Piggyback ECU Map ecu good, bad and ugly??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SIDEWAYZ

I am looking at going with the map ecu 3. I am building a high comp engine with good exhaust cams and itb. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with the map ecu on early 1uz. Also my car is manual gearbox.

They work well on a low mod engine. For what you are doing I think a full aftermarket would make life much easier. Are there road legal issues with an aftermarket ECU?

A full aftermarket is simple when set up correctly. And Im talking professional Ecu with proper support. I use Link(im a dealer) for most of our aftermarket stuff and they are simple and easy to work with. Tuning is easy and being a local company we have plenty of support. Stock is real simple too once the loom is stripped and all the extras removed , diagnostic plug fitted at allow current data but without any adjustment you cant take advantage of changes over a stock system. If there are holes in the tuning with a stock system (some are 20 years old) nothing can be done about it.
Having a stock system and then a second system over the top is not so simple as just one system to deal with.
I always recommend finding someone local who knows their product and will stand behind it. Correct wiring is vital as most issues with aftermarket systems is due to poor wiring.

Cheers

The issue i have with a standalone, i dont have anybody local that KNOWS the ecu they sell. I can find someone in maryland im sure, but that would be about a four - six hour drive for me. I really wish i could just plug n play with something that self tunes. Fjo used to have a self learning stand alone but they are no longer available that im aware of. That is what id really like to have.

No support is a big issue. When I supply an ECU I always try to supply as many diagrams as possible. I load one of my dyno maps matched to the injector size and setup. If doing a full loom with ecu it comes with install instructions. I have now started putting up photos of some jobs on facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheCartuneCompany?ref=tn_tnmn
which allows the customer to see the job before it leaves with full explaination and it doubles as some install notes. Seems to work really well and ill be doing more like that. I even put a video of the setup running the engine so I know it works.

You are putting alot of faith in a ECU to allow it to self tune. Link has that feature but it does require the user to set it up correctly and it should really be monitored. And then there is fueling and ignition. Fuel just needs the addition of a wideband with controler. Spark requires either the addition of a knock system or buying the xtreme with built in knock sense. I still always use my audio gear and complete the tune with a mix of road and dyno.

So there are no tuning shops in your area at all?

Not any i would trust. I just visited link website and they showed closest dealer in maryland. Seems maryland has all the good go fast shops for the jap cars. Here in north carolina everyone builds american muscle. This is the home to NASCAR.