Piggyback ECU Tuning Solution for basic A/F and timing control on 2UZ-FE?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bigwebb83

Looking for a relatively in expensive tuning solution to tune my 2UZ-FE. Wont be doing any forced induction or anything. Just some basic intake and exhaust type stuff at best. I just want to dial in a vehicle specific tune to maximize my output and fuel efficiency. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Megasquirt standalone ECU can exploit a UZ for a very good price and its very easy to setup, (14 wires i believe?). They run around $400 for the box and the harness is pretty cheap as well. Whats nice is that the board is re-buildable if you pop/burn it up by accident. There are not too many basic/cheap piggybacks that control timing as well as fuel correction. In your case of a 2uz N/A, you would really benefit from some extra ignition timing. The AFR can be leaned a couple points for some gain but this wont result in a lot. The ignition timing is where the big gains come from. I remember people running the Unichip with a few added degrees of timing over in the UK, reporting 10-12% WHP gains with basic supporting mods (full exhaust + BFI).

Megasquirt standalone ECU can exploit a UZ for a very good price and its very easy to setup, (14 wires i believe?). They run around $400 for the box and the harness is pretty cheap as well. Whats nice is that the board is re-buildable if you pop/burn it up by accident. There are not too many basic/cheap piggybacks that control timing as well as fuel correction. In your case of a 2uz N/A, you would really benefit from some extra ignition timing. The AFR can be leaned a couple points for some gain but this wont result in a lot. The ignition timing is where the big gains come from. I remember people running the Unichip with a few added degrees of timing over in the UK, reporting 10-12% WHP gains with basic supporting mods (full exhaust + BFI).

what is involved with the install? Is it something I could do myself with limited experience or would I need to have someone else do it?

The megasquirt is unique in that all the wires for the harness are both labeled as well as color coded. The real work is reading wiring diagrams and chasing down where to splice the harness in. Its a lot of wire chasing but not impossible. I would say an average person could do this if they had a secondary mode of transporation because unless your a pro, its pretty hard to knock out in a single day. You will also need a laptop to run/tune the software.

If it seems like too much work, you can always take it to a professional tuner and it should be around $1000 on top of the standalone purchase.

i already talked to one guy who deals with megasquirt tuning and he said he;d be interested in tuning it but not installing it. thats not promising. any repudable shops in the kansas city area anyone could recommend for a job like this?

Cant help you in the kansas area but i think there might be a couple shops up in Denver if you can drive. Most shops dont get 32 valve v8's that often, and the UZ never got thr aftermarket support the 2jz does and tuners tend to follow this. Its by no means impossible but spend a lot of time asking around, its always worth the time. You need someone with a lot of experience and this can run up to $150/hour for a pro to install it. With the capabilities a standalone and the understanding of how to utilize it through a simple laptop, its just like overclocking a computer or tweaking a stereo. Capabilities are endless.

Cant help you in the kansas area but i think there might be a couple shops up in Denver if you can drive. Most shops dont get 32 valve v8's that often, and the UZ never got thr aftermarket support the 2jz does and tuners tend to follow this. Its by no means impossible but spend a lot of time asking around, its always worth the time. You need someone with a lot of experience and this can run up to $150/hour for a pro to install it. With the capabilities a standalone and the understanding of how to utilize it through a simple laptop, its just like overclocking a computer or tweaking a stereo. Capabilities are endless.

This is what I want to do. I want to get it installed because I lack the confidence in my abilities to take that on myself. I would like to maybe throw a base tune on it and then tune it myself conservatively. How hard do you think this would be for me? I do have some limited experience with a utec on a turbocharged 350z but am by no means an expert tuner.