Dipstick relocation

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

robbb

Hey I have a 1uz from 1992 which had a front sump. I have changed this with a custom rear sump, now I have read online there are ports for the dipstick inside the head with a plug. However when I look at my head it's just casting. Do I need to drill through this to access the port or how does this work? I have looked up lots of threads but haven't found any answers.
Thanks

The Crown engine (mid-sump) used the dipstick that went into the head.

From memory you would need to drill the head and use the Crown adaptor.

I'd suggest Googling for a photo of it.

Then post up a wanted to buy for the adaptor and dipstick.

There should be plenty around Australia and postage isn't too bad.

I had photos of this somewhere but can't find them.

Rod is correct about the early crowns. Some of the later engines had the head drilled and a plug fitted so you just have to remove the plug. Others didn't have the drilling but i've drilled a few out now with success. Both heads are the same so its on the LH front where there is a flat and at the back on the RH side as both head castings are the same ( but fitted in reverse)

Cheers

Ah okay yea my engine came from an ls400 so thats probably the reason why it doesnt have the drilling. I found this pic of a guy who did have the drilling and made his setup like this. But I couldnt understand how he did it because I didnt have the plugs. So by drilling out would I just be able to drill down into the head or is there anything else that needs to be done? Im gonna assume the head has to be taken off for this procedure or did you drill them without doing that?
25july09009.jpg

The drilling goes into an oil return that runs into the sump.

What I would do is remove the sump, locate the oil return and plug it with a rag.

Drill the hole (you would need to make the dipstick tube or perhaps someone on here can supply you one) and then remove the rag and flush the oil return from above and below.

If you removed the cam cover you could probably "rod" the oil return to get it spotless.

Any swarf you miss will most likely end up on the screen of the oil pickup and any that sneaks through will go through the oil pump (most likely it won't harm it) then be caught by the oil filter.

I'd change the oil after a few hundred miles just to be on the safe side.

If I had a tube here I'd post it over.

I'm a kiwi haha. No need to remove the head. Dot punch the target spot and start drilling. I've done plenty where Ive removed the blanking plug they are easy. Last one was the late casting without the blank and it worked out great.

Thanks guys! Ill start off with removing my pan then. I was surprised to get so many good reactions here I thought for sure people must have had the same issues before but when googling I really couldn't find much info. Ill update on how it went as soon as I have the chance to drill the hole.