Locktite shim to bucket

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ivan129

BlownZX
I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with the idea of using locktite or Devcon to glue shims to the buckets. That is to make a shimless bucket. I'm fitting some high lift cams and am concerned about spitting shims. What other options are available for standard spring retainers? thanks..

Neither deb in nor loctite will handle the abuse and the shim is supposed to rotate as well to even wear (same for the bucket).

How big are the cams and what redline are you looking at? It would have to be pretty extreme to cause issues?

An n/a engine I assume?

you will be right, i think we worked out .420'' (10.5mm) lift was the absolute max you could run. shim over bucket is fine for 9000-9500rpm, maybe more don't know anyone that has pushed over that.

we ran the Performance Springs 2JZ for over 5 years, we took them out and only 2-3 of the 32 had dropped about 10lbs, everything else was around 3-5lbs.

Last edited:
It's more of an issue when re ground cams have too small base circle where the nose of the cam is on outside of shim and not in contact on centre .. There's way better valve springs around now which takes out the pioneering ..

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with the idea of using locktite or Devcon to glue shims to the buckets. That is to make a shimless bucket. I'm fitting some high lift cams and am concerned about spitting shims. What other options are available for standard spring retainers? thanks..

put plenty of spring in it , and zero issues:cool:
its the valve bounce and cam coming away from bucket than causes the shim to flick out....
rather than 8800 rpm and 46 psi boost splitting bores in block...opps did I say that ?

It's more of an issue when re ground cams have too small base circle where the nose of the cam is on outside of shim and not in contact on centre .. There's way better valve springs around now which takes out the pioneering ..

lol
the cam is ground on a taper so it touches one side more for a reason....