1uz in to Rocsta 4x4

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fuddymucker

Hi Guys

Here is my already modded Asia Rocsta as it looked a month ago
4.jpg

I have already upgraded its engine once to a 2L Mazda 626 engine
This was fine until its extra power started to wear out the gearbox and axles
It also didn't help that I am running 35" tyres

So now I need to upgrade the Gearbox, Transfer and Axles to something Toyota Strong
So I thought I may as well put a bigger better heart in at the same time

So far I have got my donor car, a Lexus LS400 with the lovely 1UZ-FE engine
IMG_20101103_113155-1.jpg

Removed the Rocstas body from its chassis
IMAG0493.jpg
IMAG0494.jpg
IMG_20110323_094241.jpg

Offered up the Lexus engine to the chassis
IMG_20110323_162432.jpg
IMG_20110323_162411.jpg

Then rebuilt the engine from the Crank up
Re-honing the cylinders as I went
IMG_20110328_155254-2.jpg
IMG_20110330_174407.jpg

Also need to swap the front LS400 sump for a Soarer Rear sump, anyone know for one?

Last edited:
The engine rebuild went well

heads rebuilt, god it takes some time when you have 32 valves to remove, clean, grind, polish, seat and replace the seals

IMG_20110327_201430.jpg
IMG_20110331_224845.jpg
IMG_20110331_232558.jpg
IMG_20110401_003536.jpg
IMG_20110402_141422.jpg
IMG_20110402_173620.jpg
IMG_20110402_182122.jpg
IMG_20110402_193751.jpg

Because the engine has been completely pulled apart and banged back together, I wanted to check that she would still run well before mounting the engine and gearbox in to the chassis.

To do this I made a state of the art test rig

:eek: or as some may say, a proped up engine stand and an old Black and Decker workmate :eek:

IMG_20110414_145957.jpg
IMG_20110414_145835.jpg

Now that the engine is 100% safe :D I cobbled up a set of HT leads and Edis coil packs to the MegaSquirt ECU and laptop

IMG_20110414_150138.jpg

and stood well back​

Now the engine is re-connected to the Lexus auto-box and has a Hilux Surf transfer-box attached to that, looking quite long now...

IMG_20110418_180232.jpg

Because of my new long drive train and my very short wheel base the drive train needs to be as far forward as possible to give my rear prop as much lenth as possible
To be sure it is going in the correct place I borrowed the front half of my wifes Rocsta (shh don't tell her ;) )

IMG_20110418_182219.jpg

IMG_20110419_113239.jpg

IMG_20110419_113309.jpg

Now by placing the front of her Rocsta on to my chassis it gives a better idea if this project will work or not

IMG_20110418_212103.jpg

and in with the drive train

IMG_20110419_113207.jpg

SWEET

IMG_20110419_113141.jpg

So far so good, in the photo above you can just make out the rear diff flange in the bottom right corner, the prop length looks reasonable now
However to get this length does mean I will need to move the radiator to the back, which in turn means she will turn in to a pickup
Getting more and more like a Hilux every day​

I am still after a rear sump unit but am now also in need of a remote oil filter kit as the engine won't center because the filter is hitting the chassis...
Any Ideas?

there's two different oil filter necks that are available, and lextreme sells a flange to make a remote oil filter kit.

btw, that rocksta thing looks like some kind of jeep clone. what are they exactly?

there's two different oil filter necks that are available, and lextreme sells a flange to make a remote oil filter kit.

btw, that rocksta thing looks like some kind of jeep clone. what are they exactly?

Yes good question,

The Asia Rocsta is Four wheel drive vehicle from Asia Motors Corporation in Korea.
The Rocsta is derived from the Korean army's 4WD vehicle. Because this model was cheaper than other competitive 4WD vehicles, it contributed to the increase in popularity of offroad racing in Korea however it was very under powered and the engines were unreliable, the petrol engine needed the head gasket replaced ever 12000 miles.
So why am I bothering to got to this effort with such a sh*t truck?
Just because it hasn't been done before :) and I like a challange​

Yes good question,

The Asia Rocsta is Four wheel drive vehicle from Asia Motors Corporation in Korea.
The Rocsta is derived from the Korean army's 4WD vehicle. Because this model was cheaper than other competitive 4WD vehicles, it contributed to the increase in popularity of offroad racing in Korea however it was very under powered and the engines were unreliable, the petrol engine needed the head gasket replaced ever 12000 miles.
So why am I bothering to got to this effort with such a sh*t truck?
Just because it hasn't been done before :) and I like a challange​

Looking at it I think that it's a Korean copy of a Zook (with a different front, the doors and original engine give it away). Suzuki SJ413, Jimny or Sierra depending on your country.

