Project Thread Supercharged 1UZ celica

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I assume the Coyote will have similar ECU specs to the supercharged Aussie 5.0 alloy V8..??

These guys are fitting LS [L76/98] V8's into RX7's also..
The good part with these engines .. They have forged assembly..

Steve Hawkesbury Circuit Car
Alex Cooma Circuit Car
Gerry Northern Beaches Circuit Car
Shaun - Street car The Hills
Dan (Melbourne) Street Registered car
Steve M (ACT) Circuit Race Car

These are the turn key engine weights..
LS1 = 252 Kgs. (part number 25534322 - discontinued)
LS2 = 249 Kgs. (part number 19156261)
L98 = 246 kgs. (part number 17822015)
LS6 = 246 Kgs. (part number 17801268)
LS3 = 244 kgs. (part number 17804137)
LS7 = 239 Kgs. (part number 19165058)

The L98 on your list caught my eye as I was unaware that GM brought back that designation that was applied to the older tuned port injected engines starting in 1985.

The LS series engines here in the states use cast cranks and the powdered metal rods except in(afaik):
LS7 in the Corvette ZO6 with forged steel crank, forged titanium rods, forged pistons
LS9 (6.2 liter) 2.3 eaton TVS supercharged ZR1 Corvette with forged steel crank, forged titanium rods, forged pistons
LSA (6.2 liter) 1.9 eaton TVS supercharged Cadillac CTS-V with forged steel crank, powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons

IMO the biggest problem with 1uz-3uz applications especially with the 1998+ model years are the weak transmissions. The pistons and rods are also weak but that is fairly easy to fix. Much harder to get a smooth and reliable transmission for over 400hp applications. As far as engine choices it is hard to argue against keeping the UZ base and adding turbos for the cheapest and most powerful solution. Swapping engines and getting all of the factory interelated functions adds a huge amount of time and that = money.

JeffTsia over at CL has been working to make the A650E (the lexus 5 speed automatic used from 1998-2003) stronger as he is using it behind his turbocharged 2jz. He has developed MUCH stronger sprag's for the transmission. Even so they are still not bullet proof. Not sure of the higher power capacity but may be in the 500hp range as long as you do not abuse the 1-2nd shift.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...mission-failure-at-elevated-power-levels.html

Sprag ?? An auto in a performance car ??? Especially a circuit car...
Plenty of good 5 or 6 speeds out there.. In a light 1200 kg body that will handle the torque... The engines above can be bought as crate engines in almost any configuration you want..
For NOT too much more than a rebuild..
Depending on supplied parts.. Carrillo or titanium rods, billet cranks can blow $$ things out..
With 6ltr+ the mods in a sports sedan don't have to be all that much to run with the field.. Just not at the front.. Lol..
There is a 6ltr limit in the class above...

Which bit don't you get John? ;)

I'm going to sell the short block i just built (argo rods, SPS pistons, ARP fastners etc etc etc)...comes with VVTi heads, intakes, 2UZ cams and a zillion other bits and pieces. CBF doing a FS thread to get lowballed so those that follow my threads and know what i'm abaout are welcome to inquire if interested :)

Justen, I didn't get the bit about why it's for sale!

That's supposed to be your monster motor; did you decide to go a different direction?

Hi Justen! Can I ask you drawing pads for the engine. 1uz for SWAPO to celica st185. how do you combined the gimbal with the box? rear gear was stock?
Do you have a spec sheet?

Last edited:
Check my link to the build thread mate.

No drawings sorry, we just fabricated as we went until it all worked :)

The car uses a Terence TKO600 gearbox and is no longer RWD.

Now you see it

P1140780.jpg

Now you don't :)

P1140779.jpg

excuse the exposure, dunno what was going on there?

So test fitting the bigger SC in hope of a new and improved twincharge setup. I'll have 1200hp of turbo on there too :) I'm not chasing quite that power but nice to have Veyron levels for a poofteenth the price ;)

That is Rod's 1.9 (?). I have a Kenne bell 2.4 to go on though :)

Still some measuring, test fitting etc to go so could be a while (if at all) before i have twin charge on board again.

That is Rod's 1.9 (?). I have a Kenne bell 2.4 to go on though :)

Still some measuring, test fitting etc to go so could be a while (if at all) before i have twin charge on board again.

Awesome. I'm quite a fan of the Kenne Bell blowers, especially the sound of them, haha. Have actually been looking into them myself. Especially after seeing the great results guys have been having with the Liquid Cooled cases on all the late model V8 falcons here.