96.sc400 2nd Gen 4.0.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dpksc400

I need help with the location of the correct timing marks. For both the timing and the rotors a picture that will show them clear as day. And procedure on how far I am going to have to tear it down to just straighten out the timing it's off by one tooth on the Belt. I have a friend of mine that did this timing belt and water pump and I don't know what happened but it's running like crap and from what I can see the way he left it it just seems like it's off one tooth on both sides. I have not been able to drive this car for 6 months for one reason or the other. And I can't seem to find a good picture of the marks for a SC 400 1uz. I know there is a lot of threads on the topic but can someone please point me in the right direction before I have another heart attack. This crap is stressing me out. Thank you.

don't have a pic off hand,
but there are two marks high up in the front of the engine and one mark low down

the pulleys at the end of the fuel cam shafts each have a small mark in the inner edge
these tiny marks have a corresponding marks on the engine the corresponding marks are like dents in the metallic cover behind the pulleys
the dent on the RH side is in roughly 1 am/2 am position, the LH mark is in roughly 22 pm/23 pm position
(I may have mixed LH and RH above, but if you look in both positions 2 am and 22 pm behind the pulleys you should easily spot the dents,
the length of the dents are roughly 2 cm)

when looking for the marks on the pulleys, don't mix those with the small "fingers" pointing up from the pulley (these fingers are there for triggering purposes)

you must align the crankshaft pulley with the 0 mark on the metallic cover behind the pulley before you embark on the rest

on the frontpage of this forum there are links to tutorials on changing waterpumps and timing belts, some good pics there

I have messed around a lot with timing belt lately. I find that it is easy to get it off by 1 tooth when you apply tension to the belt.
What has been a help to me is using colours on the belt and the pulleys when you have it right, very quick ans easy to spot if the belt goes off when you have colours in the correct position.

I need help with the location of the correct timing marks. For both the timing and the rotors a picture that will show them clear as day. And procedure on how far I am going to have to tear it down to just straighten out the timing it's off by one tooth on the Belt. I have a friend of mine that did this timing belt and water pump and I don't know what happened but it's running like crap and from what I can see the way he left it it just seems like it's off one tooth on both sides. I have not been able to drive this car for 6 months for one reason or the other. And I can't seem to find a good picture of the marks for a SC 400 1uz. I know there is a lot of threads on the topic but can someone please point me in the right direction before I have another heart attack. This crap is stressing me out. Thank you.

if you look at the front page of this forum you find a button Tech Articles, press it and a new page comes up it has a button Tutorial in the upper left part
press it and a list of tutorials will come up, there is one on Changing camshafts and two on Changing timing belt

these will give the guidelines on how to do this, however, unfortunately there are no good pics showing the timing/alignment marks
I can see one of the cam marks, but that is just because I know where it is

as to uncover/stripping down, the tutorials above will give you a good idea;
i would do the following;
uncover the camshafts
uncover the crankshaft pulley
uncover camshaft pulleys
remove distributor caps and rotors
uncover the arm that is used for tensioning the timing belt

there are 5 sets of marks for alignment, 3 at the engine front and two on the camshafts

start with turning engine clockwise so that the mark on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the 0 mark behind the pulley

(now, most people will say; remove the crankshaft pulley to get to the smaller timing belt pulley behind,
last time I adjusted timing, 1 week ago, I did not remove that pulley, that worked OK for me)

I mentioned the timing marks on the camshaft pulleys in another comment

in the middle of the camshafts there are gears, on the backside of the gear wheels there is one timing mark on each wheel, on the fuel cam and one on the exhaust cam,
a dent in the wheel's surface is the mark
these should be aligned, ie be as close to each other as possible

the marks on the front of the engine for the cam pulleys you will see as soon as you uncover,
roughly 2 cm long dents in the metallic cover behind the cam pulleys
look in the 22 pm and 2 am positions