1990 LS400 Brake upgrade

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hey is there anyway you could record some of the race? I've never seen a stripped, caged LS lapping a track. It would be pretty cool to see.

Yea, I'll try for video. Hassle is getting it to work for 14 hours of driving. I'll be able to get some though. What I really need is a line on the '95 brakes and the 4.27 rear end... Local yard has neither. Gonna be a short drive if I burn up the little brakes. In race conditions a new set of street pads lasts about 3 hrs. I spent $300 for some race pads, hopefully they will hold up.

Right Ive got my '95 - '00 4 pot calipers, discs and pads. Then went to lexus dealer for fitting kit and anti squeal shims. £70 I nearly fainted. I also bought the lower ball joints so I dont have to hack lumps of my calipers. While I was buying stuff I also bought a set of Goodridge brake lines.
So the big changeover happens tomorrow morning. One question, do i need the dust shield (hacked down) or can I bin it?

The dust shield is sort of a joke, It may channel some air to the caliper, but it wont block the dust. if you encounter clearance issues, just remove it. Its not too hard to fabricate an air channel for the caliper later on.

Job done
A couple of points to note
The disc centre hole is 62mm the spigot is 60mm so a spacer ring is needed. I cut a 5mm wide strip of 1mm shim steel, rolled it into a ring and pressed it in. (I will turn a solid ring when I can find some suitable material).
The caliper bolts are too long, they catch the disc. I put a washer under each bolt head.

The brakes feel a lot better, more powerful and less pedal effort

It races!

So, we ran the "24 hours of lemons" this last weekend... Lex did great. Since I didn't get any leads on brakes, I just ran the stock 91' brakes. Rears did fine, but fronts got a bit wobbly. Good thing it was snowing! - yes snowing! Car did awesome, and we could have been in the running but for driver penalties. I did get some video, but goofed it up for most of the driving stints unfortunately. Amazingly, the LS makes for a great race car if set up right.... It's not any faster than a well set up small car though, and burns twice the gas, so kind of a mixed bag. Handling is very neutral and its best under braking - even with the little brakes (and full custom race pads!)... Eventually I'll post up a bit of video. All I got was part of one of our drivers first stints, so he's not up to speed yet in the video.

Props Spinetti. How did you place?

We were first after two hours and a driver change, then the next two drivers got penalties and we had to sit out for several hours. Once I knew it was not going to be top 10, I stopped paying attention to place and just drove the crap out of it. With a penalty free drive, I'm confident we can win it.

Right Ive got my '95 - '00 4 pot calipers, discs and pads. Then went to lexus dealer for fitting kit and anti squeal shims. £70 I nearly fainted. I also bought the lower ball joints so I dont have to hack lumps of my calipers. While I was buying stuff I also bought a set of Goodridge brake lines.
So the big changeover happens tomorrow morning. One question, do i need the dust shield (hacked down) or can I bin it?

Oi mate - I know this is an old post, but did you say that with the 95' lower ball joints they Will clear the calipers?

In summary, Here's what I found:

> Calipers won't clear stock wheels - requires spacers at least. I used 1/2" spacers with new long studs
> 95' discs don't have the same center hole as you mention - needs a spacer ring
> Calipers don't clear the ball joints - use 95' ball joints?

I've got the car in the air, and as I'm racing the pi$$ out of it, not keen on grinding the caliper....

BTW, I've found NO difference between cheap and expensive rotors, even in very hard racing use - Even on the small 91' rotors, I ran two 24 hr events with little wear... Never warped or rotor or even seen one warped... Pads make all the difference though. I have been slotting my own rotors, and like how that works out. No meaning on the street though.

Here's what I found:
2012-06-30192552.jpg

A big f*cking problem with the 95+ brakes. They dont fit... not even close. These are on my '93 and there is no way the 95+ rotors fit with the 4 pot caliper since I cant even get the '93 rotors to move with the caliper bolted up. They're jammed tight against the rotor, and the pistons are off in nowwhere land. I picked these up off of ebay so Im not sure if im missing a bracket somewhere, but looks like a big waste of time so far!! If someone has actually fit these please submit pics I would love to see it.

not sure I get it... 95 calipers and 95 rotors don't fit your 93? They fit my 91, but I had to change to the 95 ball joints and do an alignment.

Do you have any pictures of your set up? And what ball joint, upper, lower or do you mean tie rod end? At this point fitting these looks impossible to me unless I change the knuckle.

I'm on my iPad, so no easy way to get to pics right now, but I don't quite get the issue you have. I'm pretty sure i posted pics before, so just search on my user name or look at my facebook (public) blog on it. To do it properly, you need the 95 and up disc, caliper and lower ball joint - just look at rockauto.com or something to see pics of the parts. The caliper won't clear the ball joint (where the tie rod end connects)' and IMO its unwise to grind the parts till they fit - provided you value your life anyway (I'm racing mine). I can't even conceive how you fit the parts to get them like your pic if you have the right parts.

Btw, I've got a few race laps up on YouTube under the same user name, and I'm using the 95 front brakes last couple events....

I couldnt find pictures of your brake setup Spinnetti, but your project looks good. With a little less beer the parts fit better. I popped off the tie rod and im now hung up on the lower ball joint, so I guess I'll be ordering the '95s. Did your original tie rods work with the 95 ball joint?

2012-07-08115051.jpg

Tie rod ends should still work, though I got new 95 ones anyway. Ball joints are cheap, do no brainer there.

Since I have the UCF10, 11 and 21 brakes right now i thought i'd measure them up to see the differences.

UCF21:
Front piston: 1.54"
Hub to Piston: 5.0625"
Rear piston: 1.48"

UCF11:
Front piston: 1.38"
Hub to Piston: 5.0625"

UCF10:
Front piston: 1.38"
Hub to Piston: 4.625"

The only thing that changed between the UCF10 and 11 brakes is the distance the caliper is from the hub center. This can be seen in the carrier bracket. Which would mean a higher Force x Length for the UCF11.