1UZ into 92 LWB Hiace

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

teedo

Well thought I'd use Lextreme to help log the progress on my project and any problems I've come across like alot of others have done on here.
I've wanted to do the conversion for a while now after reading the threads by Gloverman and Jay311 found on this site aswell as the thought of a van with a 1UZ just seems amazing!

Started off by ripping the fire damaged 2RZ out of the van and clearing out the engine bay abit, was pretty straight forward so got it done pretty fast.

First problem we ran into was the sump position as I purchased a 91 Celsior front sump engine all Hiace's are rear so I found out. I rung/asked around about any ways around this and the general feedback was get a rear sump motor / lower casing assembly. This would have made things a load easier but we were pretty keen to adapt the crossmember to seat a front sump much like the Jap ambulances came out like. After about 18 hours in the workshop we ended up with the finished product that looks pretty factory, nice! Tie rod mounts are in the right place, as with location holes for the chasis. Test fitting to the motor on the engine stand went well with a decent amount of sump clearance as with chasis, everything lined up...things are looking promising:)
van_1.jpg

crossmember_1.jpg

crossmember_2.jpg

How much room and clearance do you have? I have a 2nd gen Toyota Van (Previa we call it here) I would be interested in the clearance of the engine.

By clearance I take it you mean when the engine is located in the engine bay? Well finally got the engine in today (I'll post a log with pics soon) and its a very very snug fit, if you can see in the pic changing plugs may be a hassle at the rear and the exhaust headers that came with it will need to be replaced that aside it looks really good in there.
Really gutted we had to cut approx 15mm from the rear of the engine bay, but thats what you get when you drop it in from the top, if we had the equipment to do it from underneath we would have oh well not hard to patch up.....

engine_1.jpg

Lex the previa / terago / lucida / estima are completly different with their motor laying over on their side. They have a very short engine bay. I have supplied mounts for 6 hiace last year and another 6 this year around NZ with several complete bolt in engine kits included in that total. The factory ambalance have a wider chassis as we have worked on them as well. They have a mixed set of 1uz parts on them , front sump , soarer remote type power steer and their own cast exhast manifolds. Motor is moved back into the load compartment. Good luck with your conversion

Cheers

They have a mixed set of 1uz parts on them , front sump , soarer remote type power steer and their own cast exhast manifolds. Cheers

Strange you that mention this. My friend Stevechumo got a JDM engine from a local importer and it is front sump with SC400 hydraulic fan pump. The Previa engine is lay on its side...

Attachments

• 1998-00_Lexus.jpg
    1998-00_Lexus.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 780
First off Merry Xmas to you all! Finally got abit of time to sit down and log the latest with the van. In my last post I mentioned we had successfully got it in, yes it took ages trying to get it right as there was constantly things getting in the way. Never the less its in now.....
The cross member we modified has worked a treat and couldn't be happier with how the engine sits in between the x-member and steering rack, I'd say the only problem now is the oil filter as the x-member cuts in front of the fitting by approx 10mm. I really don't want to modify the x-member again so at the moment I'm looking towards a remote setup of some sort??
I've also decided against hooking up the A/C as the Hiace never had it to start with plus living in Christchurch any day thats stinking hot is a good day and would rather have the windows down, anyways removed the compressor and now thinking of removing the hydralic fan pump / pully ( after seeing an older post by Gloverman on the subject). Are there any step by step guides to removing the pump and the bits that go with it on this forum?? I've had a browse around and think I've got the just of it but just want to be sure? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
Next plan of attack is to get a fuel pump , thinking of an external VL / VN Commodore pump? Aswell as getting the van plumed up and off to the auto sparky... pretty keen to try her up before I have to start back at work..

sump_1.jpg

engine_2.jpg

Removal of the hydralic pump is easy - read the thread and you will be fine. I have an oil filter block to replace the stock one which works a treat on hiace. I have one left in stock and much neater than a remote setup. For the fuel pump we prefer to find an injected hiace tank and swap that in. Externals can be a pain and it's very little extra effort to swap the tank , just an idea. Cheers

Thanks for the info Kelvin, I'll defiantly keep the EFI tank idea in mind. I got round to removing the fan pump assembly, all good, then test fitted the new belt and notice that it makes contact with the face of where the fan assembly was removed?. I should mention the fan pump from my engine is a vane type pump with 4 bolts holding the assembly together.

