Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum

Go Back   Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum > V8 Performance Tech > General Discussion
Custom Search

General Discussion Newbies and Introduction. Its time to brag about yourself. This section is also for general discussion that is not cover in any other sections. Anything goes.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Just call me "Lex"

Default 1UZ Vs. 2UZ HP & TQ

I have been studying the 2uzfe. Officially its rated at 245 bhp and 315 tq. However the pre 98 1uzfe is rated at 250 bhp with 260 tq. I wonder why is the 2uzfe is making such low hp? Would it be possible redline limitation? or the stroke?

Diagram #1: 2UZFE Engine Spec
Diagram #2: 2UZFE HP/TQ Curve
Diagram #3: 1UZFE Engine Spec
Diagram #4: 1UZFE HP/TQ Curve

* 1993 SC470TT VVTi - Twin Turbo 4.7L Iron Block at work/Shine Project Body Kit
* 1995 LS520 - 5.2L Stroker with MeisterR Coil Overs and G35 19s
* 1998 GS400 - Daily Stock
* 1995 Previa - Supercharged Previa

Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 AM

I've always thought that when an engine is tuned for torque, there is a loss of HP. Plus, the 2UZ is probably also tuned for mid range power, not top end.

My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

TOOLandFAB.com & My JD2 Bender Hydro Conversion
A discussion forum about tools, fabrication & workshops
Old 08-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Just call me "Lex"

Another interesting thing is the 3uzfe. Its rated at 300 bhp and 325 tq. However, the bore and stroke is slightly smaller. Possible the heads are little better for the 3uzfe.

* 1993 SC470TT VVTi - Twin Turbo 4.7L Iron Block at work/Shine Project Body Kit
* 1995 LS520 - 5.2L Stroker with MeisterR Coil Overs and G35 19s
* 1998 GS400 - Daily Stock
* 1995 Previa - Supercharged Previa
Old 08-05-2006, 11:19 AM
8th Grader

Cool

All of toyota's trucks do that VS their car counterparts across history. basically since I've been alive.
The R's, the VZ's, the UZ's, the GR's...
It's the cam profiles. Toyota is conservative in all their cams across the board (Horribly so it seems).
The "problem" with the truck engines is that they have to get so conservative to give a potent low end, they have nothing up top, can't rev out & don't rev far. It doesn't matter in a truck. They have the gearing to take advantage of the shorter powerband. (In the same manner that it doesn't matter that a honda has no torque, they have gearing to take advantage of its powerband size).

It's all in the cams. From the cams, spawn every reason why the powerband is smaller.

If you change the cams to something more reasonable for what people here use them as (swap engines, i.e. not a truck engine) and pair management to suite the cams. Itll be a completely different engine.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:28 AM
4th Grader

The 3UZ has VVT-I, the 2UZ has not.

2UZ VVT-I has 282 HP. My brother has a 2005 Tundra and it's VERY torquey. I drove a dodge, ford and small block GM, all about 4.6 to 4.8 liter, and the 2UZ OWNZ them by a big margin. The throttle response is very good.

The 2UZ has lower compression
The 2UZ will probably have a more restrictive and smaller exausth system to improve backpressure.
The 2UZ will have soft cams for low-end torque
The 2UZ revs about 1000RPM less.
The 2UZ might have (didn't compare both) an intake to improve air turbulence (improved low-end torque)

Drive a 2UZ then a stock 1UZ, you'll understand that the response is a lot higher on the 2UZ.

290lbs/ft @ 1500RPM!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
8th Grader

yeah lex, drive a 2uz and you'll see it has much more torque and response than an early 1uz. And in case you didn't know, early 2uz's (non-vvti) rated at 235hp dyno 200rwhp and early 1uz 's rated at 250hp dyno 180rwhp. There for the 2uz makes about 20 more rwhp or 25hp more and does it on lower compression and regular octane gas. The 1uz is overated from the factory and the 2uz is underated so if you switch the factory ratings around that is closer to the real numbers.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:08 AM
3rd Grader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme
It's the cam profiles. Toyota is conservative in all their cams across the board (Horribly so it seems).
The "problem" with the truck engines is that they have to get so conservative to give a potent low end, they have nothing up top, can't rev out & don't rev far. It doesn't matter in a truck. They have the gearing to take advantage of the shorter powerband. (In the same manner that it doesn't matter that a honda has no torque, they have gearing to take advantage of its powerband size).

It's all in the cams. From the cams, spawn every reason why the powerband is smaller.

If you change the cams to something more reasonable for what people here use them as (swap engines, i.e. not a truck engine) and pair management to suite the cams. Itll be a completely different engine.
Yep. They are tuned to produce max torque down low, not max torque on top.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Master

I found this thread to be informative...

Besides the obvious differences between HP and torque one must factor in the stoutness and strength of each motor..

What I do know is that the pre 1995 1uzfe motors can handle the most power out of the bunch (3uzfe's excluded) when boosted and have been proven to handle as much as 500whp with the stock internals.. Not so in the later model uz's.. Go figure?

Did Toyota over build the early model 1uz-fe motors early on and then realise this?.... As stated many times in previous threads the rod strength declined after 1995 in these UZ motors... Toyota should have known people like us on the forums would like to boost these motors and push them well over the stock limits...... Shame on Toyota as they designed the weaker internal motors thru the years that would produce greater and more powerful HP and Torque numbers year to year... That just doesn't make sense to me...

This is for the people that have never seen this rod diagram...

On a side note - I am really curious as too how much HP's and torque the stock 3uzfe motors have been reported to handle with those forged stock rods? Anyone got an idea? They look more stout then the pre 95 rods which leads me to believe the 3uz-fe may infact be more stout then the pre 95 1uz-fe's motors.. Hmmmm?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
"Supra" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbby View Post
This is for the people that have never seen this rod diagram...

On a side note - I am really curious as too how much HP's and torque the stock 3uzfe motors have been reported to handle with those forged stock rods? Anyone got an idea? They look more stout then the pre 95 rods which leads me to believe the 3uz-fe may infact be more stout then the pre 95 1uz-fe's motors.. Hmmmm?
John, it's been noted many times that the early (pre '95) rods from the 1UZ are the strongest of all the stock OEM rods. Both the 2UZ and 3UZ rods have puny crossections by comparison.

I'm sure you know that the rod pictured on the far right in that pic is the Lextreme aftermarket forged rod, not a stock OEM rod?

You may want to restate your question, as it's confusing.

New Daily Driver (Ferrari 550 Maranello)
Supercharged Supra Project
BMW V12 Project
2JZ-GZTE Project
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

what the?

ok jibby, ya lost me. and btw - none of the oem uz rods are forged
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0553.jpg (212.3 KB, 9 views)