"Coil on plug" coils for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

autronic

I'm looking for "Coil on plug" coils for the pre VVTi 1UZFE, does any of you
guys know of anything that can be used ?

Remember the plug boots are long on the 1UZFE + the hole is about 25 mm
( I think, from the top of my mind ), suggestions ?

Edit: the hole is 24 mm in diameter and it's 96 mm from the top of the plug
"tube" to the uppermost part of the sparkplug.

I'd prefer a coil that is not visible like the LS1. What I'm looking for is a coil
similar to the original 3UZFE/1UZFE VVTi one.

BTW how much are they in Australia or the US ?

Attachments

• IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited by a moderator:
I've got some Ford Lightning (or any 5.4 V8 Ford) COP's at home. I'll have alook and see how they fit.

They won't seal the top of the plug tube. I post a photo.

The coils from the 98-2002? Toyota LandCruiser fit, if you want to do some rather involved modifications to the cam covers. It requires that you machine the cam covers and then weld in bosses to bolt the coils down. The coil covers (spark plug covers on yours) will not fit, but can be replaced with a fabricated cover.

Keep in mind you have to use a different ECU to drive 8 coils!!!

Later,
SteveO

steveo:

The work modifying the valve cover is not a problem. How much is a Toyota LandCruiser coil ?

Peewee:

Yup, got that one covered....:)

Attachments

• 2574 small.jpg
    2574 small.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 373
autronic:

I got a set of LandCruiser coils for $100US from a Toyota salvage yard in N. California.

Good luck with the conversion. It made sense to me since I was going to use an aftermarket ECU anyway. Don't forget to get the harness side connectors...

SteveO

Autronic,

Photo's of Ford COP attached.

Note. You would need to use and extender on the plug as the tail of the COP is too short.

They are a tight fit in the plug tube so would keep water out.

Zuffen:

Thank you, this board is great when it comes to odd questions as somebody have already done what one is asking for or have a part that can be used and is willing to use time to test the idea and see if it possible to do !

That coil can be used with an extention, how much is one coil ? It's from an aussie Ford, right ?

steveo:

Do you have pictures of the LandCruiser coil ? Can you post some here or e-mail me some ?

The coil may be on Aussie Ford, I don't know as I can't stand them and have no interest in them. Maybe trash them at the red light Grand Prix is as deep as it goes.

I got them off a Ford Lightning. They are brand new never used, they came with my supercharger.

I've got 8 off them with the associated clips and a bit of the loom and at the moment no use for them in sight.

Let me know if you think they would be of use to you.

LandCruiser coils

Autronic,

attached are some pics of the coils and the installation...
the last pics is of the part number on the back of the coil.
These coils, when seated to the oil seal in the cam cover, engage the spark plugs perfectly. The existing tapped holes are not the right distance from the spark plug well to use as the hold down for the coils or I would have "shaved the top side of the cam covers to fit the coils. The tops of the coils are at the same level as the top of the original spark plug valley, so I will be fabricating a different cover (one with ventilation so the coils don't overheat).

If you want more info, let me know...
Steve-o

steveo:

Those coils are exactly what I'm looking for, anybody know of a set for me as the breakers here in Norway isn't exactly flush with these engines.

Has anyone 'scoped the IGT signals coming from the ECU to these COP's?

I'm understanding the 1UZ & 2UZ COP's have integral igniters, and would really like to know what signal is required to trigger them.

I "think" that the IGT signal normally is +5v, and when it is pulled to 0v, the igniter is switched and the coil is fired.

Some Toyota igniter/coil circuits (2JZ-GTE motor for example) are only pulled from 5v to 2.5v to switch the igniter and fire the coil.

Thanks,

John

John,
Either lower voltage should be fine. At the most you could add a resistor to the ground trigger side to bring it up to 2.5 volts - probably not necessary though.
If someone can provide a car then I can measure them easily.

Also the Toyo systems usually trigger on a high voltage (IGt goes to high), and starts to charge the coil. The signal stays high for a bit, charging the coil and then IGt goes low, discharging the coil. So when IGt goes low the ignitiion event occurs.
The ignitors actually have dwell control (turns the coil on earlier at high RPM so the coil has enough time to fully charge) in them, so they actully decide when the coil starts to charge, not the ECU, but the ECU still determines when the coil discharges (or the ignition event if you like).

PS. If you guys are going CDI you would be better off with proper CDI coils which are slightly different to normal inductive ignition coils, though I have yet to find any which will look as neat as the 3uz ones.

Thanks Russell, I finally found the waveforms in the Toyota Tech Info. Looks like +5v from the ECU turns the igniter on and allows current to flow in the coil, and then 0v turns it off and causes the ignition "event". I don't think I'll even try the standard 2.5v trigger from the Supra AEM, but will modify it and go directly to 0v.

You're right, proper coils are a necessity for CD, but I'm happy with the COP's for the reasons you mentioned and plan to run them in a standard inductive style ignition - maybe with the addition of a booster like the HKS Twin Power DLI or similar (if necessary). We've had good luck with those on the OEM Supra ignitions which were converted to waste spark with the AEM.

John

1mz-fe v6's use COP '94-'96. Afterwards it was wasted spark.
That's probably the cheapest Denso COP's you'll find.

Attachments

• rail1.JPG
    rail1.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 98
  • rail2.JPG
    rail2.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 77
If the 1MZ-FE COP's have roughly the same dimensions as the later 1UZ COP's (for the VVTi motor) that might be an option.

Do the 1MZ-FE COP's have integral igniters? Would you have a ballpark price on them?

John

Rod,

Cheers for the photos of the ford COPs. From the photos, it looks like the ford COPs have a good 10-15 degree bend in them. Is this joint flexible, does it straighten in the spark plug tunnel? I am assuming not since you mentioned the need for an extension yet the coil is sticking a good bit above the cam cover... just thought I'd ask. Also, are the ford COPs two wire?

For those using/trying the four wire 1mz or 2uz plugs, are you using a stand alone system? If so, how are you wiring them up? It seems like a bit of a relay nightmare (not only for wiring reasons, but also b/c the delay rate and frequency response of standard relays is going to be a disaster) since all the EMS boxes I have familiar with use ground to go to spark (eg no provisions for 5v to 2.5v to 0v step switching)

cheers