89 LN130 2 Door Conversion Wiring Pt1

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Steveshady

Hey everyone,

I'm taking the plunge and doing a 1uz conversion on my baby- It's an 89 LN130 Surf SSR Limited of the 2 door variety. It came factory with the mighty (pfft) 2L-TII, and the R150F 5 speed 4x4.

As yet, the 1uz is still sitting in the donor car (Soarer, year unknown) at a mates, some 50+ km away, so thats not really of much concern at this point (Hopefully...)

I'm starting the massive undertaking of delooming everything thats unnecessary (engine harness, superglowII Glow plug system etc) to declutter the engine bay in preparation for the new install.

What I would like to know, is will I need to keep the original 2L-TII ecu to run anything else, or can I remove it completely?

I may be slow to reply at times, but all help is mutely appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers for the response gloverman.

Just so we're on this same page, this is a 2LT-II engine and ecu, not the later model 2L-TE version. Does the same rule apply (to your knowledge)?

From what I understand, there are variations to the pin setup (Sorry for my lack of terminology) at the ecu, do you know if that is correct?
Reason I'm asking is, I want to know if I should be keeping any of the power and earth wires for powering the new Comp (likely to be a megasquirt 2)
Which are hopefully spliced into the starter/alt loom at the right place from factory (Does that at all make sense to you??)

Also, is there any voltage/current regulation that could play havoc with getting accurate readings/functions on the dash/controls, from doing the ecu removal?

Trying to cover my ass here with all the questions, and putting in the hard yards not to butcher any of the wiring. Goal is to have everything possible work to a factory standard, deloomed and as tidy and functional as possible.

So far I've removed the glow system and re-routed the headlights and cleaned out 90l of used diesel oil.
I'm yet to split the remains of the engine to ecu from the gearbox wiring, plus everything else...
What else is there to remove??

Heres a pic of the ecu anyway, I've written all info out best I can, but there is a couple or 3 numbers missing.
I'll post some pics of the the engine bay Tomorrow or Friday eve

2L-TII ecu.jpg

Cheers!

I drop out the stock ecu on all the early diesels. Dash will work perfectly. I often make up a set of relays then use the glow power supply which is fused for the EFI systems. Works well and the wiring is already there. The Stock ECU wires could be used as ignition trigger if you wanted. Presently I have another one of my own on the go. VZN130 this time

A couple of things to add to your shopping list are the V6 4runner (Surf) hand brake lever and front cable plus the instrument cluster out of the same as it gives you a cleaner look plus it's easier to get the tacho working with the V8. Where possible I also try to use the V6 4runner fuel tank as this gives you the submerged fuel pump

I drop out the stock ecu on all the early diesels. Dash will work perfectly. I often make up a set of relays then use the glow power supply which is fused for the EFI systems. Works well and the wiring is already there. The Stock ECU wires could be used as ignition trigger if you wanted. Presently I have another one of my own on the go. VZN130 this time

Cheers for the heads up on that Gloverman, I've been taking my time, only removing the bare minimum at this stage. Already 100x better! I'll move on to the next step with the wiring once I've got the engine in the hole- thats still a couple steps away as yet.

Stock ECU wiring as ignition triggers sounds like the ducks nuts to me, will definitely keep that in mind.

PS- Been scouring the forums and noticed snippets of info about ya, totally respect this is your line of work and will not ask specifically for knowledge.
Cryptic open ended messages I can work with haha!

Here's some pics of progress so far
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2481.JPG
    IMG_2481.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 8
A couple of things to add to your shopping list are the V6 4runner (Surf) hand brake lever and front cable plus the instrument cluster out of the same as it gives you a cleaner look plus it's easier to get the tacho working with the V8. Where possible I also try to use the V6 4runner fuel tank as this gives you the submerged fuel pump

Thanks Samsdad,
Had read that is a common swap, and on your recommendation I've already started nosing around for those parts. Much appreciated

I see you also have a 2 dr surf, when you say its a widebody, what do you mean?

Widebody = Factory flares and alloy wheels. I've actually sold it now after some idiot tried to buy his wife a 120 Prado then liked it too much. Now to save you a lot of grief I have the factory wiring diagrams not only for the V8 Soarer engine but also the Surfs including the "ECU" for the 2L-TII. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send them to you. They're on my laptop and not the puter that I'm using at the moment. You're pretty much looking at a pin match then add a relay to run the fuel pump. The Soarer ECU can also be cheated easily to run a manual trans

Widebody = Factory flares and alloy wheels. I've actually sold it now after some idiot tried to buy his wife a 120 Prado then liked it too much. Now to save you a lot of grief I have the factory wiring diagrams not only for the V8 Soarer engine but also the Surfs including the "ECU" for the 2L-TII. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send them to you. They're on my laptop and not the puter that I'm using at the moment. You're pretty much looking at a pin match then add a relay to run the fuel pump. The Soarer ECU can also be cheated easily to run a manual trans

Legend! Thanks very much mate, have sent you a PM