. I need to know so i can measure up to find some wheels to fit when i upgrade my '90 ls400 cheers Andy
  8. G

Alternator diagnose help please.

I had the very same problem, the regulator in the alternator is FUBAR. Is your steering pump leaking? oil gets into the alternator, mixes with carbon dust from the brushes and shorts out the regulator