Project Thread Supercharged Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thats bad ass... we should race :)

But Andrew, you've got this big powerful V8, and all I have is a dinky little six cylinder, hehehehe. (That's the line that always works with 'vette owners.)

stevechumo said:
Those tires & wheels are monsters! I like them. I run 285 in the rear and I think they're pretty fat already. And now you run 285 in the front! That's hardcore.

Steve, my son just said the same thing. We had swapped my old set of Volk Challenge wheels and nearly new 285/35 and 235/40 tires onto his (my old) black Supra, and he couldn't believe my fronts were the same size as his rears, and my rears were another three sizes wider yet.

I was really nervous about doing this, because the wheel overhaul at HRE was costing me as much as the whole wheel & tire package had cost initially, then putting another $1500+ worth of tires on them, and having the fenders modified, new wheel studs put on, etc. all added up too. And I was thinking, all these $$$$, and what if these tires or wheels hit the suspension, rub, bottom out, etc. There's no return on the tires, and the wheels will have to be modified again......etc., etc.

But a wheel fitment guru from the Supra world talked me through it, and convinced me it would work (he has the same fitment on his car, but with 19" wheels), so I took the plunge and am now very happy I did. We've all done a few mods to our cars, which in retrospect, we wish we hadn't, right? Well this one was/is definitely two thumbs up, as far as I'm concerned. Highly recommended.

The key to making this package work for the Supra was to keep the offsets as close to the stock 50mm as possible, to be able to fill the interior wheel wells, as well as getting as close to the fender edge as possible, without actually protruding out past the fenders.

I don't know how similar the Lexus fender wells are to the Supra, but Lexus offsets are the same 50mm, and I think a package like this would look really good on an LS, GS, or SC. If anyone is local, or passing through Houston and wants to give this fitment a test, come on over, and we'll jack the cars up and try my wheels on your Lexus so you can get an idea if it'll work.

Thanks Scott, the blue is a special color that Toyota calls Royal Sapphire Pearl; some think it should be called Royal Sapphire Purple. There weren't many Supras made in that color, and I don't know if it was used on any other Toyota or Lexus cars.

I'd always wanted one of these RSP Supra's (rare), with hardtop (even rarer) so when I saw this car advertised for sale, I turned to the wife and said "I'm going to fly to California and buy a very special Supra, and drive it home." To which she only said "When do you think you'll be home?" (Bless her heart).

When I bought the car, it had the naturally aspirated 2JZ-GE engine, and 5spd W58 transmission in it, along with the small brakes, and small diff. Over the course of the next couple of years I converted it to a full GTE setup, with a built, single turbo 2JZ-GTE, 6spd, big diff, big brakes, AEM, etc.

Some would say just leave it alone, and stay true to the 2JZ platform, but for me the final step of the journey needs to be the UZ swap. Once that's done, then perhaps I'll leave it alone for awhile......

They also Made the Lexus SC's in the RSP, I am very fond of the color, It is truly a rare color for the SC or Supra. I think it looks best on the Supra.

Steve, I have the stock TT front brakes (4 pots). They were an upgrade from the 2 pot calipers that came on the car when it was still GE spec.

The Supra guy that walked me through this has 6 pot Rotora calipers and big discs at all 4 corners. He has 50mm offsets also, but he also has 19" wheels. No clearance issues.

Here's a couple more shots that show the wheels better. These are HRE 541's

Josh, welcome to Lextreme and thanks for that tip. I've just been in touch with "Monzter" there to see if he has any ideas for our supercharger manifold.

I've been searching for a reasonably priced shim under bucket solution, and thought I'd found a Toyota solution recently.

The 3SGTE engine has 6.00mm valve stems and uses 31mm buckets (like the 1UZ, 2JZ and several other engines) but unlike the USDM versions of these other engines, which use shim-over-bucket (SOB) setups the JDM version of the 3SGTE uses a shim under bucket (SUB) setup.

Unfortunately neither this engine, nor its valve train were exported to the USA, so these parts are not available through our normal Toyota channels.

In the Netherlands, Arnout and Fasteddie have adapted this SUB 3SGTE setup to their 1UZ build here: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10244&page=2, but technical details and specifications about the SUB retainer were lacking, so I decided to try to acquire one to get the specs.

