The Fish

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
KC, your "tensioner" for the tensioner is a slick idea!

I actually have to give a buddy at work (two bays down) credit for the idea. It is very slick. The difference in tension is like night and day. Could help all the supercharged guys, including roots guys too.

I need to play with it a bit more, but the basic idea works very well.

KC

I actually have to give a buddy at work (two bays down) credit for the idea. It is very slick. The difference in tension is like night and day. Could help all the supercharged guys, including roots guys too.

I need to play with it a bit more, but the basic idea works very well.

KC

I hear you. I noticed a bit of belt flapping at high boost when we were on the dyno with mine. To be fair, I didn't have anything but an alternator on the slack side and it was a looooong stretch of belt from the alternator up to the SC. Will give this a try on the next dyno session.

Adding some tension to the belt seems to have gained me 1 to 1.5 psi on the street. And, the car seems to be a bit more responsive than it was before, may be my imagination, hard to explain.

I think I'm still losing some boost somewhere. I have in the past seen 10+ psi with the intercooler. Now I'm seeing 8 to 8.5 psi. The first thing I'm going to test is the bypass valve. I think I lost some boost when I installed it, and I've had problems with it before.

I also think it might help if I went to a dyno that was capable of loading the car a bit more.

This coming Thursday, I might go to an eighth mile track. They have a test and tune night every Thursday. If I get a decent time, I may at some point make the hour drive to the quarter mile track.

KC

Ambient temperature has a big effect too. Turbocharged Supra owners really get to enjoy their cars in the late fall and early spring when the temperatures are in the high 30's and 40's.

Just between an 80 degree day and a 50 degree day, the difference in power is amazing with my two cars.

Only 7.39 psi. So I'm making a little bit more power with a little less boost with much safer temps.

Have you had yours dynoed yet? Sorry if I've missed it.

KC
Only 7.39 psi! Wow! You impressed me even more. I can't imagine if you'll up the boost at 12 psi with the new dyno number. This is real street number. No, I haven't dynoed mine yet. I'm still working on the body kit and I'll dyno mine when I up the boost a little more. I'm planning to add 2 extra injectors, then up the boost at 12 psi.

I believe if you have good tension on the belt, you'll gain more boost because the belt doesn't slip around the pulley at all. You may also have quicker boost too by split of a second.

Just like Cribbj said, the temp. takes an important role in making more power. Colder air will have denser O2 to burn.

Ya, 315sih rwhp is very good for only 7ish psi. I tightened the belt and I'm getting 8-9ish psi now, but the weather has changed. I was getting 7-8psi on the street, I tightened my belt and the ambient droped like 30 degrees overnight, so I'm not sure if I gained a couple of psi because of the belt or because of the temp or both.

I'm going to do some testing today. I'm going to go for a drive and hit redline at some point without changing anything else to see what I get. Then I'll try removing the bypass and see what I get. If there's no change in boost, I'll do a quick leak check to see if I find anything. I might play with the PCV system a little.

Regardless of temp, I should be able to hit at least 10psi if not more. The pulley is a 12psi pulley...and I've seen 12psi before. Hmmmm.

KC

Guys,

I've tried a few things and nothing seems to get me over 9psi, which is still more than I was getting on the dyno.

I guess the intercooler is eating the rest.

Oh, well, I'm happy with the way the car is running regardless.

Here's a new vid - http://youtube.com/watch?v=OUMgjV6ntgc

If it doesn't get rained out, I'm going to "test and tune" at the local eigth mile track tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes!

KC

Didnt see the last post. First off, I think we are all curious to ask what was the blockage? lol

Anyways. On my setup, I basically planned on running the piping directly to the intake manifold, skipping a intercooler all together. Add water/alcohol injection into the mix and we got some nice low temps with great driveability.

Also, can you snap a few pics of the body mod you had to make for the FISH to fit?

-Matt

Matt and anyone else doing the fish on an SC4,

Looking through all my pics the other night and found this.

You can get some idea of where the body needs to be "modified". If you take the top off of the fuse box, you will notice 2 studs that hold it in place. If you notice in my pic, the portion of the body that the passenger side stud should bolt in to is missing because it has been "modified". The bracket will not sit on the engine until the metal is moved. Even though it fit in the pic, I still decided to cut some of the bracket off, just to be sure it wouldn't hit the body when the engine torqued.

BTW, if anyone needs a pic of something specific, let me know. My ISP cancelled their pic hosting service, that's way all the pics disappeared, but I still have them all on my hard drive.

KC

So it's been raining since Thursday night, and I the test and tune was a no go.

I was honestly very dissapointed, but, they have it every Thursday night so I'll be going next week.

I really think I'll have an awesome time, don't care to say what I think it will be, but I think it will be quicker than many may think.

Some good news. I think I've mentioned before that I work about 5 minutes from Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. Well, they are building a quarter mile track across the street from the speedway! Should be up and running by September.

KC

..Some good news. I think I've mentioned before that I work about 5 minutes from Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. Well, they are building a quarter mile track across the street from the speedway! Should be up and running by September.

