1uz swap, bad ecu?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

chukarhunt

Good day all!

I recently acquired a 1uz that I want to swap in to my 1992 Toyota Pickup, and I had a question about the ecu.

I have Nigel Wades book on how to wire up the engine, and it says to verify the ecu is working by hooking up the pin that goes to BATT to 12volt+, then use an earth light on pin W. If it lights up, ecu is good.

Well the light turns on, but when I cross TE1 and E1 to run diagnostic codes, it does not flash, just stays solid.

The engine is on a test stand, and the guy before me supposedly wired it up according to this book, and so far it looks correct, but, when I go to fire the engine, the ecu loses all power. I use jumper cables to hook the starter wire to positive and then ground on the engine to negative on the battery.

When I remove the jumper cables, the ecu gains power again. Do I have a short somewhere, or did I fry my ecu?

I appreciate any help. I will post some pics and go in to some more details on the wiring and whatnot when I am on my computer.

Thanks for the tip. I just verified that E1 goes to ground on the block, and it has continuity. I tried jumping TE1 and E1 again and still no blinking light.

What I dont understand is, so the ecu has power when I hook it up to the battery, at least pin W lights up. When I hook the jumper cables up to the battery, the light at W turns off. If I disconnect one of the jumper cables, the light turns back on.

There is a local junkyard that hopefully has an ecu. I am not sure what else I need to do/check? Thanks for any help.