1UZ into MA70 Supra with W58 Manual Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MA70BRAIN

Hello everyone,
I have a 1987 MKIII Supra with a 7M-GE automatic (daily driver). The car was a gift so i can't complain about it being automatic for now. The engine has about 170K miles on the original head gasket, a world record if I do say so myself. The head has a small leak and coolant mixes with the engine oil over time. It still hasn't overheated to this day but it won't be long before the head blows, its like a ticking time bomb and the engine isn't in such good shape. On top of that, Overdrive stopped working a couple months ago.

So I'm currently looking for an early 1UZ engine, harness and ECU

I recently pulled off a W58 from an 1986.5 MKIII at the junkyard. (It had a blown head gasket as well and it looks like someone had changed the clutch recently) and I also took the clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, the hydralic line without the slave cylinder, transmission mount, and the manual driveshaft.

My next step is to take down a transmission from one of several LS400's at the junkyard and take the V8 automatic bellhousing from it. The goal is to try and match up housing to my W58 using the quantum-auto adapter plate i have my eye on.

http://quantum-auto.com/store/index...&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I also plan on buying their custom flywheel so i can use a stock W58 clutch kit and modify the auto bellhousing by drilling a hole so i can get the clutch fork to fit and figure a way to bolt the stock slave cylinder to it.

Do i have the right idea on how to match a 1UZ to a W58 to make the manual conversion possible???

I also have a 1uz to 1987 supra harness I will be selling very soon.
just noticed you're in socal, I was at toyotafest with my 1uz 87 supra a few months back. They kinda stuck me behind all the other supras....

Last edited:
how about this kit.
http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/Wxx-Series-transmission-adaptor-package-A-0000-0019.htm the flywheel can be drilled for the 7m clutch as well.

as far as trying to make the fork setup work goes, you're going to find it's far easier to use a hydraulic throwout bearing.

and yes, you have the right idea.

btw, supra mounts.
http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/Steel-UHMW-Mount-for-the-1UZFE-MkIII-Supra-Engine-PAIR-0000-0007.htm

So i was looking at your products and it looks like some premo stuff. So the flywheel can come with the holes ready so i can just simply bolt the 7M pressure plate and clutch?

and i also thought about the hydraulic bearing setup but i was wondering if i can use the fork setup with out too much modification. If not, I can see myself buying the complete kit.

Welcome MA70BRAIN! Glad to see another MkIII getting the 1UZFE swap treatment instead of a JZ swap. Quite a few of us on here and growing in numbers in the US finally. Do not hesitate to ask questions and good luck with the swap. 4U2QUIK's products should help speed up the process.

So i was looking at your products and it looks like some premo stuff. So the flywheel can come with the holes ready so i can just simply bolt the 7M pressure plate and clutch?

and i also thought about the hydraulic bearing setup but i was wondering if i can use the fork setup with out too much modification. If not, I can see myself buying the complete kit.

Pretty much all manufacturer's are ditching the oldschool fork setup in favor of the hydraulic throwout bearing because it's simply a better design with less parts to fail. These bearings usually outlive the clutch so there's no real worries about having to tear everything pre-maturely.

Also, I can redrill the flywheel for the 7m pattern, but I'd advise against it, and here's why. There's only 1 engine that came with that pressure plate, so it limits your options greatly when trying to find a pressure plate. The flywheel I use is drilled for the 3vz 5vz 3sgte 3sfe and several other engines, they all use the same pattern so you can use the pressure plate from any of these engines. This also makes your options cheaper because there's a bigger market for that same pressure plate.

Welcome MA70BRAIN! Glad to see another MkIII getting the 1UZFE swap treatment instead of a JZ swap. Quite a few of us on here and growing in numbers in the US finally. Do not hesitate to ask questions and good luck with the swap. 4U2QUIK's products should help speed up the process.
btw,
I'm going to be doing post 89 mounts here soon.

Thank you and I'm glad to be part of a forum that has tons of info and details on this specific swap. I wanted a JZ motor at one point until i heard a V8 sound coming from an MK3 Supra on youtube and discovered it was a Lexus 1UZ-FE :D

I have seen your build thread and seen your car on youtube. Amazing build! Oh and you say you got away with using the stock brake booster by "modifying" it with a hammer? I might do the same thing if i can't find a pickup/hilux booster.

