Ecu swapping compatibility

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

swampdog

Hi guys. I haven't really had to post on lextreme before as my engine has been pretty faultless. ...but I need your help now please.
Started of with tps error code 41
Renewed sensor and spaced correctly but still throws code and goes into what I'm calling limp mode
Will rev fully if done gently but if I dump the throttle it does the limp thing.
So pulled the ecu and some slight capacitor leakage from one or two.
I've ordered new caps but fear board might be damaged

Here is my main question. ....

Current ecu is 89661-50160 with 34,16,22,24 pin plugs
I have another ecu with same plugs. It's number is 89661-50351.
I plugged that in but won't start and engine fault light doesn't flash. So guessing engine and ecu ain't talking.

Can I use this ecu if I swap a couple of wires or is it a no go from the start?

Please help me. .....or has anyone in the uk got an ecu number 89661-50160 that they will sell me

Many thanks for any help

Gary

Last edited:
160 is gen 1 with alloy body AFM and group fire injection. 351 is gen 2 with plastic body afm and sequential injection. Not interchangeable.
thank you....today i learned something
i also have the plastic AFM to go with the 351 ecu and the whole engine loom.
i haven't yet compared the two looms closely (and i work away from home,only go home weekends)....could i use the ecu if i also swapped the AFM by splicing in the plug from other loom or are they that different that i would have to change the loom entirely.

i actually struck lucky today and aquired the correct ecu,so really my question is more for fulfilment now. than anything else,to maybe future proof myself with some ammo,lol

once again,thanks for your time and knowledge....appreciated

The grouped injection and sequential injection difference means the injector wiring is also different. There are a couple of other pinout changes between the ECU's as well. Including the power supply to the gearbox solenoids(lockup and line pressure, not shift solenoids) is supplied from main relay in 160 and from the ECU in the 351. It would be easier to swap the complete loom. You would also need to swap to the matching ignitors to suit the ECU.

The grouped injection and sequential injection difference means the injector wiring is also different. There are a couple of other pinout changes between the ECU's as well. Including the power supply to the gearbox solenoids(lockup and line pressure, not shift solenoids) is supplied from main relay in 160 and from the ECU in the 351. It would be easier to swap the complete loom. You would also need to swap to the matching ignitors to suit the ECU.
once again i thank you....this is actually making sense to me,i had a zavoli LPG system fitted and it wasn't quite running right until engine was a good 10 mins into being warm,he was going on about it might run better if he changed it from sequential to grouped (or something like that) but didn't want to do it cause it runs slightly noisier or something (injector noise).i think i'll go back to him with this informtion,cause maybe not everyone knows this(even if they should),they might just consider all 1uz's are the same(ish),and perhaps needs to turn it from one to the other depending on plastic or ally MAF
thanks again,if my new ecu cures my problem i will be back to start and complete a thread regarding my issues,as a lot of my research was thwarted by people not coming back to complete their threads,so man y had the same issues,but not one had the solution (which is why i'm really hoping it's the ecu cap thing)

I prefer the later ecu and wiring every time as I find they generally run better and give less issues. I think the ecu is a bit "smarter " if that makes sense. The oxygen sensor circuit is vital on the late ones that it's right. Early ones it still makes a difference but not a much. Early air flow meters are getting old now and I see plenty fail.