1uz-fe engine into 92 2wd hilux advice

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cam_tec

Hi, this is my first post on this site!!
Just starting the v8 conversion into 91 model hilux and b4 I start i was wondering if any1 here can give me some pointers or things to look out for or advice on what needs to be modded or moved

Hey Cam Tec,

I've done a couple of these now and this is what i know works, start with a front sump 1UZ-fe(or get a rear sump 1UZ-fe and swap the sump to front sump). You will need the rear sump headers or the infamous "logs". The rear sump oil filter mount works fine and same with the centre sump "remote mount" filter.

You can run either a standard hilux G55 5speed or a W5* supra box both have the same bolt up pattern and they have adaptors readily available for them. They will handle the hp fine. There is a bit of fiddling setting up the clutch etc but nothing too hard out, just make sure you use a good long thrust bearing.

You can run the standard V8 ECU but this requires some of sideshows expertise, or I tend to run with an aftermarket ECU like microtec or Link.

Brakes in the hilux are fine, mine stop on a dime and they are totally standard.

With the fuel system you can either run a lift pump to a surge tank then a big pump to the engine or use the 2.7efi petrol hilux fuel tank with the intank pump.

I got rid of my diesle instrument cluster and ran a petrol hilux tacho and speedo.

Mounts are easily fabricated, you can either go from the V8 block to the standard Hilux mount positions or use the soarer(sc400) mounts onto brackets on the chassis. either way works fine.

If yours is petrol to start with you may have issues with the sway bar set up but you can modify the bellhousing to suit with out too many hassles.

The steering rack is always close too your exhaust, i found it easy to space the steering rack out with a 10mm spacer plateand then i place a heat sheild around the rubber dampner.

You will have to run aftermarket thermo fans. i had 2 10'' davis craig fans cooling my standard deisel hilux radiator. I just mirrored the bottom tank outlet to suit the V8 hose position.

Drive shaft will most likely need to be altered to suit.

I probably have missed some stuff off but you get a good idea what it involves from that.

Philip

reply to lowboy

Hey man thats some really good info. Thats interesting about the 10mm spacers. Ill just run a lift pump to a surge tank and high press pump to the rail.
So where do u change the length of the tailshaft (cut the existing weld???)
I think for the engine mounts ill make bracket mounts back to the existing chassis mounts.

Front sumps the go hey (thanks)
Did u run standard ecu. Im gonna run microtech so hopefully change to map sensor which comes with the computer, so what exhaust manifolds did you use

Thx heaps

you can buy engine mounts from CRS that will bolt straight to your hilux chassis. You won't be able to do your tail shaft yourself. You will need to get the motor and box in, then take some measurements the your tailshaft repairer will need, he will then make it to suit and balance it for you.

I run with the New Zealand brand Link ECU's which are a map sensor set up.

I hear Castlemain Rod Shop do mounts but hey mine cost like $5.00 to make and that way i got things where i wanted them, you will also have to modify your gearbox X member but once again it depends how you do it.

You usually have to lengthen the front part of your drive shaft by roughly 50mm, so they just cut the old piece out and balance and weld in a new section.

I used the SC400 headers, they may not be the best looking but they are better than logs.

Good Luck with the conversion and i swear you wont regret it.. On a crap tune i pulled a 14.8 quarter and that wasnt really launching or abusing it between gears.

Philip

thanks mate. I guess ill get the donk sitting in there and have a bit of a look (engine mounts cant be any harder than turbo manifolds to make) Ill use a microtech because we already have the software and cable and they eliminate the need for an afm and igniter

i personally prefer stock ecu unless going turbo or something out of the peramiters of the stock ecu.

Reason i like stock is because Toyota put hundreds of hours into perfecting the tune and functions of the ecu. The car will be much smoother and generally nicer to drive.

Hey guys my 1st post also rather than starting a new thread thought I'd just add into this one.

I'm looking at putting a 1uz-fe into a 98-04 model lux single cab in the near future. Anybody know if the w58 supra box will fit in the tunnel and does it bolt up to the 1uz-fe or do I need a bellhousing to suit.

If u have any pics of this conversion already done can u please post em up. I just want to check how much clearance there is engine bay as i plan to bag my truck.

Thanks Colin

Lexustech,

CRS and Dellow make bellhousings for this swap.

Have a look in the drivetrain section as there are numerous articles to go by.

Try searching the site for information as there is an amazing amount just waiting to be read.

Hey lextech, yup w58 will go into that model lux, if i remember correctly they came with and R156 in some models which isnt a bad box to stick with. You will have to adapt the auto bellhousing to both boxes and do the clutch set up, this is never a bolt up job.

yes the factory computer works but you jump into a converted car running 1st the factory ecu then drive the aftermarket on a decent tune and you can feel the difference. i say after market cause its a tidier install and a lot less mucking around.

hehe yeah muzza i was on the cartune pc and didnt see i was under kalvins login...I just completed the full SSR-X toyota surf front conversion on my lux. insurance fell short about $4000 so the motorcross bike is going to fund the rest of the conversion. Gonna run the Link G2 ECU this time so i have the dual map...

Philip

1uz conversion

http://spw.starkie.net/spwhome.htm this is the site for the best? sparkie if you need help with the 1UZ into Hilux. He uses a Hilux as his workshop and has fitted the 1UZ. I found the services of Mark at Trik Fit at Chipping Norton to be very good. Trik Fit have recently fitted my 60 series L/C with the 1UZ. They have fitted 1uz to other vehicles including Hilux, Supra, and a Hiace.
The L/C used a Dellow bellhousing and standard exhaust manifolds. Trik Fit made the mountings exhaust etc.
Best luck with your project.

Gday guys this is my first post Im brendo and drive a 1988 yn58r hilux
4x2 2.2l p with 475000kms on it.I just done a headgasket on it and
am replacing it with a 1uz-fe motor. Ive been reading the posts
and the tips and i will try to do as much as i can
Cheers brendo

Attachments

• piston 1.jpg
    piston 1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
  • piston 2.jpg
    piston 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 32
For my headers i cut off the original pipe off the header flanges and welded in a 2.5 inch piece of exhaust tube. it seems to improve the flow and is really a cheap way of doing it

Hey everyone, first post.
I completed a 1uz conversion into my rn90 hilux last year. awesome conversion and very happy with except for my diff ratio, 4.11's ain't good for the highway. I used the CRS mounts and sump, dellow bellhousing and ran a Microtech ecu. Made 170kw at the wheels in brisbane but getting it retuned as i think the mob that tuned it didn't do a great job. i did all the hard work myself so if there are any questions, they are welcome.