Dry Sump

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alan Whitaker

Hi All
Today I started the dry sump pan and where to take off the pump drive, I have a Ross balancer on the way from down under, I have no room to put a nose drive pulley on due to the 2 1/2" turbo down pipes, no room either side of the engine to mount the pump, only place is the sump. Came up with a mod to fit the Glimmer pulley on the snout of the balancer, the Ross balancer is 51 mm dia so I can cut 18 or 19 teeth into it.
How as anybody els done a dry sump on the 1UZFE
Alan

Attachments

• Gilmer Drive.jpg
    Gilmer Drive.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Dry sump mock up.jpg
    Dry sump mock up.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 69
Alan, Erol Richardson (RMS here) built a superscreamer naturally aspirated racecar engine (out of a Toyota taxi no less) and dry sumped it. There are pics all over multiple sites of it - it's really a gorgeous motor.

Hi Cribbj.
Saw that, not many of the sump, Have got all the bits now, just waiting on a couple of fittings and the time to weld it all up.

I have sorted out the lube for the front seal, will remove the gear from the oil pump and block off the old pickup with a blank plate but drill a small hole to allow oil to drip out, I have one of the lex remote take offs as I only need the oil inlet to the engine I will blank off the oil hole out from the old oil pump and drill a small hole between the two holes so as to bleed a small flow of oil back into the old pump housing, this should keep the seal oiled up and a small hole in the pickup blank plate to allow the oil back into the sump.

Alan

Hi All,
Here is the idea on the front oil seal lube, As I have a remote oil filter I will tap both ports in the pump 1/2" NPT , one will be the feed into the engine from the filter and the other one I will plug. I have drilled a 1.5mm hole from the inlet to the pump gallery, this should allow somw oil into the empty pump housing to lube the seal, there is a blank plate on the old pick up inlet with a 3mm hole to allow the oil to drain back into the sump. Picture.

Alan

Attachments

• Oil Bleed to Oil Seal.jpg
    Oil Bleed to Oil Seal.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 28
Hi All
Update
Oil pump tapped and plug fitted, Now I have oil in from the filter, no gasksts to leak oil.

Alan

Attachments

• Oil Feed1.jpg
    Oil Feed1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Oil Feed2.jpg
    Oil Feed2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi All
As I had a scrap crank damper to use as a mock up, I machined 3mm of the snout, I have a 18T pulley which I have bored out to 44mm (under size for the Ross one) so it's just a tight push on to the stub (just comes off), Made a belt guard for the timing wheel and bolted it all up, with a 3/4" belt I have 4mm between the belt and the crank damper face, will machine a tapered belt guard for this side and just machine my 18T pulley down to fit, I will make the 18T pulley .003" longer so when the damper id torqued up it will compress the pulley tight.
As the pulley is steel I will shrink fit it to the damper snout. will have to wait for the Ross damper to finalise pulley size.

Alan

Attachments

• Belt Guard.jpg
    Belt Guard.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Belt Guard Clearance.jpg
    Belt Guard Clearance.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi All
Today I started welding the sump, had a 6 mm flange cut and used some 3 mm X 30 mm flat bar to form the sides.
It's only tacked as I forgot to order some rods, have to cut the bottom plate to match but should be a easy job as it's aluminium.
Next job is to blend in the oil returns to the sumo and put some dividers in. I have made all the pickups so it's just a long day welding.

Alan

Attachments

• Sump Floor.jpg
    Sump Floor.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Sump Floor1.jpg
    Sump Floor1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Sump Side.jpg
    Sump Side.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Sump Side2.jpg
    Sump Side2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Sump Side3.jpg
    Sump Side3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 35
  • sump Side4.jpg
    sump Side4.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Sump Sire1.jpg
    Sump Sire1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 42
Hi All
Today I did a temp fit on the dry sump drive, made a small aluminium belt giuse so I have one on the timing disc side to stop the belt rubbing on it and a small one on the pulley side to stop it rubbing on the pulley. Just waiting for the Ross one to do a propper fit.

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 26
Hi All,
Bit more welding today. Pickup pionts still to do

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 39
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 40
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 36
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 37
Update
The outside is done, still on the block to cool down from welding, Put the block on the floor and lowered the chassis over to make sure it all fits inside the chassis rails. Just to finish off inside the sump and make some protection for the pump pully and exhausts.

Alan

Attachments

• sump pump and exhaust.jpg
    sump pump and exhaust.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Exhaust clearance and steering brace.jpg
    Exhaust clearance and steering brace.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Exhaust and pump.jpg
    Exhaust and pump.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 44
Looks like it's really starting to move along now Alan, especially with that breakthrough finally on the CAD stuff for the inlet.

Very nice work all around!

Hi All,
Sump all done on the outside, will do the inside when I come back from holiday.
All fits inside the chassis rails, no problem with the sump clearance. Only got the oil deflectors to weld inside. was thinking of fitting a crank scraper but not sure if it will be of any use or help oil flow.

Alan

Attachments

• Finished Dry Sump1.JPG
    Finished Dry Sump1.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Finished Dry Sump.JPG
    Finished Dry Sump.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Finished Dry Sump2.JPG
    Finished Dry Sump2.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Front Dry Sump Pulley.JPG
    Front Dry Sump Pulley.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 42
Hey Alan that's some really nice fabwork.

I've got two questions

1-Does it work as expected?

2-(this is the stupid question) what is the advantage of a dry sump? I can think of the advantage for a 4wd on extreme angles.

BTW I'm new to the forum, just getting to learn as much as I can before starting on my own project.

Cheers.