oil level sender questions (1uz from 1992 soarer)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mat Grant

Hi all,

@Mods - If this is in the wrong section please move it and apologies.

Does anyone know how the oil level sender works on the 1UZFE? My engine is a rear sump from a 1992 Soarer if it makes any difference. From googling I’ve found a few documents and images, but haven’t got a clear picture of how it works.

This 1uz is in a different car (1970s Lotus)

There are two connections on it, one of which is ground. What I need to know is whether it should be open when oil is full, closed when empty to light the warning light, or the other way round.

Because 1 wire is a ground wire, I assumed it is a “close to ground” type of thing, like the oil pressure sender. The oil pressure sender closes on low pressure and opens when normal oil pressure is achieved. So I’ve wired a 12v supply to the dash oil pressure warning light bulb, and the ground side of this bulb goes to the pressure switch. With the ign on and the engine not running, this light comes on, then goes off once the engine starts and oil pressure is achieved.

I’ve wired the oil level in the same way – 12v to a dash light, and the ground side of this bulb to the oil level sender. However this light is just on all the time. The level in the engine is good, so I don’t understand this – possibly it’s sticking or faulty, or I’ve made the wrong assumption about how it works.

If the polarity is the other way, I can just wire in a relay to make the bulb illuminate when the oil sender switch is open. How complicated can an oil level sender be when it just has to be on/off to drive a warning light(!)

The next steps I'll take are I'll take the wiring plug off and confirm the rest of the circuit is all good. If necessary I'll drain the oil and take it out, and see what I can figure out....

But I'd be grateful for and advice or suggestions form anyone who knows about this.

Thanks, Mat.

I've never used the oil level sensor in my conversions as the dipstick is a more reliable way of checking if there's oil in the pan.;) I have removed one in the past to sell to another member on here IIRC and it's basically just a float switch.

Hi Bushwhacker,

Thanks for the reply. I've double checked the wiring and that is all ok. The car is running but I've not driven it anywhere. I'll see if it comes good after a bit of driving - if it is sticking it may free off with use and a few road bumps etc. I found a thread on here suggesting it is open when oil is high, and closed when oil is too low. If so mine is definitely stuck closed when it should be open.

By the way I've got a Lancia Beta Coupe - that has an oil level gauge. It is mechanical using a capillary tube that goes through the dipstick(!) You press a button on the dash, then release, and the gauge is supposed to move to show the amount of oil in the sump. In the manual it says words to the effect of: "do not use this as confirmation of oil level - use the dipstick if you really want to know how much oil is in the engine".

Makes me laugh - why bother fitting it then....

Anyway I'll update if I make any progress. I guess as the wiring is good the worst case is I'll have to take it out, clean it, or swap in a working one.

Thanks, Mat.

The switch is open when sufficient oil is aboard and closed when too low.

The warning light needs power one side and run to the switch on the other.

When the oil level drops, switch closes and complete circuit for light to illuminate.

All you need to do is notice the light's on.

Interesting you have a Beta, I would have thought all Beta's in the UK would have rusted away.

We have a Lancia 037 that sits and never gets driven! Right hand drive too, the only one!

Hi Rod, thanks for the confirmation of the polarity. Must be my sender is sticking or faulty.

Wow an 037 - cool! Must be worth quite a bit. I would love one but if I owned one it would probably end up in a tree - So probably a good thing that they are out of my price range!

Cheers, Mat.

Matt,

The 037 is rarely driven and was purchased 11 years ago purely as an investment.

You can have it for 250,00 Euro.