ls400 high stall torque converters

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

swampdog

hello all....
if i've posted in the wrong section please feel free to move it,i just figured the intro section might be best(sorry)

firstly a brief run down of what i'm running...it's a '98 hilux double cab,with a 1uzfe engine swap,and rear axle from a shogun (to give diff lock,stronger 9" diff,4.88:1 ratio,disc brakes,and stop axle wrap when under power)

20160314_171945_zpsobolly6t.jpg

i have a quick question about high stall converters for the 1uzfe (ls400).
i live in the uk and can't seem to locate one anywhere.
when i google it, 'lextreme' is the top listing but i'm unsure if you still make them?
can anyone advise me on this please,or point me in the right direction.

also,if there is anything else you'd recommend,please speak up (i've heard about shifter kits,but unsure where to get one,or how/where it's even installed).

i'm not after anything neck braking,but just feel that although there's plenty of power in the 1uz,it just gets lost somewhere in the transmission and it's all a bit limp.

many thanks for any help or advice.

Gary

Last edited:
The Site no longer sells or supplies any products.

Most competent Auto trans shops should be able to modify your torque converter.

These engines don't put out all that much torque and whilst you have deep gears in the diff the tyre diameter (looks like 33") will effectively make the diff ratio higher.

I run 4.11 gears and 35" tyres through a manual box and I find 1900kg means quite a bit of gear swapping on hills.

I really don't think the 1UZ is well suited to 4x4 work due to the lack of torque.

If I did this again it would be with an LS3. Almost twice the torque at half the revs.

thanks for your reply Zuffen,
that's a damn shame you no longer sell these,i'm not sure i even know of any trans shops locally....let alone trust one to do this,maybe i'll do a bit of research.
you're correct about the 33's,and to be honest the gearing is pretty good.i actually found 4.56 to be the best ratio on 33's(and the speedo read exactly right,as opposed to 5mph fast with the 4.88's),shift points seemed better and felt like it pulled through better than the 4.88's,contrary to logical thinking.but i needed 4.88 as lsd's are easier to find in 4.88,and later i found the only mitsubishi shogun ratio that matched toyota was 4.88 (4.875 to be exact),which was very handy for my coil conversion,like i say,gave a stronger 9" diff,rear disc brakes and best of all a rear locker,and you can pick a whole axle up over here for £150.
i'm surprised about what you say about torque,when i looked into doing this i read they had good torque and dumped it in down low. this is my second one now,my first was a mk4 extracab and that did pretty good rolling burnouts,but this one just won't break the tyres.my first conversion was from an imported celsior...so maybe it had different engine management or something. it had the plastic MAF as opposed to the ali one i have now(don't know if that means anything to you)?
i'll have a look into the LS3,i've not heard about that one....don't even know what it's from,lol.
anyway,thanks again for your help

My engine will be down on torque as I'm using the headers that were built for it when it was supercharged.

If I changed to smaller diameter headers I would pick up a bit of torque.

The LS3 is a late model 6.2 litre Chev engine.

I have one in another project and they make around 430hp but mine is around 475 at the moment.

As I run Nissan Patrol axles I can go down to 4.83 gears if I want as having it rev a bit on a Motorway doesn't bother me.