Cast Aluminum Rear Drop Sump for 1UZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Sudsy

I am thinking of making some cast aluminium rear drop sumps for the 1UZ. They will probably be a winged design with the full rear bolt pattern to bolt to the bellhousing. Just wandering how much interest there would be if i was to go ahead. Wouldnt be till the new year i don't think so plenty of time to see how many responses i get. I will also be looking at oil filter housings and old style finned rocker cover inserts with room underneath for coil on plug. Any other ideas for parts are welcome but keep in mind the cost of having patterns made so keep it simple:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much interest so far. I will make a couple of sumps and finned trans oil pans and put some picks up when done & go from there. Sometime in the new year

Yeah I think you may be ahead of your time here. Most of these engines are not used in vehicles where people spend money on the underside. Hopefully you will do them and the final product will inspire excitement. And money in your pocket.

Jake

I have one in a hot rod and there are getting to be more fitted so will see what happens though rear sumps from what i can gather are sought after and harder to get than front or centre though could be wrong

i say go for the sumps - make them cheaper than the crs ones and make them hold a bundle of oil - like 8 or more litres
plenty cars need a rear sump and oil pickup solution - i know the mx5/miata v8 swap crowd would be excited about an easy to get rear sump to drop a 1uzfe into the mx5 - I know I have done one myself and the sump was a big challenge to overcome

I'm interested, depending on price. Alloy sumps are usually expensive, so i'm not sure there will be a large demand. I'd start making the small items first, such as the oil filter housings, finned rocker cover inserts and finned trans covers, as they will appeal to a wider market and be more affordable. Then look at making the sumps. Just my thoughts.

I should have a prototype sump early in the new year to make a mould off so will give you an idea of what they will look like and approx capacity and dimensions. They will be one peice and have the extra boltholes for bellfousing support as per original. Trans pan shouldnt be too much later:D:D

Am making some rocker cover inserts and thought i should make them to clear COP. Does anyone have a measurement from top of coil to top of rocker covers (highest point). Once i have that i can make them and post a pick. The sump and trans pan are still on the go.

Bob, I have several of these dimensions for different coils, and they're all different - which coils are you using?

Hi Cribbj, thanks for the reply. Im not using any at the moment. I want to make some billet alloy inserts to market so would perefer to make one style to fit most needs. Will also make some cast old school inserts for the hot rodders like myself and would like to make the pattern to do the same job.:):):)

Bob, I'm trying to visualise what you're on about - are you speaking of replacing those "4 Cam 32 Valve" plastic covers on top of the valve covers? And are you thinking that the COP's would be hidden from view under your inserts, or would they penetrate and the heads of the COP's would be visible?

Here's an early photo of what I did on my 1UZ, however my tastes have changed and I'm now planning on going a different direction with a much cleaner look and trying to conceal most everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0516 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0516 (Large).JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 39
Yes thats where they are for. I have a set of cast old school style that need polishing and hope to make some billet ones over the weekend so hopefully (camera permiting) will put some pics up next week

Well, since I'm going to go for a concealed look now on mine, I may be interested in what you're offering. Put some pics up when you can.

Thanks!

Hi Bob,

As your probably aware from other forums my rod is now on the road. I would be interested in some of your cast rocker cover inserts. Would be good to get rid of the Toyota on the passanger side to keep people guessing what engine it is.

How much? do you have any pictures?

Cheers

Daniel.

I thought the coils would have been lower than those. Might have to rethink things lol

They "can" be, but these are longer because I fitted the plugs with extenders. At the time, I wanted the heads of the coils exposed for better cooling and the look, but my tastes have changed.

These Tundra coils need a bit of modifying, but they'll supposedly fit down under those covers. The bike coils from applications such as the Honda CBR, etc. will also fit under the covers pretty well.

Heres a pic of the cast old school type. Still have to get them ploished properly but you get the idea. The others i am working on will be cnc ball milled but havent made any yet. Have no idea on price yet as just testing the waters at the moment.

S8001614.jpg

I will try to get a set of ball milled ones done this week. They will be in different styles as well so can be made to a specific style that you might want.