Search results

1. EyesofThunder

2UZ-FE Oil Cooler on 1UZ/3UZ-FE?

Long term, sadly my Lexus GS400 was back into by a semi. So she was retired at 328k miles. I never got to do the final oil analysis. I was over 27k on Amsoil Signature Series 5W30. The previous oil was Amsoil HDD, was in the car for 18 months and 27500 miles. Oil Analysis showed serviceable...
  2. EyesofThunder

Followup, still haven't installed cooler yet, lost the flow regulator bolt (that holds it on the engine), but at 318k miles now. Runs awesome, still running 25k+ oil changes. No one seems to agree that long drains work, but oil analysis has shown it is good on my engine in my conditions. I...
  3. EyesofThunder

Difference ECUs 89661-50241 and 89661-50240

What happened to your ECU's? I fix GM ECM/PCM's, I could take a crack at it if they are sitting collecting dust.
  4. EyesofThunder

I have been averaging 25000-30000 miles per oil change using Amsoil and doing oil analysis the oil is still in good shape at 25k, at 30k it is at a point where I change it, I shoot for 25k, but 30k is my outside limit. I'm at 268k miles now, runs awesome, Oil Analysis shows no abnormal wear...
  5. EyesofThunder

Starter Motor R&R daunting task !! LS400

I just did mine this weekend. Not NEAR as bad as everyone says, at least on a VVTi engine. The only issues I have is the rear water crossover, the pipe came loose and is leaking. I removed it and pounded it back in, still leaked. My friend at Lexus dealer said to remove, sand it down and...
  6. EyesofThunder

Help with injector cc/min : 1uz vvti Denso 23250-50030

Are there any replacement injectors for the VVTi 1UZ-FE? Or is there a way to use std injectors on a VVTi 1UZ-FE? It appears from this thread the 1UZ-FE and 3UZ-FE (both VVTi) use the same injector. Does the 2UZ-FE? I can't really take my car off the road to clean the injectors (my...
  7. EyesofThunder

Time for a fuel pump

My fuel pump went on the fritz when it got hot the last time (91F in very heavy rush hour Chicago traffic in a construction zone with no shoulders) and with 247k miles on the stock pump, I want to replace it before I have a worse issue. What would you recommend? Car is stock 98 GS400 VVTi.
  8. EyesofThunder

I have a 98 GS with a 1UZ-FE VVTi and I was thinking of adding the 2UZ Tundra oil cooler to do a couple things: 1. Warm cold oil. I am up north, so we have some pretty darn cold days here, and I start it up and head to 55-65 mph pretty quickly. 2. Ensure hot oil temps are controlled to...
  9. EyesofThunder

Acetone .....

REALLY old thread, but yes I tried it, and for 10k miles, zero improvement or detriment in fuel economy. Don't waste the effort or $. It did nothing.
  10. EyesofThunder

Whats the difference between GS400 and LS400 engines and Ecu?

According to my friend at Lexus, he said he is pretty sure the LS400 and GS400 engines (VVTi) are identical PN, the only diff is the air cleaner, ECU tune and exhaust. He feels it is the silent exhaust in the LS that lost the 10 hp.
  11. EyesofThunder

Wanted WTB: 90's LS400

Looking for a decent shape LS400 for my son, (he is paying). A decent driver car, not a perfect shape cream puff. PM me. We are 90 miles west of Chicago. Will travel reasonable distance if the deal is worth it.
  12. EyesofThunder

A340 Tiptronic Control, PWM Solenoids?

Did you ever get any mods to the controller to reduce the heat? Been thinking of this to do to my GS400 (98) to give it full manual control when desired.
  13. EyesofThunder

LS400 single turbo project

Always be cautious with thick head gaskets, they do lower compression but it also messes up the quench on the heads/piston, which can invite knock problems. What do you have lined for for fueling? Boosted engines need additional fuel pressure at the injector tip and larger injectors. If the...
  14. EyesofThunder

Supercharging - M90

Buick installed the M90 on the 3.8L Buick V6. With poor flowing heads it made 240 hp/260 lb-ft torque, and comes in very quickly. The Eaton M90 isn't the most efficient, it isn't even a positive displacement blower, but it is low cost and is simple and well supported with pulleys down to 2.8...
  15. EyesofThunder

Best Y pipe for street driven Lexus sedans

I am looking for a Y-pipe, even stock one for my 98 GS4. Just as long as it doesn't have the rust holes mine has got from the heat shield clamps... Any advice on suppliers or advice on building one? From reading this, pattern the stock one as close as possible. I was thinking of...
  16. EyesofThunder

Buick m90 into soarer (sc400)

A Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe supercharger would be probably easier to work with. It draws air in the back and exits thru the TOP, with piping to an intercooler. (yes I know, old post)
  17. EyesofThunder

98 GS400 Intermediate pipe?

I am looking for a source on just the intermediate pipe, from after the cats to the front of the first muffler. I can't find anyone with just that. I don't want a cat back full exhaust system. Just the intermediate pipe. Ideas?
  18. EyesofThunder

Wanted Wanted: Intermediate exhaust pipes for 98 GS400

Looking for a good pipe to replace my 98 GS400 intermediate pipes (rusting). GS430 pipes are fine too.... Thanks!
  19. EyesofThunder

95 ls?

Friend is looking at a 95 LS, what is good/bad on them? Any trouble areas? If he doesn't get it, I might, would love to upgrade my wife's car to a LS.... Thanks!
  20. EyesofThunder

When to change valve springs?

Springs don't last forever but at what point should I be concerned with them?