Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
looks good, i love the cross over downpipes. looks like a lot of progress sence last saturday, that intercooler endtank suggestion is a really good one, smooth is always good when you dont want things that are moving to slow down.

Looking good Ryan...sure is a full engine bay now :)

Any reason why you didn't merge the DPs straight into each other as they head down? Looks like that would give you a bit more clearance to some heat sensitive bits?

Ryan it looks like the patience and perseverance (and no doubt, tons of money) you've invested are finally paying off. Congratulations, it looks great. Can't wait to see/hear the first vid; it's really a special moment when you fire it up for the first time.

Not to take anything away from your fabricator, but Justen makes a good point. You definitely wouldn't want a tee, but a "Y" merge right there with a set of V-bands sure would have been easier and still would have the "bling" factor.

Still, the crossover pipes do look trick.....

The conecrn was the "Y" marge was much more straight if we did that due to the closeness of the turbos to each other. So, he ran them down this way to keep the two turbos from "fighting" each other. In the previous set up, the Y merge as much higher up, and it was felt that this was a much better design for flowing the exhaust gases out. The merge is still a "Y". I may have to add some additional shielding to sensitive parts in the front of the motor. Here is a pic of the DP as it stands alone.

sc400tt102.jpg

sc400tt101.jpg

Let me know your thoughts, now is the time to make changes...

Ryan

Nothing wrog with the design Ryan and should flow very well....i was just a little concerned how close the pipes run to belts, rad other plastic bits.

Ideally i would ceramic coat those pipes as well as getting some heat wrap on them.....this gives measurable power gains so good to do anyway but in this case i think you need the maximum thernmal control you can get.

Top quality work as always though...should fly :)

Ryan, I think a custom built, divided "Y" collector would look way cool, and would function well too, but it would probably wind up costing you more than what that crossover pipe setup did.

We used divided Y setups on big twin turbo industrial engines, and once the exhaust gasses from both turbos were flowing in the same plane, we eliminated the divider and let them merge.

Thanks Justen and John. I do plan to maximize the thermal protection in there. I checked into JetHot. Any other suggestions for Ceramic that works and lasts other than JetHot Coating? I hate to wrap those pipes, wrapped pipes look so damned ugly. I am considering some thermal blankets that could be wrapped around them. Space is tight...

I do like the thought of the Y Merge collector, Burns could probably do one, but at great cost, and difficulty. At this point, I want to get it running, thenstart tweaking it to maximize power and performance. Again, please send your suggestions, no ego here to hurt.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan, I think a custom built, divided "Y" collector would look way cool, and would function well too, but it would probably wind up costing you more than what that crossover pipe setup did.

We used divided Y setups on big twin turbo industrial engines, and once the exhaust gasses from both turbos were flowing in the same plane, we eliminated the divider and let them merge.

Nothing wrog with the design Ryan and should flow very well....i was just a little concerned how close the pipes run to belts, rad other plastic bits.

Ideally i would ceramic coat those pipes as well as getting some heat wrap on them.....this gives measurable power gains so good to do anyway but in this case i think you need the maximum thernmal control you can get.

Top quality work as always though...should fly :)

Sorry can't help with US coaters...anyone that does work for race teams is a good place to start.

A good quality (white) wrap that is done neatly can look touch i reckon? or you can paint it with matt black heat paint for a bit more stealth look so people focus on the other 'bling' in the bay :)

I always try to use both as wrap does a much better job and the ceramic coating protects the pipe from the extra heat the wrap causes. On my GT4 celica with a horrible heat retaining engine bay, i could touch the DP after a run so the combo works incredibly well.

At the end of the day though you can only do what will fit but well worth a try.

For thermal protection, wrapping is still better than ceramic coating. For look, ceramic coating is better. Keep in mind that wrapping takes more space in tight area than ceramic coating. There's always a trade-off. I prefer wrapping because I could touch the downpipe after a long drive. There're 3 colors of wrapping fiber material that you can choose. They're black, brownish bronze, and tan. I think you could ceramic-coat the system with proper heat protection with muliple layers and make it really thick.

Procoat, 5301 W Crenshaw St, Tampa, FL 33634, (813) 882-8091

they have a nice black high temp ceramic coating that would look good, and hold heat in, and will last many years longer then paint, ive had many parts coated by them, may done years ago that i still own today.

Ryan, I'm not wild about the looks of wrapped exhaust either, but to me, blankets over the turbos don't look bad. (personal preference).

You're probably already aware that BoostLogic sell these? I'd have the turbines ceramic coated first, then put the blankets on them. They would definitely shield the soft bits (rubber belts, hoses, fingers, etc.) from the heat.

B/L probably would also consider making some wrap around blankets for your DP, but you'd have to send them that assembly for them to custom fit it.

Last, if it were me, I'd consider changing to v-bands on that DP where it mates to the turbos. V-bands are so much easier to work with than flanges and take up less space.

Ceramic and heat shielding in specific critical places.. At least with shielding there's no maintenance..
I think the longer Y you have is better if there is any expansion issues ??
The longer the two are before merging the better, IMO..

Ceramic and heat shielding in specific critical places.. At least with shielding there's no maintenance..
I think the longer Y you have is better if there is any expansion issues ??
The longer the two are before merging the better, IMO..

That is why we did it that way...

Ryan

Hello gang. A major milestone has been accomplished...The plumbing is now completed!! There are a few tweaks that need to be done in about two weeks, but, I repeat, the plumbing is done. Except for the FMIC and intercooler tubing, all tubing from the heads to the mufflers is stainless.
I want to offer up special thanks to Mike Young, who I had finish what he started. Also, special thanks to VIctor and F&H Performance for taking over my unfinished project from DC and joining with Mike to finish my plumbing fabrication!! Without their dedication and commitment, I would most certainly have lost many thousands of dollars due to the sudden closing of DC, not to mention having to take a partially completed project to yet another fabricator...I am in your debt guys...take a bow, you deserve it!! F&H is an excellent shop!!
All that is left before my car parks back in my garage for final completion is paint. That is where it is now, and I do expect it will come back looking better than it did when it came off of the showroom floor. I have decided to post up some pics of the work...Mike, you sure can fab and weld...
For anybody that wondered if Mike's integrity was in question because he worked for and stood up for Ian Hannigan, well, I will tell you that Mike assured me he would finish my project when DC first went down, and I believed him. He has proven himself to me that he is a man of his word. During this most frustrating several weeks since DC went under, I was constantly assured by Mike that he would not let me down, and he did not. It is because of Mike, Victor and Billy Herndon (the landlord of DC) that I never really worried about my car, and that is why I also left my car there for 3 weeks to see if DC and Billy could work it out. I had faith that Mike would keep me whole. He and Victor did indeed do so. For those of you that suggested that Mike should have left town, you owe him a large apology.
Here are some more pics of Mike's fine work:
sc400tt124.jpg
sc400tt104.jpg
sc400tt106.jpg
sc400tt107.jpg
sc400tt105.jpg
More to come...
Ryan