1uz fan idler bracket failure

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mat Grant

Hi all,

I have fitted a 1uz into an old Lotus. It is from a soarer as I needed a rear sump. It came with the hydraulic fan pump, i took this bracket off and got a bracket off ebay (2uz I think - it was a couple of years ago!) which is a bracket with a pulley that just runs in a bearing.

The problem is the pulley on this bracket started making a noise and the pulley (I think it's a press fit) just fell off. It looks like a pattern (copy) part not a genuine Toyota part. I can now just push the pulley on and pull it off with ease.

Can I weld the pulley onto the shaft? Or will the heat ruin the bearing? Has anyone got a second hand bracket with the pulley on that they want to sell? I need one with a pulley, not the four bolts to mount a fan like most of them have - I think these are LS400 ones(?).

Any suggestions/advice appreciated....

Cheers, Mat.

Mat, while I respect your desire to save a few pounds, the OEM part is not that expensive; why not just purchase it from your local Toyota/Lexus stockist/dealer?

If you've already had issues with the Chinese junk, why replace it with a used part?

I can't help with a replacement but the LS400 and early Crown brackets can have the 4 restraining studs removed and 4 bolts used to replace them.

This allows the pulley that originally fitted between the fan bracket and the fan to be retained and used.

Fan brackets are freely available in the States but they don't tend to like shipping anything outside of their Country.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies:

Gloverman - yes that part looks just like the one on my car, I bought it from ebay, it was in the USA. Is that one a pattern part or original Toyota?

Cribbj - the issue is my car had the hydraulic fan so the "OEM" part is the hydraulic version which wont work on my car. What I want is one like Gloverman has listed, assuming it's better than the one i bought and fitted to mine!

Zuffen - I would buy the LS400 type if I knew where to get a pulley that could be fitted(?)

Thanks, Mat.

I only keep genuine pulley assemblies as I don't want my customers having the same issue you have after a short period of time. There's heaps of cheap crappy parts over here and It's not a market I want to be in. If I wouldn't use it I won't sell it. As most of my jobs are conversions no need for the early bolt on pulley type and the complete unit I normally have is cheaper than the two piece item. Also the single piece item doesn't extend forward as for as it doesn't have the spigot on the front.

Hi Gloverman, if there is a genuine bracket which will fit my 1uz and has a pulley (mine is 110mm) I will buy it! Have you got any for sale?

Thanks, Mat.

Hello Matt

Yes my ones are genuine. I have had two sitting in stock for about two months then they all sell and I need more. Always the way. I already have more on their way which should arrive in about a week so hopefully you can wait that long. One of the next order is sold but there are a few coming. I'm also working on getting some of the genuine LS400 bolt on pulley type but this will be more for replacements of stock items over here and a spare pulley just in case. The one piece units are cheaper and what I use most. If you PM me your address I can price freight. Cheers

Mat, you can buy with confidence from gloverman. Stand up guy and has been with us here on Lextreme for eons.......

Gloverman Please let me know when this part is in and I'll buy one - assuming you will ship to the UK? How much d you sell them for?

Thanks guys - this forum has helped me out a few times now.... When I go to my local Toyota place (main dealer) they can't/won't look up anything without the chassis number.... And even if you can track down a part their prices are horrific!!! So to find this part I'd need to know what del / year it is off and then find a frame number.

Cheers, Mat.

Gloverman Please let me know when this part is in and I'll buy one - assuming you will ship to the UK? How much d you sell them for?

Thanks guys - this forum has helped me out a few times now.... When I go to my local Toyota place (main dealer) they can't/won't look up anything without the chassis number.... And even if you can track down a part their prices are horrific!!! So to find this part I'd need to know what del / year it is off and then find a frame number.

Cheers, Mat.

Unlucky with your dealer then.

I have bought a number of 1UZ parts from the Toyota shop Yeoman's in Brighton.
To start with I did not know year, did not know car, did not know engine generation, no problem. Shop has always been very very helpful.
All sorted by email from Thailand. When parts arrive my friend in Brighton is notified, he picks up - pays and ships to me.

Thanks Melvinmelvin, I have been going to Curry Motors for the few 1UZ parts I've needed - the odd thing like a throttle body gasket and a PAS O ring etc. It is a very large Toyota dealer - the sales/showroom bit is in Twickenham (and a few other showrooms in other places) the service and parts is in Isleworth, on my way home from work....

Gloverman says he can get me the part, so I'll buy it off him, but that dealer info is useful for future stuff.

The old pulley stayed on long enough yesterday for me to get the aircon refilled and leak tested / pressure tested....

Mat.

by all means do,
was not suggesting that you divert your order

just informing you that there are OK Toyota dealers on the foggy islands

btw,
I also purchase from gloverman, works fine

Last edited:
No worries Melvinmelvin - I get what you meant.

but I'll remember the Yeomans dealer and try them next time I need a part. In fact I might try seeing if they can find this part without knowing the car model or part number. Bearing in mind the part I want is off a different car which I can't name - I think they would struggle....

But my problem is solved as I've bought one off Gloverman.

Mat.

Unlucky with your dealer then.

I have bought a number of 1UZ parts from the Toyota shop Yeoman's in Brighton.
To start with I did not know year, did not know car, did not know engine generation, no problem. Shop has always been very very helpful.
All sorted by email from Thailand. When parts arrive my friend in Brighton is notified, he picks up - pays and ships to me.

Hi melvinmelvin,
The idler bracket I ordered from Gloverman has made it as far as Coventry (waiting for customs clearance), so I should be receiving it soon. But I thought I'd try Yeomans, the dealer you mentioned to see if they were any better - They did make a decent effort at trying to help, but in the end the response was the same as the Toyota dealer near me - "we need the chassis number". Not unexpected, as you'd need a pretty encyclopaedic memory to remember which models and years of Toyota has a 1uz / 2uz and this version of idler bracket.... But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Mat.

Hi melvinmelvin,
The idler bracket I ordered from Gloverman has made it as far as Coventry (waiting for customs clearance), so I should be receiving it soon. But I thought I'd try Yeomans, the dealer you mentioned to see if they were any better - They did make a decent effort at trying to help, but in the end the response was the same as the Toyota dealer near me - "we need the chassis number". Not unexpected, as you'd need a pretty encyclopaedic memory to remember which models and years of Toyota has a 1uz / 2uz and this version of idler bracket.... But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Mat.

right,
my man at yeomans in brighton is Bob Ellis, he is the spare part manager
very very helpful

Hi all,

Btw thought I'd update on this - after sitting in Coventry for customs clearance for ages, i got the bracket and fitted it a couple of days later. It has run fine since, as it's a genuine part and Kelvin tells me it's a "sealed for life" bearing, so hopefully will last....

Thanks again for everyone's input, and a thumbs up to Kelvin (Gloverman) for getting the part to me. Thanks Kelvin!

Mat.