LS400 into 1960 F100 Where do I start?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Holmsey

Hi my name is Dave Holmes (Holmsey)... I have just bought a 1993 LS400 and I have a stock as a rock 1960 Ford F100 (American). I intend to fit a Jag front suspension unit and keep the original rear axle fitting a slider on the prop. I want to utilise as much of the Lexus as possible ie: engine, trans, prop, radiator, exhaust, possibly the dash (gauges), fuel tank, fuel pump pedals brake servo, maybe steering column etc... if thats not to ambitious for an amateur without much experience.. ;o)

My Question (just the start) is where do I start? ;o).... Would I be best to strip the car so I can see all the wiring while in the Lexus and chop out what is not needed then fit to F100?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to read what I should chop out of the original wiring or tell me what I wont need to get the Engine trans to work in the Truck. I am a complete novice and don't understand electronics ecu's etc so it will be a steep learning curve for me, that hopefully I can surmount!

Any advice would be much appreciated but I must stress it needs to be in very basic layman's term's.

I know I am just going to open the Lexus bonnet and just stare not knowing what to do.. Please help ;o) I have been searching on here but cant decipher what I am reading Cheers!:eek:

Hi David, welcome on board.
All you need is:
Engine.
Transmission.
ECU (Up behind glovebox)
The fourth ECU plug (It's seperate from the other three plugs)
The air flow meter.
The two igniters that are under a black plastic cover near the air filter housing.

As your LS400 is a 1993, there's no immobiliser to worry about so you won't need the ignition key or transponder unit from the steering column.

if the F100 is never going to carry a load again I would just transplant EVERYTHING from the LS400, front and rear suspension, dash, looms, heater, A/C, fuel tank, THE LOT then there is no wiring involved besides un-plug and re-plug maybe extend a few wires.

If you have never done it before you could farm out the fitting of the font and rear suspension to a chassis builder and then the remainder would be basic stuff

Hi Fella,

Where abouts in Cumbria are you? I'm near Brampton.

I'm just putting a VVTi engine and box into my comp safari racer.

Lexus is new to me as well. I'm working on an aftermarket ECU for the engine and the gearbox so I can have push button gears.

Looks like you could use the whole Lexus front suspension as they and the engine all mount to one crossmember. It would just need new strut tops and upper mounts. Or you could use the Jag as it all sits in one unit.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi I am in Lindal in Furness, I have the complete Lexus here now. I intend starting Sunday, just with some basic stripping down of the Car. I have a Jaguar IFS unit I was going to fit first off to the F100 ( I did same in a 1955F100 a few year ago)... then take the engine trans out and then try and work out what wiring etc.

As for using everything, I am very tempted I will just have to way up which I am most likely able to achieve.
Do I junk the box of relay etc that are in the engine bay? Can I simply cut wires like the windows, seats, lights, ABS, Steering etc and not effect the engine management in any way?
Thanks for advice so far People it is much needed and appreciated.

I'd leave the loom and relays alone, just transfer it all! install the ABS, seats, even the power windows if you can, having spent time in a 1970's F100 they need as many mod con's as they can get!

shit
if you going to go to that much trouble just throw the f100 in the bin
and drive the lexus around
I gather u have never ever done a proper full conversion or car restoration up before

Hi Dave, fancy meeting you here!
Bushwacker covered it pretty much. I also removed the fuel pump and its control board. Not essential but its one less thing to buy.

Pauln aka Morris460

who else would I be refering too
mother teresa

Try the quote function...

as for the below...

shit
if you going to go to that much trouble just throw the f100 in the bin
and drive the lexus around
I gather u have never ever done a proper full conversion or car restoration up before

You gathered incorrectly, moving everything over is just a problem of re-locating stuff, no wiring needs to be changed or diagrams studied, considering the F100 has very little of it's own electrical system gutting that out is not difficult at all.

Hi Paul what you doing here? I didn't realise you had done a Lexus transplant, what did you put your's in?... I still have your number so I will be picking ya brains ;o)...

I have done a full conversion before but it was all very straight forward. Fitting Jag, suspension, brakes, steering and V8 Ford with 5speed to a 1955F100 which turned out ok.. But this is more entering into Black Magic with all this electronic ecu stuff. ;o)...

I do intend to use the petrol pump and tank if I can from the Lexus, I think I will not try and be to ambitious and use the dash.. but I will keep it all in case I can work it out.
Got some stuff to sort tomorrow but if I do get spare time I will start stripping it down.
As for updating leccy windows and seats.. that is not something I want, nor Aircon or abs and so on. Just the V8 power and a nicer ride.. I will try and walk before I run though and take each step at a time.. thanks for all advice and offers of help.. mucho appreciated..:eek:

Last edited:
Hi Dave, I haven't done my transplant yet! I've stripped out an LS400 ready to put it all into my 1960 Standard Vanguard Vignale but it has to wait its turn. I'm just learning on here at the moment.
Happy to help if I can, I have quite a bit of wiring info squirreled away.

Cheers,

Paul

Well I started the dismantling of the Lexus.. looking at all the wiring and boxes etc etc.. I am going with the most basic conversion I can.
Install the engine trans and just the minimum of wiring so it runs and shifts gears ok.
I am labelling every plug I remove, not done a great deal yet. If I just remove the power steering box (electronic) and the cruise and the like that I will not be using will the engine still run ok or will there be errors thrown up by the ecu?
What is the mechanism (with wires) in the engine bay that has the throttle cable running to it and then another cable to another butterfly on the throttle body? Is all that needed when I fit the engine into my truck?

Hi Andrew yes I have your contact details Cheers for offer of help. I am just on with stripping the Lexus down, the wiring looks very daunting but I will take my time and keep reading and hopefully one day it will work ;o)... The throttle mechanism I am not 100% sure what it is, a friend suggested it maybe something to do with traction control. I have just taken it off for now and put it to one side. How far on are you with the conversion?

Hi Dave,

I have had the engine and box in once, made some mountings up and I'm ready for doing the gearbox mounts next.

I am converting the auto box to 4x4 with toyota parts so I've that to sort as well.

I've taken the ac pump off and moved my alternator in a similar way to one of the tech articles on here. This has allowed me to reverse the exhaust manifolds so they come out at the front of the engine. This works for me as my engine is mid mounted arse about face.

I'll get some pics up once it's back in the hole.

Cheers

Andy

Sounds like fun ;o)... do you understand the wiring that is needed? I have all the diagrams and such like but I am struggling to understand them ;o).

Hi Guys, well I have the car fully stripped and what's left has gone to the Banger Track..
I have started stripping the wires, just cutting out what I feel sure is not needed, like cruise, theft warning, seats etc.
Before I get to serious, I am just wanting to lighten the wiring load, can I safely remove all the wires connected to the ABS?

Also in the engine bay was a thing labelled air pump, can I junk all the wires for that?

Not sure what this is,

or this:

can I junk these. Sorry if this is all to basic but this is unknown territory for me and I don't want to make any mistakes and I want to try and understand it as I go along. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer my stoopid questions ;o)