EXCELLENT news for A650E 5 speed automatic transmission cars (1998-2004+) Lexus

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Check out the recently developed HD billet sprag for these transmissions.

This IMO is a game changer and makes building a FI Lexus that uses this transmission not the disaster it has been.

Courtesy of and thanks to Jeff Tsai :cool:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...mission-failure-at-elevated-power-levels.html

sprag12.jpg

Nice find John. I have already read the link. I am wondering if anything can be done to assist with the A340?

Ryan

If the sprag dimensions are the same as the 650 then yes but if not the billet housings may be cost prohibitive. Post this question on Jeff's thread or shoot him a PM. Surprised the Supra crowd had not developed something similar or maybe they just abandon the 340 for a THM400 or 4L80E.

Would be nice to have more strength options for these Toy-otas...

If the sprag dimensions are the same as the 650 then yes but if not the billet housings may be cost prohibitive. Post this question on Jeff's thread or shoot him a PM. Surprised the Supra crowd had not developed something similar or maybe they just abandon the 340 for a THM400 or 4L80E.

John / Ryan,

The Supra guys developed upgraded sprags & clutches for the A340's years ago. Sound Performance were the first, and I think Boost Logic has them too. I don't know if either shop will sell them separately, or only with one of their upgraded A340's. I would call Lar at Sound Performance and inquire - he may not give a definitive response in an email, if you know what I mean.....

Hmm. What low cost tranny swaps are possible if any? My 340 is about to blow and it blows already :) I like the 5 speed for the ratios (actually only need 1-4), but to run a 650 I need a trans controller.. is there a cheaper way to do this?

BTW, what's the "billet housings"? Just make them? I've got a new CNC mill coming in a couple weeks :)

anyone know how to get hold of this jeff guy??? i want some of these!!!

email Jeff at [email protected]

MORE INCREDIBLE GOOD NEWS...

Jeff has dyno'd his 2002 VVTi GS300... WITH... the A650E transmission...

800+rwhp :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://my.is/forums/f114/i-finally-dynod-my-car-new-world-record-gs300-pix-videos-inside-441162/

On the STOCK ECU with eManage piggyback and excellent drivability :eek: :eek: :eek:

a650e transmission uses his upgraded 2-3 sprag,stiffer VB springs and programming

Really, it isn't all that much different from the other builders of these things. It has a upgarded intermediate sprag/3rd gear(mine is a billet sprag, so possibly a bit stronger), and a few extra clutches. This transmission isn't even cryo or heat treated or any of that fancy stuff. It had a lot to do with the valve body calibration. All of the other shops use a solid rod to stop movement of the accumulators. Yes while this will make the car shift faster, you're also very prone to breaking something. The accumulators are like shock absorbers on the gears and parts.

Think of it as if your car had no suspension, and the axles were bolted straight to the chassis. You would have an extremely uncomfortable ride and probably break your neck if you hit a pothole lol. The stock shifting calibration is like what an old Lexus suspension would be. Super soft and mushy and just slow lazy shifts. What I did is installed custom spec'd springs into the transmission. Now it's like if you put a set of sport coilovers on the car. Much stiffer, but not as stiff as straight solid axles bolted to the car.

Hope that was a good analogy. Anyways I do not use any rods at all, just custom springs only. This give the gears that little bit of shock absorption to let it hold up instead of blowing up. The only problem is that the 3rd gear sprag, no matter how strong is still not strong enough to hold serious power. You have to train yourself to let off the gear for a split second between the 2-3 shift under full throttle acceleration. Kind of like if you were driving a manual transmission, you have to let off to shift. Every other gear you can hold it in, just not the 2-3.

If anyone is interested, I can build up a transmission for you to make it hold some good power. I just need to become a vendor here to do that. If it's not too expensive and I have enough interest, then I'll consider doing it.

Let's see how this go's!

Hello again Jeff,

I would really like to give you money for transmission parts if you would kindly return my emails! as I'm located in Australia shipping a whole trans is far from viable.

Regards,

Allan

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Allan <allan> wrote:
Hello Jeff,

I have obtained a workshop manual but still very much after the sprags!

Cheers,

Allan

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Allan
<allan> wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> Do you sell the A650 sprags still or know where I can get some?
>
> also after an a650 workshop manual if you have it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Allan

I'm looking at putting about 320hp/400nm (at the engine) through my stock vvti v8 A650e gearbox with a modified valve body from IPT USA

Would I be at risk of breaking the 2-3rd sprag? Or is this more so the guys with the force inducted setups?