Project Thread Supercharged 1UZ celica

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thanx guys. Just a stock engine again....the built one is sitting there waiting for a cash injection :( Bottom end is all done but heads are gonna take some work and i want to do it right the 1st time ;)

This setup will keep me satisfied for a little while i hope :)

I should finish my front splitter today so more pics to come

I think you need to lose the twin butterfly TB, and put a full bugcatcher on there. :D

Then you can go out & terrorise the folks at the dragstrip, while still impressing all the road racers that a car that looks like a dragster can be a roadracer.

p.s. Don't worry about the pulleys, I'm home now and can get the dim's.

I think you need to lose the twin butterfly TB, and put a full bugcatcher on there. :D

Then you can go out & terrorise the folks at the dragstrip, while still impressing all the road racers that a car that looks like a dragster can be a roadracer.

p.s. Don't worry about the pulleys, I'm home now and can get the dim's.

Sorry mate, not a spare second up until tune is sorted...which should be by lunch tomoz :)

Cheap scoop will help reduce ghetto a bit...maybe ;)

justen
looking good mate!!
i like the dual throttle body, i just got mine in the the states (mine off a ford mustang).
do you know what sort of boost you are running with this combo?
with ur twin setup, was that too on a std motor or 1 that was tweaked a bit?
be nice to compare the turbo setup to the sc setup with same psi to see the difference in hp an torque if possible.
Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

So tune today :) Long difficult day with a few issues but good result in the end.

270rwkw on a very conservative tune @ 14psi. Intake temps peaked very high at 77deg C so more WI required IE even bigger nozzles. SC stayed cool so maybe just a bigger post SC nozzle?

As is there was another 20rwkw to be had but pushing the boundaries i reckon with those intake temps? Once i have the inlet temps sorted a bit better I'll dial in some more ign advance and lean it out half an AF point...should easy see 300rwkw then.

Drives nice and has some go. Very surprisingly, my old turbo setup is still stronger everywhere so the low down grunt advantage of the SC is dispelled once and for all ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So tune today :) Long difficult day with a few issues but good result in the end.

270rwkw on a very conservative tune @ 14psi. Intake temps peaked very high at 77deg C so more WI required IE even bigger nozzles. SC stayed cool so maybe just a bigger post SC nozzle?

As is there was another 20rwkw to be had but pushing the boundaries i reckon with those intake temps? Once i have the inlet temps sorted a bit better I'll dial in some more ign advance and lean it out half an AF point...should easy see 300rwkw then.

Drives nice and has some go. Very surprisingly, my old turbo setup is still stronger everywhere so the low down grunt advantage of the SC is dispelled once and for all ;)

It is very interesting following your projects. High quality craftsmanship, proper engineering, proper tuning, accurate dependable reports. Thanks!

Quite an eye opener that you are seeing 270rwkw @ 14psi with this m122 eaton.

Normally I would be saying wow, 362rwhp is pretty good BUT... seeing as you were at 333rwkw ( 446rwhp) at only 10psi with your turbosystem... well, the question is are you going to keep this setup?

Other than possibly low rpm throttle response I can see that the turbosystem is flat out superior.

Kind of makes you wonder why go Supercharger...Or. why stay with it, doesn't it, Justen?

It is very interesting following your projects. High quality craftsmanship, proper engineering, proper tuning, accurate dependable reports. Thanks!

Normally I would be saying wow, 362rwhp is pretty good BUT... seeing as you were at 333rwkw ( 446rwhp) at only 10psi with your turbosystem... well, the question is are you going to keep this setup?

Other than possibly low rpm throttle response I can see that the turbosystem is flat out superior.

Right on John...Justen always does it right, and he sure did squeeze excellent and reliable HP out of his turbo set up on his stock motor...Definitely makes one think turbo is definitely the way to go on the 1UZ motor...

I am really curious to see what I get on the dyno...If my results are excellent, like Justen's, then that will be further evidence that these UZ motors like turbo boost.

Ryan

Yeah the throttle response is very good so that might be the saving grace? so far it looks like a well sized turbo setup kills the SC (This is still just a 3 lobe but the last and most efficient design before they went 4 lobe).

New VVTi engine will be turbo for sure. A twin screw might get close but might not? big dollars to find out when i know the turbo setup works a treat.

I'll refine what i had so the new TT will blow the old TT outta the water :D

To the SC credit, i built this setup for a decent price so still good value and who would complain with 270rwkw :) more water injection and power will go up with cooler intake charge...i reckon i'll get close to 300rwkw on the same 14psi ;)

Actually, that's nice power at 14 psi, but it's not as high as your previous turbo setup. Maybe some more fine tune?

Like i said there's more there. We left it fat and didn't push ign advance hard at all. Even with the high inlet temps there's another 20rwkw there to be had easy...but more risk too. With bigger WI to (hopefully?) bring the inlet temps down i reckon i could crack 300rwkw...not too shabby on 14psi? but yeah still well behind the turbo.

This is E85 too and the turbo never had a run with that...so add at least another 20rwkw to the turbo and the gap is at least 50rwkw if not 80rwkw. Turbo FTW no question :)

Looks good Justen! I'm guessing at 14 psi, you're losing between 20 and 30kW at the flywheel driving the supercharger. Higher boost would be more than that...

So yeah, there's definitely more mechanical losses when you're supercharging, and the supercharger will never be able to beat a well setup turbo for top end HP.

What you should have with the supercharger is much more low end torque, which should show up as a stronger launch (which you probably don't care about in roadracing), and much better response coming out of slow corners.

It'll be interesting to hear your comments after you've tracked the new setup; I'm guessing since your car was already well sorted to work with your turbo setup, then your lower gears will now feel too short. On a corner that you formerly had to downshift and come out of in 2nd, you may be able to power through it in 3rd now.

On a fast track with long sweeping turns, and good straights, you'll probably be wishing you had the turbo back, but on a short twisty track where you have to row the shifter a lot, you may find the supercharger setup works better.