Swapping 3uzfe WITH automatic questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Dadzsun

Hi, I'm looking for some help on a 3uzfe swap I'd like to perform on my '76 280z.

The car is currently equipped with an automatic and I'd like to retain that feature for a more relaxed GT-cruising setup (I have a Datsun 510 KA 5 speed for fun days).

I'll start by saying I have a rough idea of an automatic's mechanical operation, but know squat about the gear shifting -> ECU communication process. I believe my older car runs a hydraulic interface but newer cars use an electronic computer(?) as a middle man to ECU input.

So when I purchase a JDM 3USFE complete with a 5 speed auto tranny, what else should I be looking for? This electronic auto computer? Some kind of shifting console from any UZ-equipped car?

Any help would be appreciated!

Fritz

computer 89661-50590 controls both engine and a/t and needs no additional signals if wired properly
You will probably have speed limit at 130ish km/h instead of 180 due to gearing difference

You will need security computer, key, and antenna from the same car, or you will need my services, or stock ecu will be useless

computer 89661-50590 controls both engine and a/t and needs no additional signals if wired properly
You will probably have speed limit at 130ish km/h instead of 180 due to gearing difference

You will need security computer, key, and antenna from the same car, or you will need my services, or stock ecu will be useless

Thanks for responding.

I've decided to simplify the swap by going with a 1UZFE out of a '95 Lexus SC400 instead. I'm under the impression that the '95 1UZ doesn't have advance security features that are in the newer ODB2/vvti/3UZFE engines.

I have yet to look into the gearing - ultimately the difference between a '95 diff ratio versus the '76 one in my car.

Since my first post I've established that I'll need the shifting box, linkage, and a speed sensor(s) - of which I believe there are 2 that both come off the back of the tranny and feed into the ECU directly (#1 via a combination meter).

95 1uz doesn't have a speed sensor that feeds ECU via the combo meter which I think makes them easier to use. In some markets there are some security ECU's in the gen 2 engines but simple to swap over to the non security ecu.

Thanks for the info Gloverman.

It's certainly looking like earlier 1UZs are easier & cheaper to install - at the expense of additional OEM vvti power. I'm hoping some cheap eBay/2UZ headers will recoup some of that. Ultimately keeping things to under 300hp may not be a bad thing for a light S30 chassis that is a planned DD - besides I'm planning to add a low pressure turbo to my KA-powered 510 to provide my shits & giggles.

I'll be sure to document/picture my exact auto installation/integration when I pickup the power train later next month. Additionally, I'm hoping to carry over quite a bit from the sc400 including A/C and cruise control if possible (seems quite feasible actually).