Standalone ECU Wolf V550 coil on plug conversion issues

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

wavesailr

I'm running a 1992 1uzfe from an LS 400 on a Wolf V550 ECU. The engine was swapped into a 1992 4Runner and was running beautifully before doing a coil on plug conversion using Denso coil packs.
After configuring the Wolf V550 to run sequential fuel injection and individual coils, I can't get the engine to fire anymore. I think the issue is with programming the V550. I've checked the wiring 3 times now to ensure the coils and injectors are wired correctly.
I'm looking for someone who has done a coil on plug conversion using a Wolf V550 to compare ECU programs with. I think I haven't configured the ECU correctly since it seems like the firing order is off or the reference/sync signal isn't aligned correctly in the ECU.
If anyone has experience with the Wolf V550, I would REALLY appreciate some help getting this thing configured correctly.
Thanks,Rob

Not familiar with the Wolf ECU, but am fairly familiar with COP conversions and have done them on a number of engines including 3 of the UZ's. Here are a few things to look for:

1. If it was running fine before the COP conversion, were you running a twin coil distributor setup, as per OEM, with external igniters?

2. You didn't mention which type of coils you're running now, but are you perhaps trying to directly fire "dumb" Denso pencil coils which need igniters, with an ECU that is setup for "smart" coils (with onboard igniters)? Or vice versa?

3. Getting the firing order right is always a challenge. Obviously a typical ECU's typical firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 bears no relationship to the cylinder numbering and firing order of the engine itself, so you have to make a translation table. Here is a pic of the cylinder numbering and firing order of the UZ engine:

Lexus UZ Firing.jpg

cribbj,
Thank you so much for the help.

Before the conversion, I was running the stock ignition system with twin coil distributor setup, as per OEM, with external igniters.

I'm now running Denso 673-1308 coils which I thought did not need external igniters. I can see that I am getting spark with the coil connected to the spark plug when cranking.

I do have the cylinder firing order set as you show above.

Have you had a timing light on it to see where it's firing? If you have spark on all cylinders then you may need to change the trigger offset.

Was it set to sequential injection before swapping the coils? Changing from group to sequential may require an overall fuel adjustment as sequential fires once per full engine cycle(720degrees) whereby group generally fires twice per engine cycle(once per revolution)

SOLVED!!

The problem was that the Sync/Reference signal was 90 degrees off from where I expected it to be (Cylinder 1 at TDC). So, I had to reconfigure the ignition offset so that Cylinder 4 fires first. The firing order is exactly the same, but starts 90 degrees later. I have attached the Wolf V550 program to help anyone else who may experience this problem.

I still need to adjust the fuel and timing values since it's running really rich now and still needs to be dyno's so please consider this a STARTING MAP ONLY.

Aloha.

Attachments

• 1uzfe M90 ID725 COP 04-23-2017.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 46
+1 to what Gloverman said!

Let us know how it runs with the Wolf once you get everything sorted?