Rover V8s used to be popular in them in NZ back in the day along with Toyota 4K, 4AGE and anything else you could shove in the hole. With a 1UZ in there I'd think that even with a standard ECU you'd just be strapping the thing on and hanging on for dear life. Either that or it's going to take a very long time to not only clean your underpants but also get the stupid grin off your face

Hey there.

Hi Mr. Mucker :) Interesting project that, should be a fair bit of fun when she's finished. Like the look of the rebuilt enginge :cool:
I'm currently fitting a 1uz into my LandRover 90 and taking advantage of our great weather while it lasts. I notice you've got the same transfer box fitted as me, how are you intending to wire it up to give you 4wd? I'm a bit stumped with that bit at the mo. :confused:
What part of the country are you from?
Lee.

Hi Mr. Mucker :) Interesting project that, should be a fair bit of fun when she's finished. Like the look of the rebuilt enginge :cool:
I'm currently fitting a 1uz into my LandRover 90 and taking advantage of our great weather while it lasts. I notice you've got the same transfer box fitted as me, how are you intending to wire it up to give you 4wd? I'm a bit stumped with that bit at the mo. :confused:
What part of the country are you from?
Lee.

I am also new to this and am just taking 1 job at a time but the way I am hoping to control the transfer unit is by using the surf auto ecu to control 4x4 motor on the transfer box, the lexus ecu to control the auto box and the megasquirt running the engine (already working).

If for any reason I cant get the lexus ecu to run the autobox then I will be looking to use a second Megasquirt unit running MegaShift Transmission Controller which will also give me extra outputs that I hope will control the transfer motor..
Sorry I cant be more help but until I get it working myself I can advise you :D

O yes I forgot to mention I am down in Somerset near Cheddar​

I wire up the transfer motors in a very simple way. I have two different ways , one is primative with the potential to blow the motor up. The other way uses the safety switch on the motor and is more user friendly. Cheers

I wire up the transfer motors in a very simple way. I have two different ways , one is primative with the potential to blow the motor up. The other way uses the safety switch on the motor and is more user friendly. Cheers

I would love to know both ways of wiring them up if you don't mind giving up your secrets, do you have a wiring diagram :)

That could be the reason the factory ECU isn't working on controlling the box. The factory ECU will still need at least Crank/cam sensors , EFI temp , TPS , gearbox input speed and output shaft speed and gearbox solenoids connected to control the box. If the engine speed is incorrect its likely it wont work. I beleive you can get a megasquirt module to control the box. Or get a signal modifier and drop the crank signal back to the correct one and feed the ECT that. Cheers

Any chance of sharing your knowlege?
I had thought about getting hold of a transfer box ecu but after consulting the wiring diagram I noticed that it picks up on one of the speed sensors. I'm pretty sure it's the one I've modified to use the Lexus transducer and thus would give a bad reading to the ecu. I recall seeing somewhere last year a post on wiring it all up using 6 relays but can't find anything on it now. :confused:

Surf 4wd control system has nothing to do with the engine management except on the V6 auto models which run what is called an "Integrated transfer case" all the diesel ones are "stand alone" and share only one input from the engine management system which is the vehicle speed sensor. All that I do in terms of wiring when putting the transfer box onto the back of the 1UZs auto is to strip the 4wd wiring from the Surf loom and add it to the 1UZ loom to keep things tidy. There is nothing that connects to the ECU except for the VSS wire. Wiring diagram shown and all the speed sensor does is to prevent shifting into 4wd above 80 KP/H

Attachments

• 4wd0.jpg
    4wd0.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 15
Surf 4wd control system has nothing to do with the engine management except on the V6 auto models which run what is called an "Integrated transfer case" all the diesel ones are "stand alone" and share only one input from the engine management system which is the vehicle speed sensor. All that I do in terms of wiring when putting the transfer box onto the back of the 1UZs auto is to strip the 4wd wiring from the Surf loom and add it to the 1UZ loom to keep things tidy. There is nothing that connects to the ECU except for the VSS wire. Wiring diagram shown and all the speed sensor does is to prevent shifting into 4wd above 80 KP/H

Thanks for the diagram SamsDad, So is it just a solenoid in the transfer box that engages the 4wd?
Also out of interest how do you control the Lexus autobox in your conversions?
Thanks