Last edited:
Pretty much all manufacturer's are ditching the oldschool fork setup in favor of the hydraulic throwout bearing because it's simply a better design with less parts to fail. These bearings usually outlive the clutch so there's no real worries about having to tear everything pre-maturely.

Also, I can redrill the flywheel for the 7m pattern, but I'd advise against it, and here's why. There's only 1 engine that came with that pressure plate, so it limits your options greatly when trying to find a pressure plate. The flywheel I use is drilled for the 3vz 5vz 3sgte 3sfe and several other engines, they all use the same pattern so you can use the pressure plate from any of these engines. This also makes your options cheaper because there's a bigger market for that same pressure plate.

I never thought about it that way. So that means i can use clutch kits from Tacomas, Celicas, MR2's etc? Interesting...

And also will your Mounts will bolt into my 87 without any modifications?

1 very minor modification. which you would have to do no matter what mounts you use.
on the subframe where the engine mounts go there's a hump. beat it flat so it's level with the mount surface on the subframe. This will allow your oil pan to clear the subframe. Only way around this is to install the transmission after the engine, which is nearly impossible without a lift.

I was planning on dropping in the motor first without the intake manifold which should allow me to install the starter after the transmission. Any clearance issues i should know about regarding the starter and firewall? I assume that space is limited. And I'm not too worried about installing the Transmission without a lift. I do it all the time with a floor jack and an extra pair of hands. The greatest part about my W58 is that its super light weight compared to the auto trans.

the starter is under the intake manifold. no issues there. No clearance issues either besides the brake booster, but it looks like you're already aware of that.
and ummmmm have fun doing it with a jack.... you'll probably end up giving up, or waste an entire day doing it.

Hmmm iI guess I'll just have figure it out when the time comes. I have a friend that owns a shop that can let me use one of his lifts. I suppose the next step is to keep saving up for my engine that will most likely come from an SC400 and your complete swap kit :D

I have a feeling this swap isn't gonna be as hard as i thought it would be.

it's not too bad, but it's definately no walk in the park. if you ever com up north you can come by and check out my swap in person.

Definitely not a walk in the park hahaha

If it saves shipping costs etc, I wouldn't mind driving up north to pick up the kit and get a chance to see a UZA70 in person :D

Only way around this is to install the transmission after the engine, which is nearly impossible without a lift.

Shucks, I wish I had known it was impossible before I removed and installed many w series while laying on my back under a car on jack stands. I laid the tranny on my chest and shimmied under the car. Then bench pressed the tranny into place. I even installed a heavy supra auto with a modified floor jack but that was a true BITCH !!

A SC400 engine would be ideal for your swap due to the oilpan. The sc400 will run fine with ecu's from 91-94 from what I have discovered while doing my swap. I have a 94 motor that runs with my 92 and 94 ecu's. However the 92 has a cold start injector circuit and the 94 doesn't. Winter starts may be an issue with the 92 ecu on my 94 engine.

LS400 ecu pinout/plugs change between 89/92 to 93/94 to 95+.

GOOD luck with the swap.

Shucks, I wish I had known it was impossible before I removed and installed many w series while laying on my back under a car on jack stands. I laid the tranny on my chest and shimmied under the car. Then bench pressed the tranny into place. I even installed a heavy supra auto with a modified floor jack but that was a true BITCH !!

A SC400 engine would be ideal for your swap due to the oilpan. The sc400 will run fine with ecu's from 91-94 from what I have discovered while doing my swap. I have a 94 motor that runs with my 92 and 94 ecu's. However the 92 has a cold start injector circuit and the 94 doesn't. Winter starts may be an issue with the 92 ecu on my 94 engine.

LS400 ecu pinout/plugs change between 89/92 to 93/94 to 95+.

GOOD luck with the swap.

Looks like you too know how to work on the floor with jack stands hahaha

I have heard of electronics being different on all 1UZ's in general between years, models, etc. so i plan to get a motor, harness, and ECU from the same car. I figure i will run into less wiring headaches in when the times comes to wire it up.

I figure an SC400 donor is the best way to go.

And thanks again for the support.