JustenGT8 was kind enough to purchase and send me a sample retainer from this 3SGTE setup (Thanks again Justen!), so I wanted to share its specs and some pics with everyone.

First off, this isn't the magic bullet I'd hoped it would be for those of us in the USA. It requires an odd size (14mm) shim that no other USDM Toyota engine uses, and it does not fit over the 1UZ's valve springs, but requires a valve spring with a slightly larger ID. But on to the pics and specs.

Here's the retainer as it arrived, in the Toyota plastic bag, showing all the P/N's:

IMG_0386Medium.jpg

And the retainer fit onto a stock 1UZ valve, with 6.00mm valve stem. Very encouraging so far:

IMG_0393Medium.jpg

Shot from the top:

IMG_0392Medium.jpg

Here's where it started to go pear shaped: The ID of the shim perch is 14.02mm, so 13.95 to 14mm shims are required......that's strike one.

AFAIK this size shim does not exist in any another USDM Toyota engine, nor any motorcycles imported to the USA (they use 7.48, 9.48, 13mm). Perhaps some other car manufacturers use 14mm shims - I'll have to do some research there.

IMG_0387Medium.jpg

Retainer sitting on a stock 1UZ spring, hmmm that won't work, there's strike 2:

IMG_0394Medium.jpg

And on the Manley Honda B motor spring that I have:

IMG_0398Medium.jpg

And on the Supertech Honda B spring:

IMG_0397Medium.jpg

And showing the dimension of the spring perch at 0.777".

IMG_0402Medium.jpg

1UZ springs are 0.707" ID, so that's why this won't work on them. Supra 2JZ-GTE springs are 0.708, so those won't work, and the Lextreme springs are 0.703, so those are a non-starter too.

The Manley and Supertech springs in the photos above are 0.820" and 0.787" ID, so that's why they work fine with this retainer, but they're a bit too large an OD for the spring seats in the 1UZ head, which can only take about a 1.025" maximum OD spring without modification <sigh>.

Obviously, a 3SGTE spring will work with this retainer, but I don't have one to measure; further, I suspect the OD of a 3SGTE spring is going to be too large to fit in the spring seat in the UZ head, just like the Manley & Supertech springs (and perhaps this is what Arnout was alluding to here: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101471&postcount=30).

So in summary, although this 3SGTE retainer looked encouraging initially, it probably won't work in the early 1UZ engine without larger springs, which will then require machining of the heads' spring seats. It also requires an odd size shim, which I don't think can be purchased through Toyota North America.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 16
1 - buy vvti engine/heads
2 - get free SUB assembly
3 - enjoy 1mm OS, 5.5mm valves, superior ports and added vvti tourque
4 - ???profit

either that or just do the basic machine work required to get what you want to fit. you do realise that without any machine work youre still going to be limited to .400 lift? why go to all the effort to avoid machine work when if you dont, its all rather half hearted anyway. or are you just trying to make it difficult?

I'm not trying to make things difficult Ed, I'm trying to keep my Opcon-Autorotor supercharger and Richwood manifold setup, which only fits the early 1UZ. I well realise the advantages the later VVTi setups have, but:

1) Those engines aren't nearly as plentiful as the old 1UZ's at the salvage yards

2) When they are available, they're 3x the price of the early 1UZ's

3) Supercharger manifolds aren't available for them, AFAIK. Andrew @ Richwood says he has one, but I've yet to see a photo of it.

Is there a reason not to use the shimless bckets that the 3S guys use to replace there shim over bucket setups on Gen 2 3S engines?

If you're trying to replace an existing 1UZ SOB setup with shimless, it's going to be a challenge. The minimum thickness of a SOB setup is 7.02mm and the maximum is 7.82, so it's going to be out of the range for a shimless setup.

The shimless buckets (that we have in the USA) only come in a range of 5.06 to 5.74mm. You may have access to a wider range of shimless buckets than we do, however.

SUB by itself is good for 7.42 to 8.22 using OEM shims. More is available on the top end by going to custom shims from Precision.

The most flexible shimming option I've found is a combination of shimless and SUB. This can get you a range of lash adjustment from 5.06 to 8.54mm.

On my last engine build, we did just that. We needed more shimming than either SUB or shimless could provide, so we started with the thickest shimless buckets, and added the necessary SUB type shims under them (using the proper SUB type retainers, of course)