Recent content by markstoys

1. M

Flex-hone or pay the pros?

I usually encourage people who seem interested in DYI stuff--but this is one of those things that seems simple (and it sort of is), but is VERY easy to mess up. There are many ways this could go wrong--and you won't know for a few hundred or a thousand miles. I have done it a few times on a...
  2. M

DO NOT take cheap cross drilled rotors to the track!!

Yes, it is a rear. I have adjustable brake bias, and it was set with WAY too much rear bias. How hard are you on the brakes after a run? Because unless you are at the limit of traction EVERY time, and have wide sticky tires up front--then I wouldn't worry. It probably does, because my first...
  3. M

This is exactly what I have heard. When I was first putting the car together, I just wanted some cheap rotors--and found that cross drilled and slotted ones weren't much more than plain ones, plus they look cooler. No more drilled or slotted for me. When I saw how cracked the rotor was, the...
  4. M

Everyone should already know it, but... This happened at my last driving event at the Streets of Willow, on Aug. 16. I got these rotors off ebay years ago, and they lasted almost 5000 street miles and a couple of previous driving events with no issues. I was driving REALLY hard this time, and...
  5. M

Air resonator box: retain/delete?

I thought I saw a test several years ago where they found they LOST a few HP by deleting it. Something to do with resonant frequencies in the intake.
  6. M

what is a safe AFR?

Mine has lasted 5000 miles running these numbers at 10 lbs/6000RPM--and it spends a high percentage of its time at WOT.
  7. M

My car on The Smoking Tire

Those of you who have been here for a while may remember my posts while this car was being built a few years ago. I will say again that there is no way this car could have been built (let alone come out so well) without the input I got from this forum. If you want to see and hear it in action...
  8. M

Throttle Body The Right Way Up??

I am running a TB off a Ford F350 upside down with no problems. I needed to do this for linkage clearance. Mark
  9. M

Blow by

I am running an M112 supercharger, and I was also having PCV problems. I had done what Lex said NOT to do, namely plugging the passenger side vent and letting the PCV valve on the driver's side do all the work. When on boost, I was getting oil blowing past the valve cover gasket on the...
  10. M

1UZ into 89 240sx swap

Looks good. Can't wait to see it going sideways.
  11. M

Running the flex plate AND a flywheel

I don't have experience with your exact situation, but as someone who has cobbled together more stuff than most I will give my opinion. I am guessing you are trying to keep the flexplate for the ring gear, but want a particular clutch set up that is not the correct size for a 1UZ. I don't...
  12. M

Wanted WTB: Stock SC400 Exhaust Manifolds

I don't know how I missed this post. I hope you got them by now. Let me know if you didn't, I'll find the tracing info. Mark
  13. M

Newbie looking into 1UZ into a TE27 Corolla

I agree about the balance--it will be worse. TE27's are light, fairly nimble cars, but are already front heavy. Now if you are drag racing or drifting, then it will be a great set up. But there is definitely something to be said for low RPM torque: 250 HP from a V8 will be way more fun than...
  14. M

Sent it out Standard Post yesterday.
  15. M

I'll stop by the Post Office on the way home today.