Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

FoPar

hey guys, thought i would join up and tell u a little bit about our little conversion we have just completed stage 1 of the build. the car is owned by my brother it's a 1970 Ford Capri with a 4L 1UZ, twin Garrett GT35/40 .70 Compressor . 6 Exhaust turbo's, Ross Pistons, Argo rods, we run a custom plenum with the factory lower manifold (even after we were told it would never work) EMS 8860 ECU, custom Tighe cams, factory heads, block and crank, 2-Speed Powerglide, Dellow Bellhousing with a 8'' Neal Chance converter. the car weighs 3100lbs, this is a true street/strip car. the car is driven to the track we change from street tyres to slicks, change the plugs and take the exhaust off after we are done exhaust and street tyres go back on and we drive it home :D

the engine was built by Greg 'GOMAC' McDonald, 10 years ago one of Greg's supercharged engines was making over 900hp@20psi, the heads on that engine flowed inexcess of 330cfm our current heads are a very mild port job with standard valves making around 290cfm. All the fabrication work was done by Jake Bain from Bain Racing, the car was a bit of a rustbucket when we got it but Mario Teuma from A.C Tree Services did all the chassis work and helped with the chassis tuning and suspension setup at the track, yep that's right a tree lopper :p we run in APSA Mod Street Blown class here in Australia so what we can do to the car is pretty limited we run the factory style leaf spring suspension. Vince Rigoli from V & E Rigoli Racing tuned the car on E85 it makes 800+rwhp@26psi 750+ft-lbs of torque best 1/4 mile time of 8.46@162 with exhaust on and 8.34@164mph when it's off. Pump gas it makes 675rwhp and 680ft-lbs of torque best 1/4 is 9.02@151mph that was with the old Hoosier tyres and before Mario helped with the setup, we believe it would go 1/10th quicker now as the car 60's much better the best being a 1.291 60'

it is a pretty tight fit in the engine bay
001-28.jpg

pump gas dyno graph, shows pickup from old converter to new Neal chance converter
BLK40TTorque.jpg

15-minute drive out to the track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGCT4Np6ag

tuning the car on E85, exhaust is on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGFzT1cISM

first time out to the track after the E85 tune, Mario helping with setting the car up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CGVBrZwYH4

exhaust is now off and ran a PB of 8.34@164
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_xm6SmzVs

as i said this is just stage one, we have a few goodies yet to do for stage 2. we tried lightening the car by putting a fibreglass boot and bonnet on and all she wanted to do was this

tcs3072.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5BJSvt6Ds

1st pass 8.4 we took it easy just to qualify, the track wasn't holding up either if it didn't lift it spun the tyres at the start. we only run a 28x10.5'' slick so it's hard taking off too quick.

ultimately the car needs to be lighter taking the bonnet and boot out saved us about 50lbs but affected the cars balance too much so we are going to get Mario to fab up a set of wheelie bars for us which will be removable so we can still drive it on the street. also limiting us is the turbo's, the rear housing is choking us from making more power so we are removing them and putting bigger 0.81 or 1.06 rears on it, also a brand spanking new EMS CDI is on the way, we need a nice big spark to help burn all that extra E85, by mid next year we are hoping to have the car all setup and running a 7-second pass @ 170+mph.

Paulie

What a great build.

Any pics of the motor out of the car? As 1UZ747 said, we'd like to see your turbo manifolds, etc.

Hi Paulie,
It sure is impressive.
Im looking at fitting a powerglide. I have a second hand dellows bell housing. Is the standard 1uz flex plate used. Is the convertor a modified chev v8 glide type convertor or is it a custom job to get it to all line up. Cheers kris.

Paulie, any pictures of the exhaust manifolds?

thanks guys, i don't have any pics that i could find. funny thing is they are actually a home job, my other brother John made them, he made the ones he uses in his 2JZ Corolla and they work well so he got the job to do the ones for the Capri, he isn't the best welder but he makes up for that in knowing how to get it all flowing right :p i will see if i can get under the car tomorrow and take a few pics, as u can tell by the engine bay it's pretty cramped in there ;)

krayn, yes it's the standard flex plate for the time being. the converter is custom made, we sent the factory converter down so they could copy it and make one that would fit. after we had troubles with that converter, we sent it to Neal Chance they split it open ripped out all the internals and put their own stuff in. also the good thing is that they CAD'd the design so now if anyone needs a Lexus converter to fit in the Dellow bellhousing (it's been a few years but i think we had trouble fitting a factory one in, it could be another car im thinking of) they have it all on file.

An 8 sec street driven UZ is soming to crow about :) very impressive :biggthumpup:

thanx mate, we are pretty proud of it, when it starts running 7's even moreso :p

jumped under the car today, as i thought couldn't see much of the exhaust manifolds, i took 1 photo but u can't see much we will be pulling it out early next year if i remember i will take some better pics

003-28.jpg

Impressive, but I can't help noticing that you were leaving the line nearly a second after the green light had come on?

we weren't trying to cut lights. we were just testing to see what boost and RPM we could leave on without lighting the tyres. that was also on pump gas, it takes a half second longer to get on boost than it does with E85.

Congratulations with success down at Summernats ...

thanks mate. good to see a little Toyota mixing it up with these big boys and coming home with a trophy. won Engineering Excellence in Pro Tuff Street this year. back in 2009 she done better winning the same again but also coming 2nd overall in Tuff Street, good to see people not giving a crap on who made the engine and on what has actually been done.

nats001.jpg

nats002.jpg