Crown or Celsior - what to do??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Damo

OK, I'm in a quandry here, need some suggestions.

I am just about ready to go and purchase my half cut (like within the next week or so). I was all ready to get a Crown, but then the Celsior keeps jumping in my head.

Some advantages and disadvantages I can think of between the two at the moment:

. Crown is around $200-300 cheaper than Celsior
. Celsior is front sump which saves ~$600 in new sump or time in modification
. Crown is separate ECU & ECT making manual conversion "easier" later on
. Celsior is integrated computers so bit easier to get wired up
. Celsior is also usually a bit younger than the Crowns on offer at the moment
. Crown is more popular and "out there"

So, I need some advice. After much deliberation and evaluating, I have decided against a manual conversion at this stage. If was to happen it would be much later down the track.

Given I will be running everything as stock, what are peoples thoughts on the two models? I've heard about different exhaust manifolds etc and some other minor differences which could affect the transplant.

For reference, its to go into a VK calais. Thanks again for any help.

I recently transplanted a majesta motor into my hilux .I retained the auto
and original computer which controls the motor and auto. The speed sensor in the speedo is not wired in as I felt this may confuse the computer when in low range four wheel drive. I am not getting any error codes for my motor or transmission so they should be working ok. The celsior motor has a hydraulic fan as has the majesta this I did not use. It is run by a separate computer which takes its instructions from various sources. Providing you take the time to dissect the wiring from your half cut while referring to available wiring diagrams you will have success. Installing a manual transmission will add considerably to the cost and complexity of the conversion both mechanically and electrically. I am using a fuel pump and filter off a vl commodore . These were fed by an intank primer pump whch I retained.

Do any Crowns come in front sump design? The guy at the Toy Shop in Newcastle is swearing black and blue he has a front sump crown half cut. From what I've read here, the only front sump is the Celsior. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! What do I do?

But if you want to buy this front mount crown, ask the seller of the motor what is the output shaft on the auto tranny, Does it slide in and out? Mine didnt as the 96 majesta has an irs diff and does not come with the slip yolk in the output shaft. I had to convert it back to slip yolk and was a pain in the arse....

Hmmmmm, did your halfcut come with any driveshaft (obviously cut) left attached to the box? If I understand you correctly, it didn't.

If this unit did come with some driveshaft still connected to the box, couldn't I just get a driveshaft maker person to modify the current drive shaft by cutting the end off and grafting the majesta bit on? Or is that a no go? Is the slip yolk design still required?

The auto did come with a yolk that fits into the back of the auto but it does not slide in or out as there is a big nut on the end of the output shaft that holds the yolk in place. You could get a tailshaft manufacture make a tail shaft with a cardin shaft (which is a slip type joint) built into the tailshaft, but apparently these do not ballance as well as a earlyer slip yolk type. See these pics of the auto http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888

Hey Madmont,
If you're using the auto and have the speed sensors disconnected, your auto won't change gears so good - unless you're using a KDog tiptronic or similar - or is there some secret mod that you're not letting on about.

Also, if anyone wants my auto they can have it - its a crown with slip yoke - but you probably want to be in NZ...

Muzz

The ecu uses the speed sensor in the transmission to sense speed. At full throttle it changes at 6000rpm and locks the tc at about 65kph in od so i think it knows what is going on.