2UZ Shim-Under to 1UZ Shim-Over

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GT40Surf

Hi gang,

Can anyone please help me out with my 2UZ. My 2UZ is totally stock but runs Injected LPG (yes I know now that I should never have fitted gas to it but I was young and silly) and the issue I'm having is the LPG is causing the valve clearances to close up and needs adjusting every 50k.

So my question is.. Can I convert the 2UZ Shim-Under Bucket design to the 1UZ Shim-Over Bucket design? I've done some searches and see some people are converting the 1UZ to solid design and even some doing shim under but I can't find a definitive answer and even what they've done to convert. I'm hoping to find out if things like the valve springs, retainers, etc are all the same or do I need to swap things over?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Paul

Paul, shouldn't be hard to do at all. The early 1UZ's all ran shims on top of the buckets, and I would think you could pick up a set of those fairly cheaply.

Tell us about your gas setup; I've always had an interest in gas fueled cars. Is yours a Prins setup or ????

Any issues with the vaporisers in the winter?

Hi cribbj,

Sorry for the late reply, forgot to come back and check my post. So you think the 1UZ buckets will fit in the same spot? And would I need to change anything else (i.e. spring retainers, collets, etc) over to match the shim over buckets?

The gas system was installed by Gaspower Australia and not sure what the kit is but it does have some Italian name on the ECU. No issues with it other than this valve recession issue. No icing issue as the system doesn't switch over to LPG until the engine has got to about 45° water temp. I'm quite happy with it but wished I'd used a flashlube product from day one.

I just recently had the heads reconditioned but was never 100% happy with the reconditioning work, as it made loud tapping sounds once it was back together and now the engine failed altogether, so if anyone knows where I can get a running engine or one to suit rebuilding, then I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Paul