3S-GTE heads on 1UZ-FE?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

brock

I was just thinking about how people say the 1UZ heads could use much improvement and thought about how good the 3S-GTE heads are and was wondering if it could be done (for turbo application). Anyone looked into this at all? I haven't found any measurements yet, just a couple pictures. Aside from fitment, cams would be the next question. Anyway, here's a couple pics.

1UZ-FE:
passangerside_single_kit1.jpg

3S-GTE:
Head_2811_MOD.jpg

How are you going to account for the exhaust exiting towards the center of the engine (rather than towards the strut towers) on one of the heads?

Even if by some chance they fit, that right there would make it not feasible

So you're going to redrill the camshaft on the other end to receive a cam gear bolt? And reverse the head cylinder firing order?

I don't have any good pics of the 3s, but please post some pics to see how feasible it is to redrill the cam and have the cam gear/pin on the backside (stock) of the cam shaft

Here's a shot of the side where the cam gears bolt on:
head%20top%20side.JPG

Cams:

WebCam-2888.jpg

BTW, this is all just theoretical, I'm not in the position to actually set this up right now. Main reason I was thinking about this is because of how big you can make the intake on a 3S-GTE head. Here's a pic:
intake%20side.JPG

for get about it, the 3sgte head comes now where close to lining up with the 1uz, i have a 3s and a 1uz block the cylinder spacing is way way way way off, i mean like if you center the 3s head on the 1uz block the outer cylinders are something like a whole inch out of alignment center the 1st cylinder and the 4th is half way out.. I think it was the 1uz cylinder spacing is quite a bit longer then the 3s? i forgot but ether way there is no way it will happen.

Just use the 1UZ vvti heads! They are not nearly as "bad" as the non-vvti. If I recall correctly, a stock vvti head with flow as good as a full-tilt ported non-vvti head.

Other option I'm looking into is the CSRV Rotary Cylinder heads from Coates International. Very cool tech. And I'd never have to change my oil again, but I still would. http://www.coatesengine.com I've sent 'em an e-mail asking what it would cost. I'll post their response when I get one.

pic06.jpg

components.jpg

I've already spoken to them

They won't make a head for your vehicle, and they really have shied away from automotive stuff altogether and stuck to commercial stuff and generators and such

You need to let go of your desire to try and do something no one else has, and go the proven route, else your project will never get done

Other option I'm looking into is the CSRV Rotary Cylinder heads from Coates International. Very cool tech. And I'd never have to change my oil again, but I still would. http://www.coatesengine.com I've sent 'em an e-mail asking what it would cost. I'll post their response when I get one.

pic06.jpg

components.jpg

I know, I just like to explore other options on the road to completion. I'll most likely go the same route as everyone else in the end, but I'm always keeping my eyes open.

wouldn't that be nice.....

coates to desing a head for an engine that's no longer in production. they've been around for ages but I have never seen anyone use one of those. they're supposed to be very very good.
kinda costly to I think.

grtz Thomas

How about the 4AG head?

The 3SG head is larger in overall dimensions to the 4AG head...Both heads are a DOHC design with alot of flow potential...How about a 40Valve 1UZGE, Cool!

Just adding fuel to the fire...

Shawn

I did some research and a lot of honda engines have similar bores as the 1UZ, now we just have to check the cylinder spacing. I think it's very difficult to find retro-fit heads for the 1UZ. Anyone want to help with research? Bore is pretty important but the cylinder spacing is even more!

I remember hearing about Jun in japan doing a 1uz with some 20v 4age heads, so i guess the chambers lined up ok. There would still have been some big work involved in re-locating the cam gears though. A blacktop 20v head/intake is about as good as they get.

For the time/effort involved though, you would be better working the stock heads (even better if you start with vvti ones). A friend of mine modded some for massive flow gains. He had some trouble fitting the custom cams (enormous lobes - they even fouled on the plug tubes) but made it work, he used 3s valves, solid bucket cam followers - absolutely mental nitrous motor.

Last edited:
I did some research and a lot of honda engines have similar bores as the 1UZ, now we just have to check the cylinder spacing. I think it's very difficult to find retro-fit heads for the 1UZ. Anyone want to help with research? Bore is pretty important but the cylinder spacing is even
more!

I have done extensive modifications and work with Honda D and B series heads. Please let me know your needs. Very minor experience with K series, and almost 0 experience with H series due to their oddness and rarity.

D series is very common, it came in SOHC and DOHC in Japan. 75mm bore size. Almost all D series have interchangeability in block

B series is also common style head comes 81mm or 84mm Bore size. Mostly DOHC.

K series 86mm or 87mm bore size. These came in 2 very different set ups. 86mm variant is common, 87mm is not easy interchangeable with other K series engines as much as I know, most likely only came in automatic mission due to it's rarity.

H series 87mm bore size.I have never touched this engine due to it's incompatibility with all other Honda an lack of support.

I do not think there is any normal way to mount any of these head on 1UZ. For the most part Honda have free floating cylinders so the entire 4 cyl. sits in coolant. So the most part of the head is water jacket adaption, a couple oil paths, but the rest is reinforcement. A head adapter will have to be made to mate the 2 and combustion chamber shape will be completely deformed. D series heads have tons of space between valves, and between port and mating surface of head.

Keep in mind these are horizontally mounted FWD Inline 4. On D and B series engines the exhaust port is on the front of the car, intake on the back. On K series engines this was flipped over to have colder intake drawn through the front, and exhaust ports towards the back of the car.

That would mean the left bank exhaust would come out of intake on typical 1UZ set up with a D or B series engine head.

Last edited:
Jeez, just use the VVTi or 2UZ heads if you're that upset with the stock offering. Trying to find a wide angle head from another engine series is a fools folly.

Jeez, just use the VVTi or 2UZ heads if you're that upset with the stock offering. Trying to find a wide angle head from another engine series is a fools folly.

Yeah Justen, but it's still interesting to speculate if it could be done. Why take an easy, proven solution, when it's so much more fun to do it the hard way..... :)

We've had some guys over on another forum trying to recast or modify their SOHC heads to be DOHC for years now. Probably wildly impractical, but still interesting to discuss if you're bored.