Grounding 1UZ ECU casing in a fibreglass car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mat Grant

Hi all,

I've fitted a 1UZ to a Lotus, it is running, but the ECU is not bolted in yet, just sitting on the floor of the passenger footwell. I was planning on mounting it at the end of the passenger footwell, using rubber shockmount fittings, and install a cut down version of the plastic cover from the Soarer the engine was taken from. The car is made of fibreglass, so my question is, does the ECU casing need to be separately grounded? If so would tapping into one of the ECU grounds be adequate, or should I run a ground wire to a ground point on the chassis/pedal box? Or does it have a built in ground for the casing? (makes mental note to test this in the car)

Any advice or suggestions welcome... For info my ECU is the 1992 Soarer three plug 40:40:40 type.

Thanks, Mat

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong section.

In general, it's bad practice to mix instrument (ECU & low level inputs) grounds with power grounds and other noisy sources (injection, ignition, etc.). So my kneejerk recommendation would be to try and run a separate ground for the ECU and its inputs.