HP potential from TRD Supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
IMO the Eaton TVS units have made the earlier 3 lobe designs obsolete. I would only consider the old style for a cheap low dollar minimal power upgrade. Now some have the 112 and 122 size 3 lobe pumps and make decent power at low and mid RPMs but become heaters as the RPMs rise.

Thanks, i was hoping on a 4litre it might be OK but appears not.

So TVS, Opcon or Kenne Bell are the likely options then? For 400kw (flywheel) of flow i'd get away with a 2.3 litre without having to run stupid boost? or need something bigger?

With my TT setup i can hit this easy enough under 12psi with good response so looking to keep at least this type of response if not better.

Better go check your setup specs again Rod :)

Justen,

Do u know if the 2UZFE TRD will work on the VVTi heads? I think they have the same angle and so on. It would be interesting to put on a TRD into a VVTi. There you go John Brady....... TRD 1998 LS400.

I think so Lex but not 100%...have been caught out with apparent similarities before ;)

Either way, appears the MP90 isn't much chop so only good for a mild hp boost by the looks.

The best PD superchargers are twin screw Lysholm style units and they cost a heap more than the Eatons.

For max boost race applications that is true. For street vehicles spending a small percentage of operation under boost and mostly mid range power at that the TVS has some interesting advantages.

First is true bypass. While a screw can of course and should use a bypass there is still internal compression occuring which takes power and creates heat. For normal operation that is not helpful as it lowers economy AND creates a heated assembly (case, rotors and such) that will then conduct heat to any actual boost when used. This again based on street driving characteristics. I haven't seen an actual statement from Mercedes to the effect but I believe that is at least part of the reason for the clutch devices used on the compressor drive on the supercharged AMG 55 series engines that had lysolm compressors.

Another advantage as you noted is cost. Very attractively priced.

Actual performance comparisons is always interesting and would love to see actual back to back testing on a properly and comparably sized set of chargers. Efficiency, drive power vs boost, peak power and power under the curve. Eaton is claiming some very impressive efficiencies. Of course the manufacturer is hardly an unbiased source.

It would be interesting to find an independent TVS versus twinscrew comparison?

The Harrop LS1 etc kits seem to make good power from the new eatons? They do have an extra 2 litres+ of capacity though

Nah, not looking for more power. Less weight and similar performance to what i currently have is what i'm after. If there are any other gains i'll take them.

Only gunna happen if my current TT setup sells (see classifieds)......spread the word :)

Hmmmm well, my mate has a 500WHP FWD Celica, (3S), and I must say, the doors on that thing weigh 100kg each! lol Some glass panels would go a long way I would suggest.

So TVS, Opcon or Kenne Bell are the likely options then? For 400kw (flywheel) of flow i'd get away with a 2.3 litre without having to run stupid boost? or need something bigger?

I'm curious if anyone is running or planning on running a 2.3 litre harrop supercharger on a 1uz. I'm just about to get the 1.9 litre one from Bullet but thinking if I can go bigger, I should be it now. Is it not to extreme? Would it fit on the same bullet manifold?

Hey JustenGT8

Have you had a look at the 4.7ltr TRD supercharger that has the water intercooler in it, sort off the same as what the ford V8 are using here.

They are a 2.3ltr supercharger, but mounted upside down, so the boost can go throught the intercooler before been routed into the engine.

You may be able to pick 1 off them up cheap, i know the ford units are good for up to about 40psi, as my engine builder was playing with 1 after he had build my combo up using the 3.3ltr whipple?
Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Hey JustenGT8

Have you had a look at the 4.7ltr TRD supercharger that has the water intercooler in it, sort off the same as what the ford V8 are using here.

They are a 2.3ltr supercharger, but mounted upside down, so the boost can go throught the intercooler before been routed into the engine.

You may be able to pick 1 off them up cheap, i know the ford units are good for up to about 40psi, as my engine builder was playing with 1 after he had build my combo up using the 3.3ltr whipple?

I figured that's what the TRD MP90 was? There are a couple of UZ options then?

What i need has to flow 400+kw at around 15psi (same as much current turbos) so having looked around i don't think a 2.3 will do it?

Hi JustenGT8

The M90 is only a 90cid supercharger or a 1.5ltr there abouts?

I tried to attached a zip file that has a spreadsheet that list all different types of superchargers where you enter in the rev limit, boost, engine size, type of charger, an will give you a rough idea of what engine HP/KW is, speed required from supercharger and sc drive ratio required, but size off file is a bit to big.

Here is the link where you can get it from to aid you in picking the correct combo for your needs, just click on the blower calculator
http://sprintex.com.au/faq.asp

With the M90 on a 1UZ producing 15psi and engine limited to 6500rpm, supercharger speed will be over 16000rpm, requires sc drive ratio to be 2.5:1 an will produce about 380KW at the engine?

The TRD unit are a bit bigger then the M90, more like the M122 in size, or a whipple W140AX, Lysholm 2300 or a Autorotor 0A4220, which are all around 2.2 or 2.3 ltr in size?

HI pres6

I had my heads flow tested before i had them ported out.

Std they do about 220cfm which is good for about 450hp, after mine where ported, they where good for 285cfm, which is close to about 580hp.

The highest i have heard is around 330cfm, but they where custom CNC heads and are on this forum somewhere, you will can do a search for it.