KC

With a good launch, I think you can run a low 13 for 1/4 mile.

Speculation of course, but like I said, I think I may be quicker than many may think.

Watching back on my videos and knowing how long the road is where I make them, I think I will be AT LEAST low 13's. I hit 85mph in 8 seconds flat. Won't know for sure until I go of course. And, I'm gonna get me feet wet at an 1/8 mile track.

For those that don't know, this is a trusted (by NHRA) formula for converting times from an 1/8 mile to a 1/4 mile and visa versa. Quarter mile time multiplied by 64% = estimated 1/8 mile time. 1/8 mile time divided by 64% (.64) = estimated 1/4 mile time.

I'll post the time slip regardless of my time. Keep an eye out Thursday night.

KC

With a good launch, I think you can run a low 13 for 1/4 mile.

Attachments

• P1010878.JPG
    P1010878.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010879.JPG
    P1010879.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the better picture. I know its a lot of work, but I think you should reupload all the pics to photobucket or something and make a blog with everything on it :)

I can wait for time slips.

Matt

Thanks for the better picture. I know its a lot of work, but I think you should reupload all the pics to photobucket or something and make a blog with everything on it :)

I can wait for time slips.

Matt

I honestly don't ever see having time to upload all the pics and give descriptions.

Going to the track tomorrow night! Anybody have any tips?

If it's not too busy, I have a few things I am going to do as a test. A couple of runs with and without the bypass valve. A couple of runs without the air filter. Stuff like that.

Look for slips tomorrow night.

KC

Ok guys, ran the 1/8 mile last night. My times are very crappy but I have a few very good excuses as to why. Gonna list all my times in the order I ran them, then give my excuses.

Run 1 - Sadly, this was my best run. Up against a small car (it was a Mazda I think) with an LS1 and a manual, his ET was 9.302, spanked him!

Reaction .719
60ft 2.032
ET 8.987
MPH 78.906

Run 2 - I don't remember what kind of car I ran but his ET was 9.967.

Reaction .487
60ft 2.328
ET 9.362
MPH 79.99

Run 3 - I tried with the traction control on, didn't help much. This was against the LS1 Mazda again, this time he ran a 11.142.

Reaction .664
60ft 2.24
ET 9.269
MPH 80.568

Run 4 - This was the closest race. It was a Buick something or other, had no badges on it. I have no idea if it was Turbo or not. He ran a 9.177, I barely beat him.

Reaction .205
60ft 2.064
ET 9.108
MPH 81.113

Run 5 - I was up against the feared 4cyl Mustang, old and beat up, LOL. He ran an amazing 13.358!

Reaction .995
60ft 2.12
ET 9.088
MPH 79.976

Ok, now that I've posted the crappy times, here are my excuses for them......

I'm on 225's, I had some very very serious traction problems. I honestly wasn't aware of how bad my wheels were spinning until today, there were a few people from work at the track watching the races (I didn't even know they were there until today) and they told me about it. It was describe a few different ways to me. One guy told me that my tires spun all the way through first gear and quite a bit into second as well. I had another guy tell me, who was sitting about a 1/3 of the way down the track, that when I passed him, my tires were still spinning. I had another guy tell me that he could hear my tires spinning over the sound of the open headers on the LS1 on the car I raced on the first run. :eek2: I think this is the biggest reason for my crap times.

Next excuse. I am a total newb to drag racing. This was my first time ever at a drag strip. I went in not really knowing too much about it. Well, this is very embarrassing honestly, I am very sure that I was letting of the gas early. It was dark and I had absolutely no idea were the finish line was. On my very last run, I noticed the light on the side of the track the lights up when the finish line is crossed.:egads: I have no idea how much time this was costing me, but it hurt me for sure.

I think I would do very well in an actual quarter mile. I was hitting third gear right about the same time I was crossing the line. The car pulls hard in third.

I think my biggest issue is traction, I imagine a significant time reduction would be had if I could hook. Not only do spinning tires not accelerate a car very well, they also make the engine bounce of the rev limiter and ultimately, the transmission (mine anyway) will shift early. If I'm able to hit a 8.9 with my tires spinning a 1/3 of the way down the track, then, OMG if I can hook. Turning the traction control on didn't help, it keeps the tires from spinning, but at the cost of power and boost. The traction control was bogging the engine down for a few seconds and then, when the ECU decided I had traction, the car took off, pushing me into the seat.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed. I have a tremendous amount of room for improvement and, I had fun. And, I won every race, which was cool. I turned quite a few heads. While waiting in the pit lanes, I would pop the hood to let out the heat, quite a few people did double takes as they walked by.

There's a few guys at my work who are into racing, I'm in the process of trying to source some slicks. I will probably go back next week regardless.

Let me know what you guys think.

Khris

Wow, This is exactly why I purchased a set of CCW drag wheels (Street ET's and skinnys) I hope when I hit the track this summer I will hook up.

What tyre pressure did you run?

On street tyres, a manual box and a 2.92:1 final drive i still managed a 1.7 60ft. With an auto you should get me there :) I dropped pressures down to 18psi and gave the tyres a fair warm up skid :D