1uzfe vs VH45DE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

PaulfromPA

Looking for some info on 1UZ vs. VH45DE

Oh by the way, hello my name is Paul and I'm from Lancaster, PA. I'm just dreaming of the next project car and I'm pretty sure I want to do something with the 1uz or VH45, so any info is helpful. Thanks.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
By choice I would go 1UZ on the basis they are cheaper to buy and there's a better parts supply line in place as more 1UZ's have been built.

Attachments

• STIRLING.jpg
    STIRLING.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 322
i'd pick the 1UZ for it's superior top end.

scissor gears and non-interference heads make for a true "peace of mind" performer - retarded cams et al.

and they're narrower so they fit in more engine bays. :)

As I stated in the other thread;
Comparing FACTORY setups, the VH4x series have better upper ends.
However, the bottom end isnt strong.

Being that a top end is somewhat cheaper to upgrade, the UZ provides a better base for performance.

I'm a Toyota fan really, but I think the Nissan VH45 has a leg up on the 1UZ.

My good friend just destroyed the production car land speed record set by the Nissan Factory Team in a 300ZX (226 mph). He has been flown all over the Western hemisphere tuning Z cars. Certainly an authority. We've spent hours examining the differences between the Q and the 1UZ

The bottom end in the Q45 is 6 bolt like the 1UZ, but the main studs make the 1UZ studs look like tooth picks. It looks like something you would find in a 6-bolt Donavan, Brad Anderson, or some T/F engine. Of course, this is to accomdiate the over-built reciprocating assembly. The crank is forged, as are the rods, and you can clearly see the forging marks, (unlike ours). But, the pistons are considerably heavier, which explains the reason for the beefy bottom end. If I remember correctly the Q's were 30-50 grams heavier. They have a full skirt unlike the T shapes my 1UZ had.

BTW, if you weren't concerned about the weight we could easily use the Q rods.

The heads have a really wide valve angle. You can only see the tops of the valves looking down in the intake ports because they're canted out so much. The cams are independently adjustable (I really don't find this feature that compelling). The valves on the VH41 are titanium. The heads flow good aparently, but have the casting features to be pushed further than the 1UZ.

I'm not down with the cam followers (like on the other Nissans) and this was a little bit of a disappointment for my friend as well. He thought the shim and bucket was far superior until high lift cams were used. Then the casting around the bucket possibly becomes an obstruction.

With all of this said. How come the Q hasn't caught on yet? The 1UZ has already been in the 6's at over 200mph. Where's Nissan? (Insert cricket chirping noises here). Did you look at the engine homologation for the Grand Am series?The advantage was certainly given to Nissan, not even a question.

By all means the Q45 should be the engine of choice when using conventional means. I think the 1UZ is one of those engines whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts and I'd still rather have the UZ.

Attachments

• A341E Pre-disassembly.JPG
    A341E Pre-disassembly.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 103
  • A341 Push off bolts.JPG
    A341 Push off bolts.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Droppin the oil.JPG
    Droppin the oil.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Valve Body with strainer1.JPG
    Valve Body with strainer1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 85
Well said..... So, 1UZ does have its own natural enemy or rival. Many 1UZ owners complaint about lack of performance parts support, but Q45 is worst.

Great info.... Looks like the Q45 engine is very nice. Performance wise have a lot potential. Comparing the two engines, the 1uzfe will be much easier to swap.

VH45: 710 + 800 +640 = 2150 cm
1UZFE: 660 + 700 + 710 = 2070 cm

gees... that nissan engine looks pretty damn sweet..

anyone know if its easy to hook a manual gear box upto them

There is an individual with a vh45dett powered z32 300zx that is producing adaptor plates for around $500 to mate the Vh45 engine to the z32 tt manual transmission. I'm almost positive that you can use the z32 flywheel also, so that simplifies clutch choices instead of trying to mix and match. Here is the thread at hybridz:

and here is a video of the V8tt z32:

Here is a nice little picture I found... I photochopped the disassembled layout into a single picture and made it my desktop mmmmmmmmmm.

Flea... please forgive me, but could you possibly go more into why you would choose the 1uz over the Vh series? You seem to know the most out of anyone I've listened to and your choice of the 1uz carries a lot of weight. Is there one engine that would be better NA and one better with forced induction? Of course if you need a lighter and smaller engine the 1uz wins, but with enough space for both and the weight making marginal difference in handling, what would make you choose the 1uz?? From what I understand it would be the better aftermarket support and smaller engine size and weight?I suppose what I'm really asking is which has more potential (stronger engine to begin with) with custom made components? Any links to your friend accomplishments... sounds tasty. Thankyou ahead of time for any additional info:).

Oh also.... I did find pistons....has them under products, pistons, scroll down to the bottom. Still, the lack of competition causes them to be very expensive. I believe they are what the V8 Z32 owner used.

From what I've heard, more radical profile camshafts would have to be custom ground as no-one makes them.

PaulfromPA said:
I'm just dreaming of the next project car and I'm pretty sure I want to do something with the 1uz or VH45, so any info is helpful.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

One thing that has not been mentioned, is that the vh45de has a variable valve timing system.

I also would like to hear more from the Flea about his choice of the 1uz over the Vh45. His site is very informative, and his project badass!

Q45.org - The Infiniti Q45 Resource

I have seen q45s alot cheaper than ls400s and sc400s. I have seen 3 q45s with auto tranny problems, 130k-200k mi, for less than $1000.

Zuffen said:
Have a close look at the valve gear in the photo.

Does that motor run rockers between the cams and valves?
Looks like it, and I would assume those things next to them would be hydraulic lash adjusters.

I don't see the lower intake manifold in that picture. The LIM has 2 ports for every intake port. It would probably be more difficult to fabricate an intake manifold using the stock lower as others have done with the 1UZ.

This is a site which highlights the features of the VK45DE (basically a newer version of the VH45DE) and compares it to Nissan's IRL engine. Check that one out... 10,700 rpm rev limit!

In my opinion, the VH45DE is a great engine, with many features superior to those of the 1UZ, but there are several drawbacks. The engine seems more complicated, more expensive, and there is definitely a greater lack of aftermarket support. Add in the fact that it's bigger and heavier, AND that the 1UZ is already a great engine to begin with, and my choice is clear: 1UZ.

rarson said:
I don't see the lower intake manifold in that picture. The LIM has 2 ports for every intake port. It would probably be more difficult to fabricate an intake manifold using the stock lower as others have done with the 1UZ.
You see it just above the upper intake manifold, and to the left as well.
Its 8 seperate pieces.