E30 BMW -1UZ Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gazzawozza

Hi to all,
This is a Top!! site..

Currently developing a new project. Plan to use the E30 BMW chassis and a 1UZFE with the auto.
I am at the stage where I need to know my (the) limitations of the project, what am I allowed to do and what is required to be legal? I'm from Melbourne Australia, can someone suggest a person/s here that I can talk to about certification and project development? There are a few such conversions on this site, if anyone would like steer me straight, right from the start, please do!!!. The only frame I have set is; It will be my every day wheels, and to be N/A . "Light and Smooth.."
This is a very rich resource here, and I'm very much look forward to the roll out of this project
Cheers gazza

Hi im doing the same thing at the moment, for a start you need a front sump 1uz, also as your keeping it auto you might as well keep the factory auto and computer to run it all. (alot cheaper).
Exhaust wise there is bugger all room for extractors, but im still getting custom ones :) The factory exhaust manifolds prob wont work so you will prob have to change them.

Thanks drifty325i, the 'Crown" half cut then..? I may need to use a BMW forum for this-Chassic? if I'm probably going to be changing brakes and diff, does it matter if I use the 4cyl or the 6cyl chassic? Engine bay and trans tunnel differences?? Have seen some pics and threads of yours, was hoping to catch up. cheers

Plan to use the E30 BMW chassis and a 1UZFE with the auto.

That makes me sad :no:. BMWs deserve 5 speeds and BMW motors. If you are going to do a conversion, put a S50/52 in there and add a twin screw if you need more power. Or you can put a S62 motor in there if you insist on a V8 :)

F

Thanks drifty325i, the 'Crown" half cut then..? I may need to use a BMW forum for this-Chassic? if I'm probably going to be changing brakes and diff, does it matter if I use the 4cyl or the 6cyl chassic? Engine bay and trans tunnel differences?? Have seen some pics and threads of yours, was hoping to catch up. cheers

Yip Crown half cut will do. Both the 4cyl and 6cyl bmw chassis are exactly the same mate so no probs there. If you have a 4cyl i would just upgrade to a large case bmw lsd diff from a m325i or e30 m3. You will need a custom driveshaft. Brakes wise a decent set of slotted rotors and good pads all round will be all you need. And fluids. there is no difference in engine bay or trans tunnels.

That makes me sad :no:. BMWs deserve 5 speeds and BMW motors. If you are going to do a conversion, put a S50/52 in there and add a twin screw if you need more power. Or you can put a S62 motor in there if you insist on a V8 :)

F

Do you have any idear how expensive the s50/s52 or any decent powerfull bmw engine is down under? esp when you consider how expensive the computer to run it all will be compared to the 1uz. Also finding a bmw 5speed or 6speed to mate up to the s50 or s63(even harder to find) is almost impossible here and costs are astronomical.

example

1uzfe engine $1100nz ish
s50 engine $5000
5speed 1uz $450nz ish
5speed s50 $2000
Link computer 1uz $1350nz
Motec s50 $3000
Tuning 1uz $600
Tuning s50 $1000

BMW S50 $10,000 Plus
1UZFE $3,500 Plus

Thats not even taking into account, clutches,flywheels,filters,mounts all cost ALOT more for the bmw bits.

Dont get me wrong i would MUCH prefer a BMW engine in my M but all things added up and on a cost vs loyalty ratio id still take the lexus v8 any day. And they go dam hard !

i just wired up a 1uz into an e30 on friday

its a tight fit in there but not to bad

prob as tight as a 1uz in a hilux

the tunnel doesnt have much room around the auto box so once the auto is in there u cant play with much around it

the bmw auto shifter is to shoft for toyota auto boxes so the arm needs to be lengthened so the throw on the tbar matches the throw on the toyota auto box

and also radiator is limited for room aswell

but if u use a crown 1uz it doesnt have the hydraulic fan stuff so might give you afew more mms clearance

wiring went ok just looped harness over to right hand side and managed to bolt ecu into same position as old ecu went

Good info, thanks 'Drifty325i'. More 318's than 32x's avaiiable here on the market. I will do some research on the 'large case' diffs. Do you have pics from under your E30? 'front and rear cross members, engine mounts and sump position. Cheers gazza

Good info, thanks 'Drifty325i'. More 318's than 32x's avaiiable here on the market. I will do some research on the 'large case' diffs. Do you have pics from under your E30? 'front and rear cross members, engine mounts and sump position. Cheers gazza

No picks from underneath as yet mate. Will post up some in the next week or so:006:

Any problems with the steering? whats been done or what are your plans for the exhaust, header type..

No probs with steering as long as you custom make the headers on the left bank. Im just going for a basic header setup as the 1uz does not really gain alot from them over factory. Going for a twin 2 1/4 exhaust into a single 3 inch pipe. with 1 muffler.

It's no sleeper then.. Are you going auto or manual?
progress.gif

I've been planning out my new project, an E36 Coupe with 1uzfe and supra 5 spd. Does this model also require a front sump config?
Anyone on here done an E36 or know who to hassle for more info???
Things to look out for and things I need to know???

was going to make a new topic but everyone does that. can't find the specific info I am searching for. in australia.

Thanks.

Ty