Later hydralic pumps are a pain like that. A quick grind will sort it. We sometimes use the late ones as idlers as they run bearings where the early ones use a oiled bush. I quoted another conversion setup today for a customer. I hope to do another for myself next year. Cheers

Ive been shocking over the last few months with the swap, cash flow issues, moving units and it gooooeeessss on haha. Last week myself and a mate spent went hard out sorting out the wiring, fuel pump , borrowed some headers and other bits off another 1uz he had lying around and hoped to get the engine started up. After numerous attempts and dumb mistakes we got it sorted ,here's a video of the 2nd start http://vimeo.com/4810034 . Super stoked!

what did u do with the drivers seat
last time i did a 1uz in a hiace we had to rais eseat about 5cm
even then engine sump sat close to the ground
i tried to talk custoemr into going sr20t but he didnt want to
anyway million dollars later hehhehe
had to make sump guard incase he hit something
raise seat to clear air flow meter
fit crown headers as they miss the torsion bars by mm's
then we had fuel pump issues when they started cavitating

just proves these vans are not conversion friendly

Hey Sideshow, when I first started this project I thought I may run into those same issues so far what Ive done is modify the intake manifold by cutting off the throttle body mount , angling it down around 5 degrees or so (i'll post some pics in the next few days) and welding it up again. This helped out a fair bit as the throttle body now points down towards the original air intake box where Im planning to mount the AFM and POD filter. I haven't fitted the seats yet but am guessing by the look of it some slight pannel beating will be needed in some area but not enough for me to think about raising them ,at least not at this stage that is...

With the sump I think I'll also have to make up a guard for it as although it sits flush with the crossmember the van is lowered and will probibly get hit at some stage.:boggled:

Ive been really bad with updating this, the project is moving ahead slowly but it is moving on which is the main thing! :biggthumpup:

So here is where I'm at with the van..... Since I've started the engine up now I know I'm on the right track which is a plus. Next step is new power steer lines, decent radiator fan and the drive line needs to be sorted.. I'm also going to be changing the lines to the remote oil filter as the ones that came with the kit... well I just don't trust them,they seem flimsy as hell. Braided ones will be on the agenda.. The filter has been moved further up on the chassis since this pic.

remote.jpg

Next was to sort out the Flywheel, after abit of looking around we discovered a small engineering shop behind the airport that makes a range of flywheels, two different versions for the 1UZ being 10" and to suit a Holden clutch and a 9 1/2". I went for the 9 1/2" and it only cost nz$300 so was stoked on that find. It didn't come with a ring gear but that was ok as I had one off the engine anyways, my mate helped out by fitting and tig welding the ring gear onto the flywheel.
flywheel.jpg

Since the Hiace isn't on the road yet and things are going slowly I'm going to use some of the time to tidy up the panel work and give it a respray, well that's the plan anyway :D Ah and Sideshow ,here are some pics of how the engine sits in the bay at the moment and a shot of the modification done to the intake manifold.

engine.jpg
engine_flat.jpg

tb_1.jpg

tb_1.jpg

Hi folks, long time viewer, first time poster. Have been wanting to repower my Hiace and was lucky enough to come across this forum some time ago. Now have a good condition 1UZ in the garage, ready to go!

Teedo, I've been following your conversion too. Nice to see it coming along! I tried sending you a PM and an email, didn't work - never mind. Was going to ask you about the crossmember and how you modified it? (pic links don't work). I bought my 1UZ with front sump, on the assumption a rear sump wouldn't be hard to find - think I got that one wrong! Looking for other options.

I'm new to all this -- I'm hardly a mechanic, but gotta start somewhere I figure. And while I'm trying mostly to learn by reading forums, manuals and by osmosis, any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

Wow its been awhile..... just noticed a heap of pics I posted originally are no longer here so up they go again.....
van_1.jpg

crossmember_1.jpg

engine_flash.jpg

van1.jpg

van5.jpg

Ok so here is where I'm at with the 1uz Hiace van.....
Original plan was to drop the engine in , get it running and that was that. Well as projects go that has changed...

• manual conversion, tick.
  • panel and paint in HOK Galaxy Grey (getting done at the moment)
  • full marine carpet interior
  • KW recliner bucket seats , tick (still need fitting tho)
  • New bumpers
This is all good and well but I kinda wanted to take it further so picked up this wee gem from the states, traction issues anyone??

scm90.jpg

Because I looovvee the 1uz so much picked up this Celsior on the weekend.. Not a fan of the wheels but hey it was a good price:D
celsior.jpg

hi!!

am on a learning curve, and hence have many question, some silly ones!!

have sent ''teedo'' a PM

however would like to know how many more people on here that have gone with a manual gearbox are using similar adapter plates
the type between the bellhousing and the gearbox!!

was just wondering how it aligns!!

van4.jpg

all help advice and comments will be appreciated
as these types of adapter plates will be available locally this week!!

thanx!!:D