3UZ into 928 Porsche

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Axis of Evil

I've wanted one of these cars since the day I first saw one nearly 30 years ago, Problem was, as usual, they cost too much.
They started getting into my price range (read cheap) a few years ago, only problem was time had not been kind to most of them. Engine repairs/replacement and parts prices in general are insane.
Lack of maintenance because of high costs has not helped.
Many have burnt due to fuel lines not being replaced,nearly every one I looked at was still fitted with the ones they left the factory with. 14- 30 years, DOOM! just how long before it suprises you and you don't need the heater?
Bosch fuel pumps can really get volume moving when the hoses spring leaks.
After a 6 month search, managed to find exactly what I was looking for, Straight, never hit, well maintained, and with a totally shafted engine.
Previous owner had let his girlfriend drive it(now Ex girlfriend)
It started to get hot, this girl was a thinker, best way to cool it down, turn on the air conditioning(and keep driving)
I love this girl, without her I could not have got one this good at a giveaway price.
I researched engine bay size, and after months, convinced myself a 1UZ would fit, wasn't 100% sure,untill someone on a U.S.Porsche site told me "no problems, a guy in Sydney Australia had allready done one, and twin turboed it as well:laughing: "
(if anyone knows who owns this car and where it lives, please let me know)
Power plant was going to be 1UZ, but while looking for one with low K's stumbled over a 3UZ half cut with 5 speed auto.
Have ebayed the Porsche V8 ,(lots of bits not fried) Trans axle and torque tube.
The plan is to cut out the skinny tunnel to make room for the 5 speed.
Rear end will be Holden LSD IRS.
Porsche engine alone was heavier than 3UZ with auto.
Porshe transaxle weighed in at 285 pounds.
Completed, should have weight down to about 1350-1400Kg's
6 months of frustration, swearing, and lots of home brewed beer to relieve the tension is about to begin:fest30: !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21084918@N08/sets/72157619761146204/detail/

Nice, i nearly bought one myself a coupla years back for $6K...with the same intentions ;) Obviously failing electrics and a suspicion of rust scared me off. Sweet looking cars so your finished proj will be a beauty

The 928 will never rust. Porsche used galvanised steel in them.

I'd be inclined to fit the 3UZ but retain the torque tube and transaxle.

The transaxle is actually made by Mercedes-Benz who know how to build a good auto.

Additionally the rear suspension on a 928 has what's called Weisach (sp)geometry which improves the cars turn in without making it nervous.

I would be hessitant to do away with that.

Not sure it would engineer too easily if you put the Holden rear end in.

Chopping the floor will also get the Engineer thinking hard.

A lot of work for not a lot of gain.

The 928 will never rust. Porsche used galvanised steel in them.

I'd be inclined to fit the 3UZ but retain the torque tube and transaxle.

The transaxle is actually made by Mercedes-Benz who know how to build a good auto.

Additionally the rear suspension on a 928 has what's called Weisach (sp)geometry which improves the cars turn in without making it nervous.

I would be hessitant to do away with that.

Not sure it would engineer too easily if you put the Holden rear end in.

Chopping the floor will also get the Engineer thinking hard.

A lot of work for not a lot of gain.

Transaxle/auto (Wow,3 speed!)25 years old ,regardles of who built it , things have moved on a little bit in this time,(and I'm not interested in overhauling one of them) Great looking car, The idea is to drag it screaming into the 21st century,
I have been through it with engineer,(my 4th car with him and his associate)no dramas cutting out the tunnel, nothing major structual there.The strength is in the sills and roof.
The Weisach rear end remains, only the transaxle itself gone, Will be building a cradle for the diff, Holden (IRS) diff uses the same 6 bolt PCD for the half shafts so will probably be retaining the Porsche originals, worst case senario will be shortening one side and probably getting one made for the other.Will loose a bit of weight here.
The balance will not be upset too much, rough calculations indicate it will still be close to 50/50. Never going to see a track, doesn't matter.
Gain? A classic body, with 21st century(well close) drive train, All in, car, halfcut, engineering, labour,(I don't count this- It's therapy, I'm 62, need to keep the brain sparking.)will be on the road costing less than a new Hyundai Getz.
Wire nightmare will be entrusted to Sideshow who did a magic job on my last transplant.(This one will test him:haha: )
The car is being built as a tourer,last time I was on a track was in 1968,(attention deficit disorder-get bored fast)and drag racing???? WTF? put some corners in there,about half way, make it interesting.:sgrin:

JustenGT8,(wish I could get close to your fabricating skills)As well as a galvanised body, the front guards,bonnet, and door panels are alloy, if you see one with rust(usually starts in sills and under rear quarter windows) RUN AWAY, FAST! Probably been for a swim in the sea.
Will update progress as it happens,and put pictures on the link below.
I will probably be doing a lot of brain picking around here on the Toyota
bits.
First thing I think I got lucky with was the sump, the 3UZ had a mid sump,(pic on link) different from the earlier type, has a big cut-out in the front part of the pan to clear the steering rack,reduces it by about a third, I think it will fit behind the crosmember without mods.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21084918@N08/sets/72157619761146204/detail/

Yup, the rust was starting around the window seals. It had new paint job (a tad rough) so i suspect the paint was there to cover a few issues...maybe a poor accident repair in the past? Anyways, i deemed it too risky.

Love the idea though and the 928 is one of my fave shape cars

Car was an s4 with gembella kit the work was done by peter niven performance, south of sydney. As soon as i get time i'll scan the article and post it to rapidshare. featured in Zoom no. 94

Bump.... any updates? i have been thinking about doing this myself. I have 4 928's and one of them is my 5spd donor car that I am looking to swap. :D

I love these cars, but with the stock drive train, mods and up keep is expensive. The 5 spd is a 1980, never wrecked and straight as an arrow. Keep us updated (or at least me) Love to see how this comes out.

It was either a 1-3UZ or my extra RB26 GTR motor I have laying around.
Thanks
Ramon

Havnt been here for a Long time, , finally finished it, only took 5 years, bit longer then the 3-6 months originally planned.
Still sorting out minor problems , but runs /handles better than an original.
Wiring by sideshow, tunnel enlargement by Daniel, a panelbeating tech teacher I crossed paths with minutes before I was about to forget the whole thing and junk it.
If your welding skills are less than expert level, I would not attempt this swap.

Attachments

• DSC08603.JPG
    DSC08603.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC08609.JPG
    DSC08609.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 25
  • photo0213_001.jpg
    photo0213_001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 21